40k tactics videos

Madmonkeyman

I’ve been working on a bunch of 40k tactics videos. Breaking down the different phases and discussing some of the tactics involved. It would be great if I could get some feedback on what you guys think.

Pregame and deployment:

Assault phase tactics :

Assault phase quick tips: stopping a unit falling back :

Edited by Madmonkeyman

If anyone has any ideas for topics to cover then let me know.  So far we are thinking of doing list design, screening, breaking screens , shooting phase.   Its been a lot of fun shooting these and actually get me thinking a lot more tactically about the game.

I have enjoyed the videos so far. Very good information.

For some topics maybe you could do something about target priority/choosing targets. Making sure you commit enough firepower to bring something down and not assuming average rolls to get the job done. 

Yeh that is really important stuff. we are going to do that in the shooting phase video , little bit on math hammer - how many las cannons to take down rhino ( it’s a lot more than most people think ) Risk management and over killing targets etc . Target priority.

I'm probably rubbish for advice but ensuring synergy in a list  I think is really important. Characters are expensive and their bubbles are great but if they're being used on units that going to benefit from them maybe invest elsewhere. For example Lieutenants reroll 1s to wound is really useful, but is more useful with heavy weapons to guarantee wounds than bolter fire because even if you reroll it they may still need a 4/5 rather than a 2/3. Also I run Dark Angels, so I rarely sue masters unless  I'm going mobile because my gunline stands still a lot, so they reroll 1s anyway so can you invest the points on something else instead?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Enjoying the videos. On holiday with crap WiFi so I'll check out the battle report when I'm home.

There are lots of long battle reports out there. I think there is a gap in the market for more condensed battle reports with phase summaries. I think it was canhammer who did some really nice condensed ones in around 25 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ive been having a bit of fun doing a video on flyer movement blocking as i think that is very common in tournaments at the moment especially with imperial knights around.   The fun bit is coming up with ways of countering it.  Let me know if i've missed anything. 

https://youtu.be/OCDBanFR9i0

• 4 weeks later...

Just subscribed! I was thinking about the flyer blocking just the other day before I saw your thread. 
You lost me on the heroic intervention, I thought that only happens in your opponents assault phase?  I still have to watch your Heroic intervention video.  I also have to look up what you mean by auto explode. Do you mean they are destroyed or that they explode. And if so exactly where would they be when they explode. I'm asking because I am currently fielding Buran Bombas that do explode on a 4+ and inflict 3 mortal wound, I am keen to get the most out of that so I am fielding 3 or 4 of them.
I had thought about using Flyers to block first turn assault armies, deploying them in the front of my deployment zone, probably not the best idea if the other player is a strong shooting army but maybe against another Ork player, could be good.  

I'll have a look through you channel, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Warhead01

the flyers are destroyed if they can't move their minimum distance. They would get a chance to explode i guess ( you would role ).  Would have to look at the rules to be sure on that one ( will say in the main rule book under the flyers section). Heroic intervention happens in your opponents turn only.  I was trying to explain you can perform a heroic intervention with the knight into the flyer to move round them ( Heroic intervention isnt a charge so you can pile in and consolidate with the knight but you are not allowed to attack)

hope that helps

the flyers are destroyed if they can't move their minimum distance. They would get a chance to explode i guess ( you would role ).  Would have to look at the rules to be sure on that one ( will say in the main rule book under the flyers section). Heroic intervention happens in your opponents turn only.  I was trying to explain you can perform a heroic intervention with the knight into the flyer to move round them ( Heroic intervention isnt a charge so you can pile in and consolidate with the knight but you are not allowed to attack)

hope that helps

I did reread the rules and even under my Burna Bomba entry it requires the unit to be reduced to zero wounds so I do not think it would get a chance to roll to explode. 

I find it completely odd that HI can be done against a flyer by a non flying model I would think that was a rules oversight I hope they clarify it in the next faq, they may not even know it's a thing people are doing.  I did watch you pile in video today, most helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been going back to the tactics videos- The latest one is on charge phase tricks and tactics.  There are so many fun moves to set up the assault phase and move around the board.   https://youtu.be/7yXsZFlk6lY

STTAB - the Ravenwing will be returning very soon - hopefully against the Deathwatch is it all goes to play next week :-) 

Edited by Madmonkeyman

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone back to basics this week- I realised that I had never actually covered how to Pin units in combat in any real detail.  There are actually a lot of pitfalls so I thought it justified its own video.  https://youtu.be/VUn3q8vFCCw

The Battle reports will be back soon: The last 2 attempts ended on turn one or two which makes for dull videos- I think a bit more thought is needed.  Incidentally each time we don't record a video we get to turn 7!

• 3 weeks later...

So I’ve been mixing things up recently- got a battle report up finally - it’s a bit of a fun one. Imperial knights vs custodes! Themes are how do you win a game when you haven’t got much antitank.

https://youtu.be/Zy1IRtdtb9c

I’ve beeb exerimenting with a new sort of video: it’s all about competive army list writing. https://youtu.be/qBRh5XltjfE

If anyone gets a chance feedback is always welcome