The Blood Raven's Thousand Sons

The Yncarne

New game today:

Opponent: Adeptus Mechanicus

Mission: Tactical Escalation (I chose Storm and Defend)

Deployment: Dawn of War

Result: Loss 6-8. It looks close, but I only had the Prince, Ahriman, and 4 Scarab Occult left at the end of 4. The objectives I drew meant no chance of pulling out a heroic victory in another turn. If only I had selected Thousand Sons as my escalation type. :biggrin.:

My list:

• Ahriman on Disk
  • Smite, Prescience, Warptime, Temporal ManipulationExalted Sorcerer, force staff, Helm of the Third Eye
  • Winged Daemon Prince of Tzeentch - malefic talons (x2), Otherworldly Prescience, Dark Matter Crystal
  • 5 Scarab Occult Terminators - inferno combi-bolter (x5), power sword (x4), hellfire missile (x1), force staff
  • 5 Scarab Occult Terminators - inferno combi-bolter (x4), power sword (x4), hellfire missile (x1), soul reaper cannon, force staff
  • 20 rubrics - inferno bolt gun, force sword
  • 10 rubrics - inferno bolt gun, force sword, rhino - combi-melta
  • 10 rubrics - warp flamer (x5), force staff, rhino - combi-melta

Psychic shenanigans include:

• 4 perils rolled this game. One finished off the exalted sorcerer and another one took the AS and 1 rubric from the 20 man squad
  • Ahriman really likes to whiff. Peril'ed once, failed smite twice, and failed warp time once
  • I think the Exalted got two casts off this game
  • Daemon prince failed Diabolic Strength checks every turn

Other items of note:

• I need to get some soulreaper cannons for the large unit painted stat
  • Daemon prices with otherworldly prescience can be a pain to take down. It helps to have Ahriman nearby to try temporal manipulation and warp time.
  • Adeptus Mechanicus have an insane number of shots
  • Throwing dozens of dice for overcharged plasma and never overheating means you'll likely kill whatever you shoot at
  • I have got to find a way to remove enginseers as they just keep healing stuff faster than I can take it down 

Next week's goals:

• finish 10 more rubrics (ineligible for ETL)
  • assemble daemon prince for possible ETL

Sounds like Tzeentch had other plans in mind, that's some bad luck on psychic powers. Against all that charged plasma (with no penalty?) all is dust will be negated which is going to be very painful, both in losses and cost :(

Agreed WarriorFish. After two turns of rolling so many '1s' I knew Tzeentch had me in the 'not this time' role. I think he even was helping my opponent on the plasma. He simply would not miss. Given that I only removed 2 vehicles, an infantry unit, and an enginseer, it was pretty close. Had I picked 'Thousand Sons' as my preferred objective type, I actually would have won.

2018 ETL vow step 1:

I'm leaning towards painting this prince in purple and white to emphasize the cult rather than the Thousand Sons. I'm thinking of dry brushing the terminators gold then going back with the crystal blue as fills. I really dislike the thin ornamental design.

Looks like a list similar to what I run!  Love to see others spamming Rubricae. 

To get rid of the guys in the back of a Mecahnicus army that hold the army together (...literally) I go down the "pick all direct damage spells" route for Ahriman.  

I often put Infernal + Doombolt on Ahriman, toss a Firestorm on a random aspiring, then the Daemon Prince keeps Bolt. Make the Exalted in the back cast the "need to go off" spells or the buff spells with +1 (as the warlord trait choice I always pick +1 to cast) 

your going to put enough damage to kill many of his support hq's. On average I see 4-6 mortal wounds fly out against a single target, Sniped out many a commander, chapter master, or banner bearer that way.  I never diss on Firestorm, because that 1-2 wounds (being average) is more then enough to place that model in a dangerous health zone for a future spell to nail. Thats how you do it, sling that hate across the board and use the exalted in the back for buff tossing. 

Word of warning for that strategy; It WILL cost you your gaze of fate and possibly a CP re-roll. You will probably need it for something like infernal confirming a wound, or something like that. possibly Sorcerers Cabal would help if you go "must get this off!" moment.  We don't need no stinkin snipers. lol

New game today:
Opponent: Adeptus Mechanicus
Mission: The Relic
Deployment: Spearhead Assault

List: same as last post.

Result: Win. I had the relic at the end of turn 1 with the rubrick. Then they moved back to the board edge while everybody else blew stuff up. I went with the psychic setup from Sonoftherubric21. I think this is the first time I would have scored first blood via overwatch had it been in effect.

Still not sure about the Scarab Occult. On one turn 5 rapid firing combo bolters score one wound on a data engineer. Then next turn they killed 5 Skitarii rangers and forced 4 more to run away. The other squad didn't do much better.

Ahriman used Cabalistic Focus to get doom bolt off. Then I rolled an '11'. I had to keep him and the Exalted away from the 9 arquebus.

New game today, with some twists. I played with a friend against a single opponent on an 8' x 4' board.

Opponent: Adeptus Mechanicus (a different one) 3,000 points

Mission: Contact Lost

Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

Result: Victory (11-3)

Conclusions:

• People really bite on the 20 man rubricae squad. So far its lasted two turns
  • Rolling hot is its own reward:
  1. no perils
  2. max damage with combi-melta
  3. ~11 wounds via smite
  4. 4 mortal wounds from other spells
  5. 3 wounds via Firestorm of Tzeentch
  • Mortal wounds is the best way I've found to deal with vehicles
  • I took down my first knight. Huzzah!
  • I'm liking the all infantry list for now

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. It isn't exactly how I wanted, but it'll do for a secondary prince. The cold skin should be a good contrast with the warm metal I'm doing now. I hope to get it done this weekend.

Then back to the terminators.

Today, I've completed my second Daemon Prince of Tzeentch. This is part of my ETL 2018 vow. I have to finish a Scarab Occult squad to complete my vow. I have to gloss coat the talons and seal it, but it is table-ready.

This daemon prince was once a member of the inner conclave within the Sectai Prosperine. It was one of the first to ascend to prince hood after overseeing the destruction of much of the Blood Ravens' 4th Battle Group in M39.751. Much of its time is spent within the daemonic eddies of the warp, manifesting only when the cult's need is great.
gallery_2133_13638_138208.jpg
gallery_2133_13638_42707.jpg
gallery_2133_13638_108840.jpg
It isn't going to win any awards, but it will look okay from across the table. :smile.:
Thanks for looking.

Thanks Quixus.

• Yep, have to gloss coat the talons.
  • I'll do the eyes if I have some time. It really is a 'dot the I' scenario
  • I'm not sure I want to contrast the armor. In this case, he's more daemon than heretic astartes and I wanted something different, yet congruent with the rest of the models.

Thanks for the feedback. I think my painting peaked about 12 years ago. :)

I just thought the model had a lot of light blue/offwhite. To make it pop, I think interspersing it with a darker rich blue would really help. Blood red as Crusade armour  could also work.

Take a look at this GW picture. The black armour really accentuates the light skin, the loincloth on the other hand barely registers, because it is painted in such a similar colour as the legs.

Thanks Prot. I believe my frater are probably right in that my vision wasn't fully formed. Nevertheless, I gotta get to that final Scarab Occult squad to make my ETL vow.

If you've followed this thread closely, you probably know I'm old school with units that were introduced in 1st edition. What would be a good change of pace? I"ve been thinking about a detachment of oblits with the mark of Tzeentch. What should I look at next?

I played a 2500 point game against Tyranids yesterday. It was quite fun given I had no idea what to expect with Tyranids. I think I last played against them in 5th edition.

Mission: ? It is the first Maelstrom mission in the Chapter Approved 2017

Deployment: table corners

Result: Loss (14-15)

A very close game as the score indicates. My opponent got first blood by a sorcerer dying from perils. He peril'ed the turn previous as well so I guess Tzeentch was weeding out the sorcerer chaff in this game. If it wasn't for that and putting one more wound on Carnifex #7, it would have been a close win for me. That's how close it was.

No new lessons learned, just an observation that mortal wound spam is the truth for this list's shortcomings in high strength, strong save mod firepower.

Will try to finish the ETL Scarab Occult this week.

Archived