Raptors new project

Johanhgg

Could someone explain the steps for the sponge effect? I like the effect and would like to use it for units and / or HQs that are wearing capes.  

(Cape hater here, but I didn't design the models :smile.:)

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Camo cloaks look great! The sponge effect worked really well.

Regarding your bases:

The guys that are sideways because your bases aren't level is driving me crazy. I think it looks wonky. I think they new bases look much more complete and polished than your snow bases but I think they blend in too much with your raptors. I do like the snow that you had because it helped to provide some contrast to your models.

What if you replaced the 'moss' with snow but left the rocks and shrubs? (You're reiver bases are a good candidate) I think the snow would give you the contrast but the shrubbery/rocks would give you some of the woodland theme that matches your camo cloaks.

Thanks alot for your comment!

Could someone explain the steps for the sponge effect? I like the effect and would like to use it for units and / or HQs that are wearing capes.

(Cape hater here, but I didn't design the models :smile.:)

Of course! This is how i do the scouts! Im basecoating in an appropriate colour (deathworld forest in this case, Dark Grey if i was doing urban camo). Then using a sponge, sponge away most of the paint on a tissue then sponge rather big random shapes on cape. Next colour is ogryn camo, do the same thing but not as big splotches and i try to make the green sploches cover a bit of the Brown. Last of all a coat of camoshade ✌

Aaalmost done with the first squad, need to highlight some weapons and put some more transfers on. I really would like to find my Brown weathering powder as well...only found the black one, and i think black soot on feet/lower legs wont do...

http://u.cubeupload.com/Johanhgg/66289FD8BCAC4075B795.jpeg

http://u.cubeupload.com/Johanhgg/AFDE83DE82A345F5891B.jpeg

Yeah those are great! The green and black are very well done. The bases are quite good too. Have you made them or are they resin/plastic?

Hey! Thank you very much! Ive made the bases :) some textured plastic sheets as metal floor, plastic tubings and such as details and rubble

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The cloaks are sponged! I think that i basecoated with Death world-forest, sponged Steel legion-drab, sponged Ogryn camo and then a wash of athonian camoshade

The cloaks look amazing!  I'm wondering why I didn't try that idea yet.

Nice looking army and you're inspiring some ideas for my own, thanks.

• 6 months later...

After a tour through several legions i fell down in hobby-hell. I went through so many projects that it only brought stress.

I wrote about it in my Raven Guard-thread. But even Raven Guard is too close to 30k, and it was 30k that brought me down. Raptors will be my salvation. Im going to love the hobby again with help from the raptors.

I slowly started painting Raptors again tonight. Scrapping every other project except my completed 30/40k Iron Hands and my 30k Dark Angels.

Lias Issodon and the first of 6 flamer aggressors:

http://u.cubeupload.com/Johanhgg/A1269C6273D341E680E1.jpeg

http://u.cubeupload.com/Johanhgg/A04290B2703547708CEA.jpeg