I am thinking of starting a small Custodes army, but rather than doing gold-and-red I want to paint them in a cold bronze and black-blue colour scheme reminiscent of the LotR High Elves and the royal guards from Forbidden Kingdom.

To do that of course, I need cloth on all the minis - and I plain prefer the Wardens! Would people be confused by Warden bodies being used as Custodian Guard, potentially with sword-and-board? I wouldn't have any actual Warden units with spears if I did this.

Edited by Ahistorian

I don’t think anyone would have any problem with it so long as you don’t give them axes. They’re the same physical size as regular Custodes, they have the same base size, they can be equipped with the same weapons and they have the same visual appearance apart from the cloth and some other minor bits. I believe that would be enough to satisfy most tournament requirements so should be easily good enough for casual games.

You’d be very unlucky to be stuck with an opponent who objected and even then, I don’t think they’d have a leg to stand on given how open GW is to you customising their models.

Thanks guys!

In keeping with the "elven"/ancient Chinese look, I am considering swapping the chunky Custodian helmets for the plastic White Lions of Chrace ones - similar height, similar topknot, but a slimmer profile. The basic chariot heads with topknots look great on Stormcast, so I think it should work - any opinions?

NdR2F1P.jpg

Thanks guys!

In keeping with the "elven"/ancient Chinese look, I am considering swapping the chunky Custodian helmets for the plastic White Lions of Chrace ones - similar height, similar topknot, but a slimmer profile. The basic chariot heads with topknots look great on Stormcast, so I think it should work - any opinions?

NdR2F1P.jpg

The Stormcast are on 32mm bases, down from their usual 40mm. It's just to make the heroes stand out more and make the rank and file easier to fit in my KR foam. The models themselves are slightly taller than Primaris Marines, even with their standard, smaller helmets.

I think those helmets would look quite interesting on the custodes, a nice unique take. If you do, be sure to post some pics as I’m quite keen to see what they look like :)

Just as a caveat to what I said earlier, if you change the base sizes on the wardens then people may be more likely to object because it affects things like how many models can pile in during the fight phase :)

I think those helmets would look quite interesting on the custodes, a nice unique take. If you do, be sure to post some pics as I’m quite keen to see what they look like :)

Just as a caveat to what I said earlier, if you change the base sizes on the wardens then people may be more likely to object because it affects things like how many models can pile in during the fight phase :)

Isn't 8e basically basing-agnostic like AoS? That's a shame. And yes, photos are a certainty!

A related question then - if I paid the appropriate points for them and made it clear what's what, do you think folks would mind "space hoplites" with spear and shield counting as sword-and-board Custodes? I figure the drop in S is because it's tricky to use perfectly with a whacking great shield on the other arm.

My opinion, as always, falls on side of the rule of cool. Warden bodies are designed to be able to be used as Shield-Captains. Guardian bodies are designed to be able to be used as Shield-Captains. To my mind that means they're the same thing, they'll just look extra blinged out. As mentioned, the only real confusion that could happen would be fielding guardians and wardens both with spears. Avoid that and I think you're 100% fine, otherwise my Blood Angels tactical squad made of spare Sanguinary Guard bodies needs to be trashed as well.

The helmets, that was pretty much the common start for Custodes helmets way back in the day. They'll definitely change the profile, and I'd dry fit to make sure you like it in person, but I don't see a reason it couldn't work. If you go that route, maybe if you do use wardens in your list give them the regular Custodes or otherwise different helmets to further differentiate.

The only thing I'm not sure I like the sound of are spear and shield Custodes counting as sentinel blade and shield Custodes. If you're already doing a good bit of conversion work, adding in another layer of confusion to it doesn't sound good, just because many of your troops will already have the spears counting as spears. Now, if you can rig up something significantly different looking, like sentinel blades on a spear handle, then my opinion would likely change. But if it's just guardian spears as sentinel blades with no major visual differentiation, I'd say it'll just be too confusing.

At worst, I would have models with wholly different weapons and heads - but it seems the Wardens don't quite have a USP, so I may stick to Guardians and Allarus. I want to convert, but I don't want to upset my opponents!

Isn't 8e basically basing-agnostic like AoS? That's a shame. And yes, photos are a certainty!

A related question then - if I paid the appropriate points for them and made it clear what's what, do you think folks would mind "space hoplites" with spear and shield counting as sword-and-board Custodes? I figure the drop in S is because it's tricky to use perfectly with a whacking great shield on the other arm.

You’re on slightly shakier ground with that because it’s technically an illegal combination of wargear and you wouldn’t be allowed to enter any tournaments like that. However if you pay for sword and board Custodes and proxy your spear as a sword then a reasonable opponent in a casual game should let you do that. I know I personally wouldn’t have a problem with it but you can get some awkward opponents who may not allow it :)

EDIT- what Kinstryfe said about avoiding confusion is an important consideration, however in this case the models will have the shield along with the spear to remind your opponent they’re really sword and board so I think that would help.

Alternatively, if you’re dead set on spear and shield you could play some games of Horus Heresy as Custodes where you can equip the shield and spear together. However Horus Heresy uses a slightly amended version of the 7th edition ruleset so it’s nothing like 8th.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

My opinion, as always, falls on side of the rule of cool. Warden bodies are designed to be able to be used as Shield-Captains. Guardian bodies are designed to be able to be used as Shield-Captains. To my mind that means they're the same thing, they'll just look extra blinged out. As mentioned, the only real confusion that could happen would be fielding guardians and wardens both with spears. Avoid that and I think you're 100% fine, otherwise my Blood Angels tactical squad made of spare Sanguinary Guard bodies needs to be trashed as well.

The helmets, that was pretty much the common start for Custodes helmets way back in the day. They'll definitely change the profile, and I'd dry fit to make sure you like it in person, but I don't see a reason it couldn't work. If you go that route, maybe if you do use wardens in your list give them the regular Custodes or otherwise different helmets to further differentiate.

The only thing I'm not sure I like the sound of are spear and shield Custodes counting as sentinel blade and shield Custodes. If you're already doing a good bit of conversion work, adding in another layer of confusion to it doesn't sound good, just because many of your troops will already have the spears counting as spears. Now, if you can rig up something significantly different looking, like sentinel blades on a spear handle, then my opinion would likely change. But if it's just guardian spears as sentinel blades with no major visual differentiation, I'd say it'll just be too confusing.

You make a good point - and I hadn't considered "sentinel spears", so thank you!

Since robes and cloaks are not wargear, nobody should have an issue with using a Warden body as Custodian Guard.  Feel free to ignore their objections if they do.

As for the spear thing, I agree with others who have pointed out one of the things with WYSIWYG - wargear must be clearly distinctive as its own thing and cannot be confused for something else.  If you're doing "counts as" in a friendly game, it's up to your opponent.  But in a tournament, if you show a few people the model and say "what is this weapon?" and they all say "Guardian Spear" then you shouldn't run it as a different piece of wargear.

But I do like the Hoplite idea and would love to see what a Sentinel Spear would look like.  And I'd enjoy playing a game against a creative army like that, even more.

Pretty sure you could take a guardian spears, remove the spear and gun end, and put the sentinel blade in its place. Maybe remove the trigger because I'm not sure how they'd reach it in that position with only one free hand. But it would likely give the effect of being a sentinel blade with a spear handle, and look distinct versus the guardian spear.

Pretty sure you could take a guardian spears, remove the spear and gun end, and put the sentinel blade in its place. Maybe remove the trigger because I'm not sure how they'd reach it in that position with only one free hand. But it would likely give the effect of being a sentinel blade with a spear handle, and look distinct versus the guardian spear.

That was pretty much my plan, yeah :)

I’m working on some Warden models right now. What a fantastic kit, amd I could see why you guys would do this. The only confusion I can see is if you are using these Wardens as Guardians and then playing actual Wardens. I suppose an obvious difference would be colours, but I guess axes would denote Wardens easily enough.

I’m working on some Warden models right now. What a fantastic kit, amd I could see why you guys would do this. The only confusion I can see is if you are using these Wardens as Guardians and then playing actual Wardens. I suppose an obvious difference would be colours, but I guess axes would denote Wardens easily enough.

I wouldn't run Wardens without them! I may also give them different heads (all bare, for example).

• 2 months later...

I'm going to build 2 shield captains from my 3rd box of Wardens, one "line", and one from my take on th Shadowkeepers. For the chap who guards the vault, I was thinking of doing a Heresy era power fist with an Angelus boltgun on the back as a relic weapon. Would that be an acceptable S8 Castellan Axe substitute? I thought I'd put a Sentinel Blade in the other hand as a subtle reference to one of the Emperor's other greatest sons.

Similarly, I was hoping to use the Stormcast greatblade arms to have the line captain hold his Sentinel Blade two-handed. Does anyone know if that would fit with the Warden Shield Captain cloak/pauldron assembly?

Please and thank you!

Edited by Ahistorian

Some actual Wardens now, differentiated from the line Custodes by their hoods. In contrast to the latter, they will have a darker "Shadowkeeper" style paintjob that alludes to their job of guarding some of the galaxy's darkest terrors. Their leader is a Shield Captain, whose Strength 8 Castellan axe is here represented by a relic Sentinel blade/power fist combo.

SySZdQp.jpg

My fancy conversion plans did not work so well - I knackered my Stormcast greatsword arms, two Custodes arms and the next Shield Captain's chest trying to get a zweihander Sentinel blade, all to no avail. Instead I am trying to choose which of these heads would look best on him.

4oIksMn.jpg

E16xmOs.jpg

• 1 year later...

Wow, so almost 18 months later to the day, I finally got some paint on these guys! Potato quality pic thanks to my flat's winter light, but here's half of them. Hopefully better pics when they get they baptismal game at WHW on Wednesday.

For me as much as anyone else:

- Spray black

- Wetbrush metal Chainmail/mid-silver

- Paint cloth Dark Reaper

- Paint flesh Rakarth Flesh

- Typhus corrosion on "beams" on the base.

- Agarros Dunes on all flesh & golden areas.

- Athonian Camoshade on all cloth & rest of base.

- Ryza Rust drybrush on "beams" on the base.

- Rakarth highlights on faces

- Nuln Oil softwash on exposed metal

- Aethermatic Blue wash on power-blades

5 hours' work for 15 models. All hail Contrast, Washes and big (but neat) brushes!

zW2c8Hy.jpg

Edited by Ahistorian