A Run of Blood Angel Victories

Palwatch

I've had a decent run of late with my blood angels. Of the last 5 games I have played, my results are

v Tau 2000 points - won on VP, Jump Pack Slamguinius' suitability proving crucial

v Thousand Sons 2000 points - won by tabling, completely wiped his army in 2 turns 

v Imperial Guard 2000 points - won by tabling, completely wiped his army in 2 turns 

v Iron Hands/Guard combo 2000 points - managed to win even though he was packing Guilliman and was giving his preds a 2 up save without telling me. I should have paid more attention. Would have tabled him otherwise.

v Imperial Guard 4000 points - won on VP. He had a baneblade and several hundred tanks

My list has seen a little bit of fine tuning, but I am almost at the point now where my 2000 point list is set in stone. 

Batallion

Captain Slamguinius, TH/SS, Artisan of War, Angel's Wing

Captain, Boltgun, Chainsword

Scouts (basic)

Scouts (Basic)

Tac x 5 Squad (Basic)

Sanguinary Guard x 7, Power Fists, Angelus Bolters

Sanguinary Guard x 6, Power Fists, Angelus Bolters

Inceptors - Heavy Bolters

Devastators - 2 x Las 2x Missile

Batallion

Mephiston

Lieutenant - Jump Pack, Plasma Pistol, Power Sword

Intercessor Squad x5 - Bolt Rifles

Intercessor Squad x5 - Bolt Rifles

Tactical Squad x 5- Basic

Stormraven - Las/Melta/HB/SS Missiles

Some colour

I switched to a double Battalion as it quickly became apparent that the extra 3 command points are far more useful than running a Vanguard. 

I quickly lost patience with Death Company. Died far too easily, points cost just didn't justify their inclusion over extra Sang Guard. 

Sang Guard are just insane in this game. I wish I could run 50 of them

Slamguinius is so flexible. I find a combo of Forlorn Fury on him and a 3d6 charge on one of the Sang Guard squads from Deep Strike is a real game changer. 

Going first is so important.

Mephy is a beast

Hope you find any of this useful

It's really funny to me how different the conclusions we all draw about out special units are. I'm at a point where I'm probably going to stop using Sanguinary Guard for quite a while in favor of Death Company- I find that two attacks just are not enough. I'm glad you're making them work though.

Why the naked Tactical Squads? I would expect you'd get more use out of other troops looking at the list but you clearly have a reason of some sort.

Sang Guard are just insane in this game. I wish I could run 50 of them

Slamguinius is so flexible. I find a combo of Forlorn Fury on him and a 3d6 charge on one of the Sang Guard squads from Deep Strike is a real game changer.

Going first is so important.

Mephy is a beast

Hope you find any of this useful

Love seeing you have success with what I find to be good as well! One question, how many power fists do you run per unit?

All power fists :)

I tend to put my tactical squads in the Stormraven with Mephy. If you drop im out before you move he gets 3 inch extra movement. 

Then you can just deposit the tacs wherever you need them

I’m having the same feelings towards DC and SG.

DC just get shot to pieces and don’t seem to live up to their reputation. To me, their only saving grace is re-rollable charges, but then you’re paying the Lemartes tax and boom, that’s 1/4 of your army for a suicide unit.

SG draw a TON of fire...but that’s ok if you plan for it. The combo of 2+/2W and 5+++ from the SoS goes a long way and having D:D3 weapons means there is not a target in the game they can’t at least scape a few health off of. I get why you run power fists (wound pretty much everything in the game on 2’s), but I like swords too much.

I'm the opposite, DC all the way.

I think it's mostly your local meta.

Mine is full of hordes packing plasma, or hordes shielding berzerkers, or guardians shielding a dark reaper castle.

Not things you want to send Sanguinary Guard into, as they'll drop in, kill something worth far less than themselves, and then die to a bunch of D2 high ap shooting, or berzerkers triple attacking.

But cheap, 7-8 men squads of DC are a terror, because they can charge 2 or 3 screen units at a time and just remove them, leaving the backfield open to other units, like captain slam, or a 2nd unit of DC, and stuff like attack bikes and intercessors can push into the gaps created.

I’m glad you’re doing well. I haven’t won a game in weeks. I mostly fight guard and I struggle so much digging through squads of guardsmen to get to the double shooting russes, that by turn three my back field has been shot to pieces and my deep striking hammer is shattered.

I do pretty well against other marines or knights or whatever. Hordes are just so difficult for me to deal with atm.

I’m glad you’re doing well. I haven’t won a game in weeks. I mostly fight guard and I struggle so much digging through squads of guardsmen to get to the double shooting russes, that by turn three my back field has been shot to pieces and my deep striking hammer is shattered.

I do pretty well against other marines or knights or whatever. Hordes are just so difficult for me to deal with atm.

What kind of ranged support do you have? Always take something to clear screens with you. Bolter Inceptors work very well there for example.

Don't rely on the Inceptor charge too much tho. They still have only two S4 AP0 D1 attacks per model. If some proper melee unit, especially a HQ, is nearby you'll lose them next turn if you charged something. 18" is huge, use that to dance around the nasty stuff and shoot it to death.

I was under the impression that he tried to use charge to keep them from getting targeted in the opponents shooting phase, in which case, depending on the appointment it’s a great tactic!

Don't rely on the Inceptor charge too much tho. They still have only two S4 AP0 D1 attacks per model. If some proper melee unit, especially a HQ, is nearby you'll lose them next turn if you charged something. 18" is huge, use that to dance around the nasty stuff and shoot it to death.

It's true that you have to pick your targets well but simply tying up a tank or three for a turn can be pretty crucial. They'll also do some solid work against something like a heavy weapons squad. You absolutely shouldn't let them get anywhere near your opponents nasty assault units but they're pretty solid against soft targets and it doesn't take much to keep a tank from shooting.

I was under the impression that he tried to use charge to keep them from getting targeted in the opponents shooting phase, in which case, depending on the appointment it’s a great tactic!

Also this

I have had some interesting things happen with inceptors charging. I had some charge a wounded Magnus, along with some Death co. Between the jump kicks for charging, the death co and the inceptor regular attacks, killed him with exactly the wounds needed. It turned the tide of the game, and when the other player asked why no one uses that ability I replied "It only comes up when :cuss has already hit the fan".

Also, the Idea of jump kicking Deamon Primarch for a wound is pretty funny to me.

Thats a good list but I'm not seeing how it's tabling oppoents in two turns. Especially vs guard...even a bad list either has too many bodies or too many tanks to be removed in two rounds.

You would be surprised how many tanks you can kill with a combination of Devs, Storm Raven and multicharging/fight twice

Archived