Lychguard vs Preatorians

Sweetcurse

Trying to decide between the two for which to build. At a glance, seems Lych are better overall with scythes. Praetorians are faster but no invul, no deep strike, no dynasty, and a questionable weapon. I want to like them but they just don’t seem to fulfill any solid role. Lych with shields seem situational. I got three forgebane dominance 15 possible to build. What are your thoughts?

As always, “depends on the rest of your list.”

For me, I think Lychguard are a great counter assault unit esp vitally if you’re going silver tide surrounding Anrakyr or such. Or if you warp them in with a Monolith or Night Scythe. I lean towards Warscythes at the moment since Dispersion shields make them so expensive yet they’re not really mobile enough to do anything with them. Warsxythes at least will hurt IF you ever get them into combat.

Praetorians, on the other hand, are great independent units. With decent mobility (for Crons) and the inability to fail Morale, you can send them off on their own with out too much worry. The +1A AP-3 swords aren’t threatening enough to have them draw a ton of fire yet can do a decent amount of damage if they ever land a blow.

Personally, I knew gravitating towards Praetorians, but I’m going Mephrit.

I like Praetorians too.  I'm considering 2 night scythes for delivery, 2 units of 7...one will probably get shot down and delivering both of them via the stratagem for whichever one lives.

That being said, I also like Lychguard. 

Also, keep in mind, Indefrag (and anyone else), Praetorians don't get any Dynasty Chapter Tactic :-(

Judgement of the Triarch combined with voidblades could make for a fun combat phase, otherwise unique characters are required to buff Praetorians.

In all my experiences with Lychguard I have been thankful to have the 4++ save. Necrons in my experience deal damage by virtue of being alive long enough to whittle down their foes, and that invulnerable save has meant I get a Reanimation Protocol roll the following round often enough. Scythes are awesome but I'm glad I built mine with swords and shields. Lots of ways to get them across the board into the thick of it if you don't face an opponent who comes to you as well.

I like Praetorians too.  I'm considering 2 night scythes for delivery, 2 units of 7...one will probably get shot down and delivering both of them via the stratagem for whichever one lives.

That being said, I also like Lychguard. 

Also, keep in mind, Indefrag (and anyone else), Praetorians don't get any Dynasty Chapter Tactic :-(

Praetorians can't ride in night Scythes (or, indeed, monoliths).

I feel similarly to Indy, but I think Praetorians are better suited for counterpunch. Lychguard can get hurled into combat with Veil of Darkness or jumping out of a Night Scythe, so I have had an easier time getting them in despite their speed. Praetorians have no synergy with our army but they're fast so I have had more success in having them hang back and hop onto objectives or counterassault stuff that hits my lines.

With Lychguard I usually give them Scythes and then hurl them into the enemy. Even if they don't make it they have a well earned reputation so it keeps my other stuff safe while people run away or gun them down.

Well, that sucks. Never did that, but since everything is <DYNASTY> they really are left out of everything short of Orikan and Imotekh's buffs. 

Also, what's judgement of the Triarch? Don't have the codex yet. A stratagem or something?

Why can't they ride in Night Scythes?

The Invasion Beams rule specifically allows the setup of <DYNASTY> INFANTRY in reserve, so unfortunately, Triarchs don't fit the bill.

Well crappola. I missed that.  Huh.  I guess that answers the 7th edition question of weather Praetorians were allowed to ride in Night Scythes :-D

Well, that sucks. Never did that, but since everything is <DYNASTY> they really are left out of everything short of Orikan and Imotekh's buffs.

Also, what's judgement of the Triarch? Don't have the codex yet. A stratagem or something?

It's a 1CP stratagem that provides +1 to hit tolls for Praetorians in either the shooting or fight phase.

Built 10 with rods last edition to scare Terminators. Reckon the pistol/sword combo is better now.

But I'll take lychguard instead. Sword/board just looks cool! And scythes can maul anything.

Once I got over the fact that Praetorians (Prae? Torries? Rians? Aetors? gotta be a nifty nickname in there somewhere...) don't get any Dynasty buffs...I actually find it kind of liberating.

You can just send them off on their own with no babysitters. They won't fail Morale, they can move (relatively) fast, and having 3 attacks each is not too shabby. And those are S5 AP-3 attacks, mind you. Great bullies. It costs me 3x the points investment in my BA army to get Fearless, 15x S5 AP-3 attacks that can jump around...and no RP. Like all things, the trick is not to go overboard.

On a different note, for Rule of Cool purposes I really wish you could do Warscythes + Dispersion shields on Lychguard. The royal guard archetype with big shield and big polearm is just too cool.

Hidden Content

5a0729b48159757f459937f67615d5ba.jpg

http://mummy.popapostle.com/images/episodes/The-Mummy/soldier-mummies.JPG

Once I got over the fact that Praetorians (Prae? Torries? Rians? Aetors? gotta be a nifty nickname in there somewhere...) don't get any Dynasty buffs...I actually find it kind of liberating.

You can just send them off on their own with no babysitters. They won't fail Morale, they can move (relatively) fast, and having 3 attacks each is not too shabby. And those are S5 AP-3 attacks, mind you. Great bullies. It costs me 3x the points investment in my BA army to get Fearless, 15x S5 AP-3 attacks that can jump around...and no RP. Like all things, the trick is not to go overboard.

On a different note, for Rule of Cool purposes I really wish you could do Warscythes + Dispersion shields on Lychguard. The royal guard archetype with big shield and big polearm is just too cool.

Hidden Content

5a0729b48159757f459937f67615d5ba.jpg

http://mummy.popapostle.com/images/episodes/The-Mummy/soldier-mummies.JPG

If you’re drunk enough you can stretch their nickname to pretzels to go along with your croissants.

As for the sword and board look, I wouldn’t object to modeling them with pole arms and calling them the blades that go along with the shields. Some people may have issues with that though.

I went with Preatorians over Lychguard when i built the 10 models.

Preatorians Advantage

* fly (cc flyers, retreat and fire)

* mobile movement (vs slow sliver tide)

* auto-pass morale

* cool factor (I like the model's look over lychguard)

Remember it is your army and your play style.

I went with Preatorians over Lychguard when i built the 10 models.

Preatorians Advantage

* fly (cc flyers, retreat and fire)

* mobile movement (vs slow sliver tide)

* auto-pass morale

* cool factor (I like the model's look over lychguard)

Remember it is your army and your play style.

I have to agree. This might sound weird, but I think Lychguard are "better" overall and on paper, but the untethered nature of Praetorians is what puts them on top for me. Sure, they miss out on Faction bonuses, but then again, they don't necessarily need any either.

Squads of 5 Praetorians don't really capitalize on their unique auto-pass morale rule. At Ld10 you have to lose 5 models (or 4 and be subject to negative modifiers) to have morale be an issue.

Not that I have any in my army at the moment, but I'd go with a 10 model squad to make use of A Purpose Unshakeable. Anyone else see any credence to that thought?

Lychguard with Scythes are worth it if you have a means to get them in. 20 s7 ap4 d2 attacks is a lot. I've found it to be one of the better anti armor techniques we have; I used Vargard Obyron and Nemesor Zandrekh Sunday in a friendly game to get 10 into combat. Multicharged Celestine and a Razorback, killed Celestine immediately and finished the razor in my opponents turn, leaving them free to charge again.

Even if there is no ideal target for lychguard on the board, their previous success means they're always a feared opponent, so they change the way my opponents play.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived