ETL hints/tips, advice, and color schemes

So ETL is coming in "about a month". This is my first time and probably others first time participating in ETL. To make the SW well represented and making Russ and the Allfather proud, I thought the veterans could give advice to the young 'uns. Things like various color schemes, tricks, how to properly participate , unspoken rules etc etc.

Fenrys Hjolda!

The most important thing i've learned from past ETLs is to pace yourself properly.

Everybody is in a rush to paint the most amount of points NOW, but life has a way of screwing the best laid plans.

Manageable, meaningful vows are the key to an enjoyable ETL

I should know, I was once the Fang's Champion

Being the Fang's Champion would be a considerable honor that I doubt I can achieve. I plan on making my vows rather small most groups of 5 or 10 Primaris modified to be Wolf Guard or Grey Hunters. Taking my time right now to plan my conversions out and put them together in manageable batches.

I did notice that a number of past ETL members had difficulty getting up to speed due to messy work areas or I'll prepared amounts of paint. So might be a good idea to pick up extra paint and a broom/vacuum to clean the place up.

It's a B&C inter forum painting competition. Usually over about 3 months, each sub forum pledges to paint X amount of points, with each member picking a sub forum to paint for and making a specific pledge (eg, 10 Grey Hunters for 200 points, Rhino for 50 and Dreadnought for 120, total vow value 370). Before and after pics must be posted, maximum 5 vows, 3000 points max per vow. The sub with the highest point total of completed vows at the end wins. Though in the more recent competitions, the sub has also been penalised for uncompleted vows iirc.

Run by Captain Semper, he usually posts the full rules closer to time. But that's the basics.

The most important thing i've learned from past ETLs is to pace yourself properly.

Everybody is in a rush to paint the most amount of points NOW, but life has a way of screwing the best laid plans.

Manageable, meaningful vows are the key to an enjoyable ETL

I should know, I was once the Fang's Champion

Yep, I'd suggest each how be between 2-5 models (infantry sized) or 1 large model per vow.

That way even if you don't complete your last vow everything else counts

Would also be handy to know if we are following the same format for codices, points etc... Basically the same ruleset as before.

Plus if rollout is beginning of May, timing is pretty tight.

I see the Wolves mobilising. Good... good...

Trying to, the wolves are pretty demoralized after Fenris, Cadia and now lacking a codex. Hopefully spin us into a frenzy for the coming days.

I think it's not unlikely we get a codex in the middle of ETL, too. 

Not sure, because in previous ETL's points limits on vows were capped. If you go over that cap it you lose those points.

Points might stay the same in index for vows made pre codex release but change to codex points  for vows made after codex release

Previously, if a codex has dropped mid event, only vows made after that date use the new points values. It's too much effort on Captain Semper's part to go in and readjust everything.

Some advice from the Realm of Chaos: plan, plan and then plan some more. Especially if you're going for larger vows. I helped Chaeron plan his 15k a couple of years back, and honestly without a plan he'd have been a mess, you don't realise just how many models it translates to.

Balance infantry and big stuff. Nobody wants to be caught painting 50 power armoured guys in one go, it just gets boring. Similarly, know your own habits and styles. If you're the kind of painter who gets bored on Grey Hunter number two but can knock out five characters and not get bored, vow characters. Unless of course you're using the ETL for the motivation to grind through the infantry you've neglected, in which case...

Utilise the Strategium. If you're sitting there looking at your models thinking "Oh God why did I do this??" chances are so is a fellow Wolf Lord, so post about it. Within about half an hour you'll have had five people tell you you absolutely can do it, one person in the same boat as you, and a completion that makes you think "Well if they can paint *that*, I can do these guys boltguns".

Finally have fun, otherwise what's the point?

Dragonlover

Not sure, because in previous ETL's points limits on vows were capped. If you go over that cap it you lose those points.

Points might stay the same in index for vows made pre codex release but change to codex points  for vows made after codex release

This works thus:

Vows cannot be changed once made, provided they are factually correct at the time of submission. So when a new Codex of a pre-exisitng army is released then all vows already made under the previous list will have to be completed under the terms of the previous list - even if there is a change in the points value or available equipments between the two versions. And of course vows already completed cannot be altered in any way. However all vows made AFTER the release of the Codex will HAVE TO you the new Codex. There will be no option to continue to use the Index list for example... 

Hope that clarifies it. 

Archived