How are Primaris-only Raven Guard doing?

What I think is odd (for me) is I hate the centurion models and think they would never go in my RG army. I have no issues with Agressors though... and they're really similar...

I love the Centurion models and love the rules for Aggressors. :/ 

But yeah dropping in Aggressors is a nasty business. I actually have a list that drops in three units of those bad boys with a captain. Then I use the rest of the points to build a Astra Militarum Gunline with anti-tank and heavy weapons. Though... when these squads are dropping 400+ bolter rounds on the turn they arrive... not much else is needed. These guys are diamonds in the rough.

24+4d6 bolter shots per Aggressor model. They bring the business.

I've been playing a RG Brigade that is almost exclusively Infantry, and most of that is Primaris.  It's been doing very well.

Here's 1 version of it:

Captain in Terminator Armor, TH/SS

Lieutenant, Jump Pack, Power Axe

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought, Twin Las, The Armor Indomitus

3x5 Intercessors w/ Power Sword

2x5 Tacticals w/ Missile Launcher ea.

5 Scouts

Company Ancient, Relic Standard

5 Vanguard Veterans w/ TH/SS

Apothecary

3 Plasma Inceptors

Tarantula

Tarantula

5 Hellblasters w/ Assault Plasma Incinerator

Thunderfire Cannon

There's a decent amount you can change in, for example 5 Aggressors is about the same cost as the Vanguard Vets, or you could finagle some points to get a Librarian in there instead of the Chaplain Dread.  Lots of options.  I often run a 10 man Grav Devastator unit.

Generally though, I think a good RG list is going to follow some basic principals:

• Run a double battalion or a brigade to achieve enough CP to utilize SftS properly, while still having some CP to drop on re-rolls or things like Tremor Shells/Honor the Chapter/Wisdom of the Ancients throughout the game. (you could go with a lot of jump units instead of using SftS...e.g. Plasma Inceptors could replace Hellblasters and save you a CP)
  • Make sure your units that are deployed via SftS are supported properly. (Terminator Captain, Lt, Ancient) You could go all primaris if you want here, but just need to use CP to deploy them.
  • You NEED ample screening in order to ensure your prime units remain > 12" away from the enemy.
  • Taking a single Repulsor (or any vehicle) is not a good idea because it's going to get shot off the board super quick.  If you want vehicles, I recommend Whirlwinds, Flyers, or Dreadnoughts.  Whirlwinds can hide out of LOS, and the others are -1 to hit.  Plus, flyers synergize well with RG in my opinion.
  • Bring at least one melee element.  The opponent is going to try and get close - you might as well have something to smash them in the face.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.

I've been playing a RG Brigade that is almost exclusively Infantry, and most of that is Primaris.  It's been doing very well.

Here's 1 version of it:

Captain in Terminator Armor, TH/SS

Lieutenant, Jump Pack, Power Axe

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought, Twin Las, The Armor Indomitus

3x5 Intercessors w/ Power Sword

2x5 Tacticals w/ Missile Launcher ea.

5 Scouts

Company Ancient, Relic Standard

5 Vanguard Veterans w/ TH/SS

Apothecary

3 Plasma Inceptors

Tarantula

Tarantula

Thunderfire Cannon

There's a decent amount you can change in, for example 5 Aggressors is about the same cost as the Vanguard Vets, or you could finagle some points to get a Librarian in there instead of the Chaplain Dread.  Lots of options.  I often run a 10 man Grav Devastator unit.

Generally though, I think a good RG list is going to follow some basic principals:

• Run a double battalion or a brigade to achieve enough CP to utilize SftS properly, while still having some CP to drop on re-rolls or things like Tremor Shells/Honor the Chapter/Wisdom of the Ancients throughout the game. (you could go with a lot of jump units instead of using SftS...e.g. Plasma Inceptors could replace Hellblasters and save you a CP)
  • Make sure your units that are deployed via SftS are supported properly. (Terminator Captain, Lt, Ancient) You could go all primaris if you want here, but just need to use CP to deploy them.
  • You NEED ample screening in order to ensure your prime units remain > 12" away from the enemy.
  • Taking a single Repulsor (or any vehicle) is not a good idea because it's going to get shot off the board super quick.  If you want vehicles, I recommend Whirlwinds, Flyers, or Dreadnoughts.  Whirlwinds can hide out of LOS, and the others are -1 to hit.  Plus, flyers synergize well with RG in my opinion.
  • Bring at least one melee element.  The opponent is going to try and get close - you might as well have something to smash them in the face.

Hope this helps!  Good luck.

Aggressors are melee. *wink* ^_^ Bring lots!

What I think is odd (for me) is I hate the centurion models and think they would never go in my RG army. I have no issues with Agressors though... and they're really similar...

But yeah dropping in Aggressors is a nasty business. I actually have a list that drops in three units of those bad boys with a captain. Then I use the rest of the points to build a Astra Militarum Gunline with anti-tank and heavy weapons. Though... when these squads are dropping 400+ bolter rounds on the turn they arrive... not much else is needed. These guys are diamonds in the rough.

24+4d6 bolter shots per Aggressor model. They bring the business.

Unless your're skimming for points, why not drop them with Shrike around them? Then you'r re-rolling for hits and wounds, seems like that would be pretty good. I currently deploy Shrike in the back with devastators to give them rerolls. I would think you could DS him in up front to provide support and if that starts to fail jump him back to the back lines to give re-rolls there.

I thought about SFtS Agressors, then move forward (I know, I won't shoot twice), then shoot, clear the screen and then charge, first with captain to avoid overwatch, and then make some charge with aggressors. After 9"SFtS and move 5" I can make some serious charge to the backline, when the screen is gone. Unit of 4 have 9 PF attacks with re-roll one of captain which have TH and 4 attacks? I think that is some CC potential. But it is worth second shooting? I don't know, and that is reason why I ask you:)

Talking Tactics ...

Unless one is just looking to pile on rerolls I don't think a double Battalion is must. Between deep striking Inceptors with Shrike and Reivers, I don't see room for more than 3 SftS units and I wouldn't send my Aggressors into the field without the support of the Grav-Captain.

I agree with duz_ on 5 being an optimal number for Aggressors. They are cost efficient enough it doesn't cost an arm and leg, and now bring enough force to be a danger to horde and bigun's ... deep strike a unit of Reivers in with them to run interference and you have one nasty backfield strike force.

Me too.  if only they could be ... :blink.:

... why not kit-bash Centurion models to be "counts-as" Aggressors ...

You're not helping. Checking the couch for loose change now. :dry.:

Archived