Let's talk about Wyches

Vel'Cona

Right now my favorite Succubus build is one that someone on The Dark City, Soulless Samurai, came up with: Cult of Strife, Precision Blows, Hydra Gauntlets. It's a fun build, but I love it because it's being called a "fisticuffsubus."

Access to the wych cult weapons probably isn't a huge deal for succubi conisering agonized/glaive/relics are better, but it's very nice for modeling purposes. However, cult of strife succubus with +1 strength drug is already s5 before the glaive, so Hydra gauntlets might not be bad in that case.

Access to the wych cult weapons probably isn't a huge deal for succubi conisering agonized/glaive/relics are better, but it's very nice for modeling purposes. However, cult of strife succubus with +1 strength drug is already s5 before the glaive, so Hydra gauntlets might not be bad in that case.

Cult of Strife is +1A; the +1S cult is Cursed Blade :P

But yes, Cursed Blade seems like a decent choice if you're up against T4 infantry on the reg so that pretty much all your CC is S4.

Right cursed blade, my b. At least it looks like now there's at least 2-3 good succubi builds that you can make for them to really make their pts back, and not just be a useless character to fill a detachment slot. 

If nothing else, Wyches unlock Patrols/Battalions/etc. for the various Cults so you can keep the CPs up and get access to Reivers and Hellions.  Since they're reasonably cheap and the requisite Succubus is also bargain-basement (and Lelith is actually amazing for her cost), it's much easier to slide in a Wych Cult detachment as needed.  I'm still not sure Wyches will actually do anything in game, but I'm willing to try them anyway :)

Now granted the only game I've got in so far post-codex was against tau, so the wyches easily chewed through 2 units to stealth suits and a kroot unit, but I think wyches are not bad at all. You're getting a pretty solid deal for 8pts/m, and you can pump them up to rather high strength or attacks with a combination of drugs/obsessions. Delivery for them still isn't great, but raiders don't suck and they are cheap, pack say 2 raiders full of wyches and have other fast threats in your army and I'm sure some wyches will make contact. Plus the shardnet&impaler rules change really helps wyches, they can actually reliably keep the unit they are fighting locked up in cc. 

I have really enjoyed my "Wyches" (quotes because almost everything is being proxied right now).  I ran a Patrol of Cursed Blade and another of Strife. Blade got +1A, Strife got +1S, so both units were effectively S4 with 4 attacks per model.  They are pretty devastating.

My one singular complaint about Wyches is that their gladiator weapons are not 1 in 3, so you could take 9 with full gear and throw a succubus in there too. As it stands, the Succubi really get a work-out hoofing it to keep up, so they have been getting +2" movement or +1WS if they have a glaive.  I actually really like Lilith for this type of list, she doesn't require a relic to be a beast, and can use the movement buff to at least somewhat keep pace.  She's always a great choice if I'm not running Cracky (Phial relic and Stimm Junkie).

Yeah Lelith is the only special character I'd probably take, she makes Drazhar look like a punk. 

4 s4 attacks is quite solid. If I was going to run two wych unis though, I might try going to to 3 for a battalion, One 5 man unit could be a throw away with a shardnet, other two could be full 10 mans, one with 3 attacks s5, the other with 4 attacks s4. It is a shame you can't take one special weapon per 3, but I tend to just throw my succubus in a venom with an archon anyway. Regardless definetly think wyches don't suck anymore. 

I wouldn't run Urien because I don't like his model, but you're absolutely right his aura is incredibly for coven units. Him buffing some grots/taloi is sweet. 

My opponents rarely bother with my character venom, they are more worried about units that actually do shooting damage. I imagine that will change though no that my succubi/archons with relics actually are good melee combatants. 

Yes, we have so many character options now. I get the battalion approach, I just wanted to run lelith and a raiding party. It was a small 1000 point game, so two Cult patrols and the rest of the list was a Kabal patrol.

I don't know if I really like the idea of a 5-strong Wych squad, I think at a battalion level I would go ahead and take 3 full squads.  A, S and T are all great buffs for large units.  Then again, the T can be your dedicated tie-down unit, so all they really need to be effective is a shardnet, so this can be the bodyguard for transported HQs.

Do it, before GW deletes that detachment from matched play! Lilith and 3 relic Succubi. Whoop whoop. Only problem is they really need a warlord trait to go full hog, so they won’t be operating at full capacity.

Right now my favorite Succubus build is one that someone on The Dark City, Soulless Samurai, came up with: Cult of Strife, Precision Blows, Hydra Gauntlets. It's a fun build, but I love it because it's being called a "fisticuffsubus."

I don’t like that name, I call mine Kung Fu Hustler. The Stim Addict/Phial build I call Cracky, and am hunting for bits to make her look really whacked out. Gonna go with super pale skin and visible black veins everywhere.

If nothing else, Wyches unlock Patrols/Battalions/etc. for the various Cults so you can keep the CPs up and get access to Reivers and Hellions.  Since they're reasonably cheap and the requisite Succubus is also bargain-basement (and Lelith is actually amazing for her cost), it's much easier to slide in a Wych Cult detachment as needed.  I'm still not sure Wyches will actually do anything in game, but I'm willing to try them anyway :)

Mathematically, they really seem the best way we have of clearing big chaff screens. You will be disappointed if you are trying to outmelee Berserkers.

Archived