Heliomanii Cult - Army blog

Heliomanes

Super cool! I love this!

The dread is perfection but as much as I would be fine with it as it's awesome (and I'm sure the majority would be too) some may argue against the size of the exalted daemon prince compared to a standard daemon prince. I think this is what Arch faced in comments about his.

I say who gives a stuff its it made clear and it's cool!! This hobby is mucho expensive-o as it is without being strict about everything anyway! Be less restrictive! Make the hobby cool and accessible! Focus on social interaction!

Kudos.

Thank you for the kind words, brother!

I'm not much of a tournament player, so this was mostly intended to be an interesting modelling/painting challenge.

I'm still a bit unsure about it though. Maybe I should repaint the tentacles that stretch out from the ground in the same pale color as the Cthulhu LoC and the tentacle bits on the other models? Maybe add some sigils here and there?

Personally, I would say both are just about perfect as it is. In particular, I would be slightly wary of either alteration. The tentacles could be repainted, but if that includes lightening their color this could negatively impact how striking the model's powerful contrasting of hot and cold colors looks. As for sigils I would be wary of them especially--the concept is already carried by the breastplate, and too many of them could very well draw away from the model's...otherworldly incandescence, if that makes any sense? And that trait in particular is critical, since you're relying on it to differentiate this particular model from an Exalted Sorcerer.

But you are by far a more experienced painter than I am, so you probably have a much better idea of how to make a miniature look excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, personally I wouldn't touch that sorcerer, too much risk of ruining it.

Don't suppose you fancy joining us for the ETL? Our Outpost is here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346733-chaos-space-marines-outpost/

Feel free to ask questions in there or drop me a PM.

Dragonlover

• 1 month later...

Wow, those are some impressive conversions and beautiful paint jobs. Do you plan to use them for 30k and 40k or did you just think using the Rubric and Scarab Occult Terminator boxes was too easy?

I'm especially impressed by the Daemon Prince/Spawn thingy. Would you mind telling us how you made it?

Edited by Quixus

You are most kind, brothers!

Quixus: Uh... Which one do you mean? I don't mean to be difficult, but I genuinely don't know which of the models you are refering to :p

I used to build the force as a pretty standard 30k army, but wanted to move them over to a 40k force. Both because of my love for sorcerous weirdness, which might be a bit more fitting with the Thousand Sons in the 40k setting than before - and because most of my friends have more or less moved over from playing the Horus Heresy ruleset all the time, to exclusively playing 8th ed 40k.

Quixus: Uh... Which one do you mean? I don't mean to be difficult, but I genuinely don't know which of the models you are refering to :tongue.:

That one.

I used to build the force as a pretty standard 30k army, but wanted to move them over to a 40k force. Both because of my love for sorcerous weirdness, which might be a bit more fitting with the Thousand Sons in the 40k setting than before - and because most of my friends have more or less moved over from playing the Horus Heresy ruleset all the time, to exclusively playing 8th ed 40k.

That's what I figured but with those elaborate conversions I wondered, if you did choose the more difficult route for fun. Either way the result is great and you basically have two armies for the work of one and a half (I have no idea if the work load estimate is even close). :tongue.:

Ahh! Yeah, I'm really happy with her. I intended for her to be a Daemon Prince at first, but the size is way too big, so I'm going to use her as a Lord of Change whenever the opportunity presents itself. I've been thinking that I'll need to come up with some more Lovecraftian / Bloodbornesque lesser daemons to accompany it.

The kitbash is really simple. The body is actually the tail of Archaeon the Everchosen's mount, with a mucolid spore added as a head, and just using half of the wing bits from the Archaeon set.

In my defense, a local shop decided to sell off a lot of GW stock for pretty much nothing - so I got the Archaeon box for about the price of a few pints. Had no idea what to do with it, just wanted some weird bits I could have fun with.

• 6 months later...

Well, yeah. I just don't like the Ahriman model for 40k, and I'm too much of an obtuse special snowflake to use the model everyone got in the Prospero box. You have a point though - maybe I should make another one that is more clearly demarcated from the Exalted Sorcerers in some fashion? I have to think up a plan first...

Just a quick update. I'm preparing for a 2000p tournament that starts in a few months. It was pretty competitive last time, so I'm trying to up the ante a bit and attempt to bring out the stronger side of my Sons. Here's the list I'm considering. Any thoughts?

Thousand Sons batallion:
Ahriman on disk
Terminator Sorcerer. +1 to cast warlord trait and familliar.

10 cultists
30 Tzaangors w Brayhorn
30 Tzaangors w Brayhorn

10 Scarab Occult terminators. 2 missiles, 2 reapers.

Daemon batallion:
Changecaster
Fluxmaster

10 brimstone horrors
10 brimstone horrors
10 brimstone horrors

Thousand Sons supreme command detachment:
Daemon prince with wings
Daemon prince with wings
Daemon prince with wings

I really like how your army is coming along. I've seen the starfield kind of cloak stuff before and used to use it on my eldar (of all things... a long time ago). The Magnus wings... I meant to mention those a while ago. Very interesting take on it and I look at that stuff because I'm close to painting my second Magnus (sold the first) and although I like the original colours, I appreciate what you did with him. That mold line on his left forearm is simply killing me to look at though. lol

The list looks really solid. I wish you had room for pinks instead of all Brimstones, but it is cheap. I think the list can go a little more hardcore, but that's got a lot of potential. Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Appreciate it, my friend. I really wanted to go for something weird and "wizardy", with some Lovecraftian "cosmic horror" thrown into the mix. Really happy that you seem to enjoy them, despite their many flaws.

Lol, and yeah, that's actually a gap, not a mold line. Wish I'd seen it in time... Might have to fix it up and repaint the arm when I'm a bit further down my painting queue, but it's so much more fun to start with new conversions rather than touch up on old mistakes.

No need to apologize, you made it clear that the criticism was well intentioned and came from a good place - and it can be good to be reminded about your blind spots. I tend to rush through cleaning and preparing my models, since I find the real fun to be converting and painting, and I should learn to be a bit more patient.