The Blood Raven's Thousand Sons

The Yncarne

Fortunately for me I was doing the spamming. Although I was surprised to take 1-3 mortal wounds every time those biggies reached my units.

I believe I killed old one eye, a hive tyrant, and 6 carnfixes and a mawlock(?). Couldn’t touch the tyrants with the big guns but happy with what I did kill.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah! Another victory against the Tyranids. My (nearly all) infantry army is doing better than I expected (at least in casual games).

Mission: Relic

Deployment: long board edge

I grabbed the objective Turn 1 and made it to turn 6 due to command points, and getting Glamour on the Rubrick every turn.

It was a hard fought game exchanging blows until the end.

Thanks Prot.

Yes, so far no need to buy and goats or paint cultists. I'm sure I'd be a ringer in a tournament without them, but rubrics and terminators seem to get me by.

Mass marines and big vehicles are my current biggest challenges. I did manage to kill 48 CSM in a 2K point game not listed here, but he had 96!

Thanks Prot.

Yes, so far no need to buy and goats or paint cultists. I'm sure I'd be a ringer in a tournament without them, but rubrics and terminators seem to get me by.

Mass marines and big vehicles are my current biggest challenges. I did manage to kill 48 CSM in a 2K point game not listed here, but he had 96!

Do you play against Astra very much? I found that so incredibly disheartening for the infantry. Same with Eldar.

Thanks Prot.

My last few games have been almost all infantry too. I've had a blast with them. They struggled a lot against Orks, though, due to huge numbers of bodies on his end. I think Scarab Occult Terminators are truly the best terminators in the game as of right now!

I have not yet played against Eldar or Guard in this edition; it's all been good/evil marines, tyranids, or Adeptus Mechanics. Our Guard player is playing Alpha Legion only so far this edition.

I"ve been playing infantry only largely to deny quick/easy kills and minimize my opponent's heavy weapons potential. The Dark Matter Crystal, warptime, and the Scarab Occult deep striking has been enough to overcome the 'Sons lower movement in my limited experience.

Edit: I do tend to run 5 warp flamers in a unit, so if I can get them close to a target, that target is usually gone.

Latest Game

2,000 points

Deployment: Frontline Assault

Mission: Contact Lost

Result: Win (7-0)

Summary: I had two objectives at the end of turn 1 and had two more mere inches away. I score two VPs. I also burn all but 1 command point. Turn 2 saw me leave one objective and get two more. I don't score any VPs. Turn 3 had me on all but 1 objective (deep in my deployment). I score 5 VPs, netting me 7. Game is conceded.

I lost my scarab occult squads in one turn of shooting, but it enabled everyone else to keep the pressure. My rubrick was wiping out one or two squads a turn via shooting. Lots of crazy effective dice rolling on both sides, but my getting first turn probably was the bit that had me rolling all game.

And a preview:

gallery_2133_14655_22624.jpg

Yesterday I actually ran 7 flamers in one unit yesterday just for fun. I forgot their rhino, so ended up taking the points in Scarab Occult. That unit went down to 3 in one turn of shooting, then were promptly forgotten as a Daemon Prince rampaged on the units that could fire upon them. The board was ~50% terrain so the rhino loss wasn't too bad. I wouldn't normally run flamers without some kind of transport or web way shenanigan. 

I'm sure in a competitive environment I'd get regularly tabled, but I haven't played that style in years.

Another victory against the Alpha Legion

Mission: Targets of Opportunity

Deployment: Table corners

Opponent: Alpha Legion

My opponent had roughly:

2 Helbrutes with las cannons (x2), rocket launcher

1 Contemptor with multi-melta and fist

2 Defilers

1 Forgefiend

2 10 man CSM squad

1 5 man CSM squad

1 30 man cultist unit

1 sorcercer

1 warp smith

1 lord with jump pack, lightning claws (x2)

My list was my core list, but instead of the 2 Scarab Occult squads, I went with 2 Helverin and 1 War Scythe Armigers. I also rejiggered my two smaller rubric squads to add a rhino, put two flamers in each squad, and lose a rubric. I think there were a few other minor changes.

After deployment, I had two objectives with two more very close. I got first turn.

Turn 1: I get first blood when the ru-brick wipes out a 10 man CSM squad

Turn 2: I get Defend Objective 3, Big Game Hunter (a defiler), and Psychological Warfare objectives

Turn 3: I get Defend Objective 4, Power of the Cabal, and Secure Objective 5 objectives

Turn 4: I get No Prisoners, Supremacy, (and Linebreaker after a concede) objectives

My opponent got Slay the Warlord and two other tactical objectives on Turn 4.

Final score: 12 to 4

Thoughts

This is the second objective-based game where the cards were with me and I was able to secure objectives with focused firepower. In fact, I could tell Tzeentch was looking over my shoulder when in the final turn I also had the "slay an opponent in the fight phase" objective, and Ahriman could not put the final wound on the Contemptor after taking it down to 1 wound in the psychic phase. Tzeentch sure is fickle that way. I had the "control all objectives" card the first turn. If I had it Turn 4 instead, I would have scored it too. It was pretty crazy.

The armigers are a big improvement over the Scarab Occult. Granted, I wasn't in hand-to-hand often, but being able to put out those auto cannons on the defilers and helbrutes made a big difference. I could get them down to 4-5 wounds, then finish them off later in the shooting phase with rubric squads after dealing a few mortal wound via smite. These are big upgrade over the butcher cannons on decimator option in my opinion. It costs more, but the sheer number of shots two Helverins can do makes them a big booster for me. I agree with Prot; these are a good option for Thousand Sons that don't mind a different chaos detachment.

The rhinos were a mixed bag. One definitely let me get line breaker. The other was very stubborn and survived turn 1 with one wound. That enabled me to disembark and heavily damage the cultist blob and secure objective 5 when I drew it.

It wasn’t until the game was over I realized I never used the dark matter crystal.

You really do want to be in the 12” - 24” band most of the time.

Archived