If you could have a hybrid army... what would you make?

Urriak Urruk

So this is a bit of a 40,000 thought experiment. There are about 26 different armies listed on the 40k website. If you could make a hybrid of two different armies, what would you choose?

I suppose think back to how Khorne Daemonkin were kind of a hybrid of Daemons and Chaos Space Marines. That kind of thing.

You can pick two for fluffy reasons, or you can pick them for rules reasons, or simply "rule of cool" reasons.

I would pick Slaanesh Eldar. Xenos who have completely fallen under the thrall of the Chaos god, and have willingly given up their souls in exchange for some semblance of life. Lots of Eldar with sonic weapons, cavorting with daemons.

Other examples: Nurgle Tyranids, Genestealer Orks, Imperial Guard Tau (Gue'Vasa), Dark Mechanicum.

ie6yhgd2awby.jpg

Pre-Codex 2nd edition Imperial Guard which were basically a Marines/Guard hybrid. We had:

Land raiders

Rhino

Jump pack assault guardsmen

Bikes

Jet bikes

Landspeeders

Multi-meltas on heavy weapons guys

It was glorious.

Chaos Custodes and Half Eldar Space Marines!

Gue'vesa are probably the most interesting to me as a straight mix instead of blending something together to get something unique. I would definitely want them to be more than just IG with some Tau bits thrown in. I'd really like it if they used older generation Tau equipment so they would end up with auto guns that use Kroot rounds, Tau designed ground vehicles from before they switched to skimmers, and even things like the Tau's take on Sentinels.

I'd love to throw Tau and DE together in a blender and pull out a Xenos army that was the worst alien abduction horror movie experience you could imagine.

Chaos Tau, Eldar/Nid hybrids

I recently saw some fluff about the Krork in Trazyn's collection. His armour resembles that of the Eldar - sleek and elegant. That sounds amazing to me.

I'd love sophisticated, highly advanced Orks like this.

Alpha Legion Genestealer Cult!

Dark Eldar worshippers of Khorne!

Warsmith Kalkator's Warband (Iron Warriors and Traitor Imperial Fists)

Guns of Ruination! (Death Guard + Iron Warriors)

Angels of the Bleeding (Khornate Blood Angels w/o range weapons/vehicles)

Guns of Butchery (Khornate Tau, no drones but more speed and melee options)

Sept of Decay (Nurgle Tau, slower but have more AOE and poison weapons)

Habitual Liars (Tzeentch worshipping Craftworld Eldar, better Mages and cheaper Wraiths and Daemons)

A. Deathwatch as Rainbow Six in SPACE (for realz in a cool way).

An IF veteran w/ heavy bolter who ignores cover suppressing enemy's while a BA VV rips faces, a DA vet holds the line immune to morale or debuffs of any sort, meanwhile the SW vet wielding a plasma gun and a power axe at the same time, using BOTH in combat, etc....

They wouldn't need that many special units, just the sheer number of combos that could be pulled off would be quite interesting.

B. Karskin

Old school badass Cadian commandos. Like Scions that are actually cool and are decidedly military in feel. Camo cloaks on top of Carapace armor and the ability to Shoot while Falling Back. These are normal dudes who grow up practicing on Chaos Space Marines. Make them the way they deserve.

C. True renegade Guard/Blood Pact

Organized chaos forces that use tactics and disciplines instead of just RAGE and MAGIC to accomplish things.

D. Tau Auxilaries

Basically a test bed for new rules and playstyles: the sky's the limit when it comes to funky different weapons and rules.

E. Planetary Defence Forces

Weird, creative, playful type builds that are decidely Imperium yet mess with the established patterns and themes. I.e. Conscripts from a backwater world that all have CQC isntead of lasguns.

F. Chapter Serfs

Part SM Chapter Tactics, part IG statlines, part Genestealer Cult-style special rules and abilities.

Also LOVE Genestealer-ified -anything forces. A planet of Exodites that has been infected? Hmmmm....

I have but one simple idea.

IG + Goliath Trucks + SM Weapons + power armor - height = Squats

Throw in some bikes, maybe a giant oversized cannon or three and it'd be just about perfect.

IG + Goliath Trucks + SM Weapons + power armor - height = Squats

I love this new math! (However, my brain immediately started wanting other equations to be able to solve for the values...)

I'm looking forward to the GW version of a Corsair army list for a hybrid army: Ynnari.

<snip>

Nurgle Orks, because the above image has been kicking around in my head since forever.

Really dig the 1st ed Ork references, and I'm suddenly reminded Khorne Stormboyz were a thing, too.

I didn't really believe the Khorne Orks thing at first. Then I found THIS;

1406911331852.jpg

This is one of the most bonkers things I've seen for 40k, though it is Orks. Last parapgraph references how they like Khorne.

Chaos Custodes and Half Eldar Space Marines!

Gue'vesa are probably the most interesting to me as a straight mix instead of blending something together to get something unique. I would definitely want them to be more than just IG with some Tau bits thrown in. I'd really like it if they used older generation Tau equipment so they would end up with auto guns that use Kroot rounds, Tau designed ground vehicles from before they switched to skimmers, and even things like the Tau's take on Sentinels.

I'd love to throw Tau and DE together in a blender and pull out a Xenos army that was the worst alien abduction horror movie experience you could imagine.

Half Eldar Space Marines was once a thing, though definitely isn't canon anymore.

765px-1255136711848.jpg

<snip>

Nurgle Orks, because the above image has been kicking around in my head since forever.

Really dig the 1st ed Ork references, and I'm suddenly reminded Khorne Stormboyz were a thing, too.

I didn't really believe the Khorne Orks thing at first. Then I found THIS;

<snipped 1st ed AWESOMENESS>

This is one of the most bonkers things I've seen for 40k, though it is Orks. Last parapgraph references how they like Khorne.

1st, great job doing the due diligence, a healthy level of skepticism is good as we journey to find the truth.

I just wish I was as creative as to come up with things like Khorne Stormboyz. Seriously, they weren't just an off-hand concept, they had rules. Here's their unit profile:

gallery_57329_13636_95502.jpg

That's it. I'm going to start planning a "What If 1st ed was still canon" army. With Khorne Stormboyz as Bersekers. HQ will be THAT HALF-ELDAR LIBRARIAN!!!

I guess that flipping the whole 'kids these days' things is kinda funny, but otherwise the Stormboyz are just another thinly-disguised ripoff of a real-life organisation.

Look at them. They might as well be sporting totenkopf.

EDIT - In fact, one of them is. The Kapitan, no doubt. Sorry, Kaptin.

I guess that flipping the whole 'kids these days' things is kinda funny, but otherwise the Stormboyz are just another thinly-disguised ripoff of a real-life organisation.

Look at them. They might as well be sporting totenkopf.

EDIT - In fact, one of them is. The Kapitan, no doubt. Sorry, Kaptin.

Pretty much had that thought too, but didn't voice it as I'm not sure about the mods rules on talking about something 40k is often accused of.

I never understood how the SS could walk around thinking they were the good guys when they literally had skulls and crossbones on their hats.

Archived