Keeping motivated

Dizzyeye01

Continuing to toy with speed-painting methods. It's become something of a game for me now. Did a test Deathwatch Primaris:

gallery_57329_13636_35445.jpg

Also did a Genestealer Hybrid Gang for Necromunda. Basically started this on a Saturday afternoon, finished the minis by that night (but not the bases at that time):

gallery_57329_13636_41140.jpg

I was going for a hard shadows look, like inside a Hive City. Everything was drybrushed except for that arm bandanna on the central figure. Super efficient.

Those Cultists do look cool, I have my own to paint up, some of which are still on the sprue think. I'm really glad you've found a way to paint that takes the chore out of it

Hey here's a question, what model(s) do people have that havent had enough attention.  We could try to dedicate this thread to motivate people enough to continue with those difficult projects!

My command tanks...I’ve been wanting to finish them since I got them...three? Four? Years ago? Something like that.

And whenever I sit down to work on them, something else pops up, be it a household chore or another project, that distracts me...ETL certainly hasn’t helped, since they are A) half painted, each of them, and B) the wrong faction....

Part of it is the detail present on the models; I don’t want to ruin the detail with a heavy-handed paint application, so it goes unpainted, bass coated in bronze or blue, awaiting the brush...

End of ETL, I think. Wanna have them done by then, even if they aren’t vowed.

There were some truly grat posts on the first page, but (unless I missed it) no one mentioned coloured spray. If you are doing marines, find a spray that is the armour colour... bit harder for guard or other less solid looking armies, but my blood angels raced off when I invested in some mechanicus red spray.

A spray of that over the undercoat, then a red ink and a light drybrush of blood red (or whatever its called now) in either order, and thats 85% of my model finished. Not counting drying time, its less than half hr for an entire squad to get 85% finished, then I can pick out little details that are always more interesting on a model by model or small groups. If you are doing marines, or anything where its predonminantly a single colour, real life saver.

I went overboard last year when I got back into the hobby, having far more disposable income than spare time I have a huge pile of chaos plastics and it's kind of daunting. Just bought some yellow spray primer and that's getting me motivated on Nurgle daemons at least.

I bought a Tyranid Heirodule ages ago and it took me a while to get that painted because I was worried about ruining the detail on my first, big and expensive model.  When I thought about it though my options were... A) get on with it and risk not doing it justice, or B) to have an unpainted model that I never use and wasted money on.  So with that in mind I got on with it, after all, if I did a paint job badly enough that I regretted it, then I could just strip the paint off the model.

get one of the tanks out a couple of the the paints, brushes and stuff you need to do something to it and leave them somewhere accessible. so you can just dip in and out... doing a tiny bit on one of them every night might feel like it will take forever but it will get done faster than the nothing you spending doing to them over a series of years. Also, post a photo of them as they look on on here! I find a good motivator is if people enjoy seeing the progress then I want to show it to them. 

Archived