Power Play. Where to draw the line?

Nemerax

During semester holidays I picked up a Baneblade in my local store. My first one actually and while painting I fell in love with the modell, but can I use this tank in normal fun games or is it too much? I would like to know where you guys draw the line.

I have seen people going 5 Leman Russ in 1000 Points game, quite usual around my store actually to play that many vehicles. Super Heavies not so much. 

With overpowered options other factions, especially Marines, what is normal competitiveness for equal fighting/fun and what is playing to win only?

Definitely OK in my opinion to use the Baneblade in normal games... it’s one of my favourite looking tanks too and it’s not like you are spamming an OP unit. Though I was tempted to build a 2k list around two baneblades a while ago :)

It definitely depends on your local meta. If you think it might be too much for the usual lists you face then tell your opponent that you'd like to use a super heavy so he's prepared.

8th edition is designed to make using those units perfectly fine. But I would also do what sfPanzer stated. In friendly games I would just let your opponent know you would like to use it and make sure they are okay with it. The fun should really go both ways. :happy.:

Edit: spelling

Thank you very much for your feedback. 

It definitely depends on your local meta. If you think it might be too much for the usual lists you face then tell your opponent that you'd like to use a super heavy so he's prepared.

Local meta is really up to who you play against, but overall the play what is good, a few people try to use every rule hole they can find and sometimes the points of the list I played against do not fit in and are over more than 100 points. Fortunately those guys are bad at tactics.

8th edition is designed to make using those units perfectly fine. But I was also do what sfPanzer stated. In friendly games I would just let your opponent know you would like to use it and make sure they are okay with it. The fun should really go both ways. :happy.:

I will ask them, same as I go with two lists to every hobby evening.

What everyone else has said. First and foremost is fun for everyone. If people are down with it, run it! The awesome thing about 8th is that even guardsmen flash lights have the chance of killing a warlord if they roll enough 6's, which is far more balanced than the recent editions. If this was a game of 7th I might say differently but 8th offers so many more chances of killing that super heavies aren't nearly as scary as they were before.

Archived