How are Primaris-only Raven Guard doing?

It's been a while since I've posted or been around. After a bit of a funk I'm going to try and pull myself out. I haven't played in a while and I think only modeling and not playing was wearing me down. I'm going to get a smaller game in this Friday (hopefully) and am pretty excited that.

So to repeat my initial question, how are primaris-only RG armies doing? I'm not looking to beat face, but I don't want to get rolled over when I play. I think eventually (several years) Primaris will be 'the' marines and current regular marines will be phased out or put on the back burner in the extreme.

That being said I've always loved the Raven Guard, but deep down I've always wanted to make my own chapter. When I first got into 40k I almost did my own RG successor chapter but was intimidated by created my own paint scheme/lore. That is no longer an issue since I'm confident in my ability to paint (never painted before 40k) and I've always loved created backstories.

I'm considering making my own chapter now consisting only of Primaris marines. I have the DI Primaris set so I have some models to start and can add in models as I need them. For now I'll pair my chapter with my RG so I can play until I'm able to fill out lists with my new chapter. At that point I may sell my RG units since I don't want to deal with repainting/basing them.

(Side note: I have to unbuilt knights that I eventually want to work in, along with the new baby knights if I can for when bigger games happen. I love the knight models so much, but I don't think running a 5 model knight army is the way I want to play 40k.)

Would love to hear thoughts on how this army might perform. Again - I want to have fun, I'm not looking to win every game. My focus tends to be narrative rather than competitive.

I can't tell you how they are doing "overall" (ie, in a competitive meta), but I can tell you that our chapter tactic synergizes nicely with a lot of the Primaris stuff.

Intercessors, with their 30" guns, can benefit our CT for quite some time.  Similarly, the Redemptor Dread can hang out for sometime with his 36" macro plasma, and he's quite durable with his 13 wounds and -1 to be hit.

Heavy plasma Hellblasters also have 36" range, and I recommend going with them both for our Chapter Tactic as well as the much needed str 8/9 weapons that are lacking in primaris builds.

For Strike from the Shadows, you have Aggressors which can deploy close to the enemy thanks to the stratagem, and unleash the most cost-effective dakka in the Space Marine codex since they don't have to move.

Thanks. Is a repulsor considered a 'must take'? I really like the idea of building an army that doesn't rely on vehicles that much.

What you've described is a lot of what I've been thinking about for a build. I'll add in the intercessors because I love them as a fire base in the back lines.

Are reavers turning out to be useful? When they first dropped it seamed that they were cool but didn't perform well. I'd like to be able to use them as area denial units so I'm not burning CP's on SFtS.

Thanks. Is a repulsor considered a 'must take'? I really like the idea of building an army that doesn't rely on vehicles that much.

What you've described is a lot of what I've been thinking about for a build. I'll add in the intercessors because I love them as a fire base in the back lines.

Are reavers turning out to be useful? When they first dropped it seamed that they were cool but didn't perform well. I'd like to be able to use them as area denial units so I'm not burning CP's on SFtS.

Repulsor is often considered essential to keep your HB's alive long enough to shoot with them. I don't know how critical that is in competitive meta, but again, with our Chapter Tactic and sticking them in cover, I would think they'd have some durability.  Throw in Primaris Ancient to let them get a shot off if they die and/or an Apothecary to heal the unit and you may be able to roll without a Repulsor.

I haven't heard of Reivers being reported well overall,  no. I've fought against them a couple times and I didn't think they did that much.  Area denial, sure, but it's pretty expensive area denial. 

The sad truth is that Primaris really weren't designed to roll alone without any original Marine help. There are wide gaps in your force if you try to do it without the original Marine stuff.   You can try to fill in with other stuff, but you're really not going to be cost effective there.  But for friendly games, I think you'll be fine.

The Raven Guard tactic is one of the best in the game for space marines and even more in line with Primaris. Most of the Primaris line wants to stay in that 12-18" range with deadlier units wanting to stay further away. 

Really appreciate the input from everyone. After this thread and reading some other stuff I think I may keep my RG army and just add on. I see a lot of merit to keeping the primaris/non-primaris unit composition for now. I think my rut was just a deep one. I've got a game lined up for Friday and have been looking at what to build/paint next.  I think I'll start working on a unit of Hellblasters that came with the DI set to get my primaris units some action and will try to source a box of aggressors for that sweet dakka.

Love this community!

Wish I could play you, man, to help get you of your rut, but you're about as far away as possible and still be in the States :-(

I appreciate that! I'll get a game Friday. I've posted in the local group. I'll look to play 1,000 points (no love for PL here). I think a smaller game will be good for me. Not too much stuff, but enough room to take a variety of units to work with and get familiar.

Although physically at some distance (the Warp does that, you know), your detachment is never far from the Ravenspire in spirit and communication ^_^

I agree that smaller games are a good way to get a groove going, one way or another.

I agree that smaller games are a good way to get a groove going, one way or another.

100%. Unfortunately for me the meta tends to lean towards 2k points. I don't have the time to commit to campaigns our even a weekend tournament. My free nights tend to be Fridays. I have to balance family/work/hobby and of the three hobby has to take the back seat most of the time. As the kids get older it will be easier.

Man, I'm in the exact boat.  You take starboard oars and row like a fiend :lol:

The only thing I can do is jump on FB and ask for low-point games before heading out.  No takers = no game because I'm not making the trek (as short as it is), to just sit around.  I'm already too old to be using time painting toy soldiers (from a certain point of view ... WIFE), to be sitting around waiting to play with them :P

Too bad we're not neighbors!

The local FB group is what I use as well. It's 20 minutes to the closest store. I don't mind the drive, but I refuse to make it hoping I can get a pick up game.

Usually if I can't get a game I'll try to spin it to the wife that I decided she was more important and I'd rather spend time with her ;)

My wife has no interest. She would never give 40k a shot but I do think I could get her to sit down for a mission of Betrayal at Calth since it's a board game (and a great one at that).

My son had always shown interest and lately has shown consistent interest in Necrons. He's only eight and is all over the place with his attention span so I'm hesitant to get him anything just yet. If he keeps it up I'll probably pick up the starter set or half of the Forgebane for his upcoming birthday.

Hi. One question to you guys.

Anyone use aggressors as CC unit, or sitting above 12” And twice bolter shots is really one valid options for them?

I thought about 2units of aggressors And captain with Raven WT. Use on them SFtS, put them as close as i can, then move, shoot to clear a screen, imitował charge with captain(No overwatch) And then charge with aggressors to put some damage With P fists with re-roll 1’s?

Is This valid or is just my fantasy of good CC combo?

Aggressors are no slouches in CC

Problem is that even if you StfS and double shoot you have a minimum of a 9" charge to make afterwards. So rarely do you get to double shoot and charge.

Most my CC work with them has been opponents charging me to their regret ... :D

Thats why I have two units of them! ;) :D

Fun combo:

SftS them in close to your opponent

They counter by DS something close by to incept

Use the Auspex scan to double shoot them

Let them charge you and double shoot overwatch

Then if you can intervene in combat and swing at them first with powerfists! :D 

Archived