Considering the Drukhari...

9x19 Parabellum

...for my next army.

As such, I'm going around getting some input, info, opinions, etc.

I really like the DEldar...with the exception of a couple (and, unfortunately, critical) models.

So...can I make a fairly worthwhile/efficient/decent force that does not include any of the following:

Wyches

Raiders/Ravagers

Sslyth

Grotesques

Hellions

Razorwing Flocks

Beastmaster

Also, I really don't want to ally in Harlequins or Eldar. 

I'm not looking to win competitions here, though I don't want to play with an arm tied behind my back either.

My desire to avoid the above models is based purely on the aesthetics. I just don't like those models.

I prefer the Haemonculus branch of models and the Kabbalites.  I don't care for the look of most of the Wych Coven stuff.

All that being said, is it possible to do an entire "Haemonculus" themed army? (All Wrack troops, Mandrakes, Cronos/Talos for example?)

Thanks for any advice and opinions! 

It'll be a struggle, to be sure.  Raiders are core transports and have capacity that the Venom simply can't rival.  Ravagers are a staple for bringing immense firepower at a reasonable cost (and they're fast, too).  Wyches are poised to get a lot scarier in 8th (and I'm skeptical of them, despite this) so discounting them immediately will severely limit your Detachment-building potential, as they're Troops for Wych Cults.  The others are all pretty optional, and you could probably sub out Ravagers for Razorwing Jetfighters/Scourges/etc., but denying an entire Troops option and a core Dedicated Transport could really hurt your flexibility.

In either case, if you choose to go mostly Haemonculus you'll probably be able to make a decent army, but it'll very much struggle for ranged support and/or mobility without some concessions.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of.

I can see myself swallowing the pill and getting a Raider (though not several), but I really, really don't like wyches.  They just look like a bunch of Saturday night West Hollywood BDSM go-getters (yes, I get it, that's what they are supposed to be, but I still don't like them...and they will be harder to paint)

Wyches are primarily cheap melee troops, right?  I can't fulfill their role with Incubi?  In your other thread "let's talk about wyches" you seemed to be arguing that they are not very good (and thus, I would summarize...not necessary)

Wyches are half the pts cost of incubi, so incubi really can't fill their role  of being cheap but solid assault troops. That being said, I don't think you need to use wyches, you can make a perfectly fine dark eldar list without using wych cult models at all if you really want. Mix of kabalites/coven units will likely work perfectly fine with the new codex. 

You can make a pure coven army, but you'd want to take at least an airwing of jetfighters/bombers to make up for your lost firepower. The fliers can only have the kabal or cult keyword so they can't be in a coven detachment but it's a fairly easy work around to just throw  them in their own airwing, plus our fliers are very good so taking 3 is solid. 

I agree with Vel'Cona on the raider issue, ravagers you can get around not taking by replacing them with jetfighters, but raiders are shaping up to be very solid in the new codex. Plus if you run pure coven, raiders can carry dark lances to help with your lack of anti tank firepower, while venoms just get splinter cannons which pure coven doesn't need as much. Though truth be told you'd have a stronger army if you ran some kabalites as well, the warriors especially now are just so cheap pts wise they should be in every dark eldar list. 

I'd maybe pick up a raider model, assemble and paint it and see if you like it once you actually have the model. I understand not liking the aesthetic, but man do I love my raiders.  

Looking at the raider again, the thing I mostly don't like is the sail.  I'm wondering if I can model it without the sail....and I really don't like the "Japanese Iconography meets Cenobite Hellraisers" aesthetic blending...it really doesn't work for me, but I think I can figure that part out.  Yeah I think I can make the raider work, actually. At least 1.  (In truth, there are a lot of kits I don't like at first untilI get one and paint it, at which point I actually like it....Land Raiders, for example, I hated until I got one. Now I have 2 :-)

Yeah I've found that's the case for some kits, I didn't particularly like the coven units at first but I bought 10 wracks and a heamonculus to make use of the new raiding detachment force for DE, and just after assembling the wracks I kinda like them now. You could try building the raider without the sail, not sure how that would turn out. 

Honestly you can get around decently without wyches, but you won't have cheesy access to reavers.

Most of what you dislike are not needed if you want to run a pure coven list, besides the grots and raiders. Raiders sails are entirely optional for the model from what I've built so far. Grots however are something that pack a punch and there's plenty of 3rd party models that I would sub for them.

You don't need grots in a standard list, but all coven you will. I've seen some great grot conversions made using ogryns. 

You can take reavers without wyches, just use an outrider detachment. You'll just have to get a succubus. 

While my Raiders all have sails, I can say that seeing them broken off makes the model look a little weird.  I'd suggest not to use the central pylon (which holds the sail) at all if you don't plan to put the sails on, and perhaps replace with splinter racks or something to fill the space.

I second the airwing detachment to replace Ravagers.

Playing without tranpsorts, using Haemonculus and wracks, you will be able to have a fairly resilient army core of T5 infantry. Haemonculus patrol detachments filled with Wracks and Talos (Taloi?) I would then suggest Mandrakes over Incubi just because they are less expensive and can deep strike. Bring scourges cause they are great. If you need more anti-hoard add some basic Kaballite Warrior squads and an Archon to add poison firepower.

...for my next army.

As such, I'm going around getting some input, info, opinions, etc.

I really like the DEldar...with the exception of a couple (and, unfortunately, critical) models.

So...can I make a fairly worthwhile/efficient/decent force that does not include any of the following:

Wyches - Not necessary.

Raiders/Ravagers - Why are you playing this army?

Sslyth - Not necessary.

Grotesques - Not necessary.

Hellions - Probably one of the few actually bad units. Really not necessary.

Razorwing Flocks - Not necessary.

Beastmaster - Not necessary.

Also, I really don't want to ally in Harlequins or Eldar. 

I'm not looking to win competitions here, though I don't want to play with an arm tied behind my back either.

My desire to avoid the above models is based purely on the aesthetics. I just don't like those models.

I prefer the Haemonculus branch of models and the Kabbalites.  I don't care for the look of most of the Wych Coven stuff.

All that being said, is it possible to do an entire "Haemonculus" themed army? (All Wrack troops, Mandrakes, Cronos/Talos for example?)

Thanks for any advice and opinions! 

You're in pretty good shape, except for the strange dislike of transports and our only real source of long-range firepower.  There are the flyers, but they may not be adequate unless you spam the crap out of them (like 4 razorwings 2 bombers).

Without the skimmers, only Haemonculii have a heavy support choice. Cronos not as appealing without any Grotesques to heal, but the Talos seems to be improved and will work well with a bunch of Wracks on foot.

Mandrakes and Scourges fill out elites and fast attack for either Haemonculi or Kabalites, so you're in good shape on that front.

Archived