If you could have a hybrid army... what would you make?

Urriak Urruk

I'd love sophisticated, highly advanced Orks like this.

Orktaku.jpg

Ahh, I see you're a man of culture as well.

Honestly, having Orkz get kultz that are Orkz emulating different enemies they've encountered would be awesome.

Orkz and Grotz deciding that they need to be more regimented and disciplined like Imperial Guard, but still being super chaotic would be awesome, and would give us an actual DAKKA ork option

Orkz encountering Eldar and deciding they need to be more martial? That would be hilarious.

Orkz seeing the space marines, and deciding to build their power armor to be based off of terminators, Orky stormshields and thunderhammers?

Orkz seeing Tau and deciding: Grots mark targets for our Sleek (for orks), Super-Dakka Macross Missile-ing Orc-as XLR's? I'd play that in a heart beat.

Honestly, having Orkz get kultz that are Orkz emulating different enemies they've encountered would be awesome.

Orkz and Grotz deciding that they need to be more regimented and disciplined like Imperial Guard, but still being super chaotic would be awesome, and would give us an actual DAKKA ork option

Orkz encountering Eldar and deciding they need to be more martial? That would be hilarious.

Orkz seeing the space marines, and deciding to build their power armor to be based off of terminators, Orky stormshields and thunderhammers?

Orkz seeing Tau and deciding: Grots mark targets for our Sleek (for orks), Super-Dakka Macross Missile-ing Orc-as XLR's? I'd play that in a heart beat.

It turns out old lore supports this idea. The Blood Axes in particular like appropriating human culture (whereas, say, Death Skullz just like appropriating human stuff as loot) and it was represented in 1st ed, IIRC, by slight points discounts to Heavy Weapons and a few Imperial Guard options.

But in particular, they built robots that caricatured Eldar ("panziez" in Ork language), Squats ("stunties"), Marines ("beakies"), etc. Examples:

gallery_57329_13636_2447.jpg

While thinking about this topic, it also occurred to me that 1st ed had some additional hybrid options for Tyranid armies. Genestealer Cult was merely 1 option. However, in the spirit of 1st ed, they also made rules for a Tyranid brain parasite that could infect races other than humans, allowing you to use your Ork, Squat and even Chaos Space Marine models for a Tyranid army (although only 1 squad, IIRC):

gallery_57329_13636_16546.jpg

I was looking at the Indexes and noticed Genstealer Cult's special rule that allows you to take 1 Detachment of Astra Militarum to represent their insidious influence, but I'm seriously thinking of using that to do some sort of Tyranid crossover within Rules As Written, paying homage to the above.

How would it affect the lore if the Black Legion had their own version of the Grey Knights?

Do you mean Grey Knights that defected to Black Legion, or super-elite-psyker Chaos Space Marines generally?

EDIT: Grey Knights can technically fall to chaos, but the only one I've heard doing so is the Silver Knight that roamed the Chaos realms, defeating every challenge before reaching Slaanesh her/him/itself. There he tried to strike him/her down, but instead had a moment of doubt and ended up swearing fealty.

Pre-Codex 2nd edition Imperial Guard which were basically a Marines/Guard hybrid. We had:

Land raiders

Rhino

Jump pack assault guardsmen

Bikes

Jet bikes

Landspeeders

Multi-meltas on heavy weapons guys

It was glorious.

Did IG characters have access to terminator armor? I remember converting a Commissar in Terminator armor but have no idea if I did it for fun or if it used to be legal.

Penal legions. A mix of guardsmen, planetary defense forces, abhumans, necromunda gangers that have been caught and sentenced to serve with Schaeffer or his buddies till death do them part. Mixing a bit of all the abilities, rules and weapons available to these guys and some contraband stuff. And a completely psychotic priest.

How would it affect the lore if the Black Legion had their own version of the Grey Knights?

Do you mean Grey Knights that defected to Black Legion, or super-elite-psyker Chaos Space Marines generally?

EDIT: Grey Knights can technically fall to chaos, but the only one I've heard doing so is the Silver Knight that roamed the Chaos realms, defeating every challenge before reaching Slaanesh her/him/itself. There he tried to strike him/her down, but instead had a moment of doubt and ended up swearing fealty.

I meant the Black Legion creates their own version of the Grey Knights

(Black Knight subfaction/warband of the Black Legion)

How would it affect the lore?

How powerful would they be compared to Grey Knights?

Black Legion creating their own version of psychic marines that drop in to kill daemons? :D

I think what you're searching for is a group of former TSons sorcerer (or sorcerer who know the 'secret' of the Rubric ritual) with a bunch of Rubrics Marines in the Black Legion. ^^

Or maybe they'd be nulls to shut down Grey Knights.

What I really want is a Chaos Questoris Knight codex. We have all of the Knight options, we need a codex. Give them Chaos Marks as well.

What I really want is a Chaos Questoris Knight codex. We have all of the Knight options, we need a codex. Give them Chaos Marks as well.

I'm not sure Chaos Knights need their own codex, but it would be nice if they got rules within the normal Knights one.

I wrote up a thing about Eldar and Necrons combining in an unholy alliance awhile back... hybridizing these two races would be more of an aesthetic challenge than anything else.

Since before the creation of the craftworld of Meros, the aspect warriors of the Sundered Suns had stood watch over Ulom-Nar, the Crushing Prison of Near-Eternity. Within this artificial black hole was kept a terrible evil, and the legends of the Eldar said that the Sundered Suns of Meros were given the task of defending it by the final decree of the ancient gods.  

Irrelian of Meros, a warrior of the Sundered Suns, witnessed the fall of his people. Though they were swiftly alerted to the coming of Slaanesh, Irrelian and the other Aeldari of Meros had nowhere to run, even as the psychic aftershocks began to ravage their minds and souls. Some fled into the welcoming darkness beyond the confines of these few dimensions, turning half-feral and cruel beyond reckoning.

These proved to be the luckiest children of doomed Meros.

Most of the Eldar of Meros stood against the chaos, unwilling to surrender their duty and flee. Farseer Eandama held that the aspect warriors and guardians would war against the daemonic fury of Slaanesh; if the gods' cause was just, they would prevail. Her poise and pride masked her total despair.

So death came to Meros as the psychic backlash struck.

Irrelian witnessed his people being devoured, their Soulstones consumed by cackling daemons, the Infinity Circuit ravaged and screaming. He knew only one thing potent enough to stop the rapacious terrors of chaos- a monster that the even gods feared. Now his gods were dead or gone, and the Sundered Sun fled the battle, winding his way down into the belly of the craftworld.

Irrelian committed treachery that day, slaying his fellow Sundered Suns guarding the interstellar tomb of Ulom-Nar, they who stood at their post even as their entire world was consumed by She Who Thirsts. Irrelian cut them down without hesitation, and released the thing lying within.

Even the daemon-slaves of Slaanesh, flush with power and glutted on Eldar souls, could not stand before Ulom-Nar. The thing held inside the singularity proved to be a C'Tan- and as it tore itself free the daemons let loose a cry of deepest fear. A Star God strode the burning halls of Meros and fought across its scarred hull, its mere presence anathema to both Eldar and daemon. It wrought destruction, tearing off elegant solar sails and casting them into the void, or rending apart the wraithbone decks in its unfeeling rampage.

Ulom-Nar butchered its way into the sacred heart of the craftworld and slew whatever it found, including Farseer Eandama and the twin Keepers of Secrets she warred against. It tore apart the maddened Infinity Circuit, silencing it forever. After this was done, it spoke, and the survivors among the Eldar had no choice but to listen. Ulom-Nar suffused the craftworld, and proclaimed itself lord and master of Meros before bending space and time around the burning ship.

Now, the Eldar of Meros are slaves of Ulom-Nar. Their existence is one of muted pain, stripped as they are of their natural psychic abilities... and upon death they join the soulless armies of Meros. Constructed of dead wraithbone and creeping liquid metal, the wailing constructs are an abomination to all who encounter them. Irrelian rules over what is left of his broken home, the last Sundered Sun. Those beneath him do not know that it was he who released Ulom-Nar.

I guess that flipping the whole 'kids these days' things is kinda funny, but otherwise the Stormboyz are just another thinly-disguised ripoff of a real-life organisation.

Look at them. They might as well be sporting totenkopf.

EDIT - In fact, one of them is. The Kapitan, no doubt. Sorry, Kaptin.

That was true of a lot of things GW back then, though - heck, they had a WHFB character named Heinrich Kemmler, an extremely dark joke/pun of Heinrich Himmler when you consider the WHFB character was a necromancer that raised the dead.

But back to Orks, a lot of late RT/2nd ed Orks were based on historical types:

• Snakebites = Native Americans
  • Blood Axe Kommandos = classic British commando in films
  • Evil Sunz = Confederate soldiers
  • Stormboyz = WW2 Germans (much like Blood Axe Boyz and a lot of the original 'generic' Space Orks)
  • Ork halftracks = WW2 German Kettenkrad

Goffs could be said to be the stereotypical pop culture Mongols or generic barbarians as well. Speaking of which, Ullanor, the site of the big Great Crusade battle against an Ork empire and where the Emperor named Horus Warmaster, is a pun on the Mongolian "Ulaan Nuur" ("Red Lake"), the pun being the battle was a 'blood bath'.

Personally, for minis/gameplay sake, I feel 40k has long needed a second "tank" army to parallel the Imperial Guard. Marines are a bit too elite, Chaos too dino-bot, and hover tanks don't count, lol.

Traitor Guard would be the obvious choice, although like most things Chaos they end up just being Imperial stuff with spikes. Something more like Squats, Dark/Mechanicum, or a brand new army with its own unique treaded vehicles would be sweet. Or just bringing Epic Orks to 40k with all the tank variants they had in that game would have been great (but unfortunately runs counter to the 3rd edition + retconning of Orks as too ramshackle to mass-produce tanks).

Personally, for minis/gameplay sake, I feel 40k has long needed a second "tank" army to parallel the Imperial Guard. Marines are a bit too elite, Chaos too dino-bot, and hover tanks don't count, lol.

Traitor Guard would be the obvious choice, although like most things Chaos they end up just being Imperial stuff with spikes. Something more like Squats, Dark/Mechanicum, or a brand new army with its own unique treaded vehicles would be sweet. Or just bringing Epic Orks to 40k with all the tank variants they had in that game would have been great (but unfortunately runs counter to the 3rd edition + retconning of Orks as too ramshackle to mass-produce tanks).

Squats would be awesome, they'd be the inverse sisters. Space Marine stats with Human gear instead of Human Stats with Space Marine gear. They also used to have super interesting rules and items, so they could be like the imperial (dwarven) Orks.

That said, I'd still like to see more Ork variants, possibly even bring the humans who wanted to be Orks in as a genestealer cult like army.

Dark Mechanicum, of course.

Khornate Goff Klan.

Chaos Stealer Cults.

Slaanesh Squats. Back in the days a fellow of mine used to have such an army and it was just glorious.

Just for fun, I can imagine also an Undead alliance mixing Thousand Sons, Necron and Wraith units.

Celtic_Cauldron

I think Orks are rumored for more mech monstrosities this year, and the likely explanation will be "Humies got new stuff, Ork/Mork said we could have new stuff too!"

@Azekai I like your spin on C'tan Eldar, good fluff, really interesting 'what if' idea.

Making me think about trying to explain some other very odd comobos.

Custode Warboss - a lone Custode trapped on a space hulk full of Orks survives by taking over, slaying the Warboss and Nobs with his bare hands and throwing himself into Ork kulture to bend them to his will and purge the worse creatures on the hulk.

I'm thinking a huge man in partial armour and warpaint, maybe one of the Chaos warpriests bashed with a Custode and Ork gear.

Space Trolls - fantasy trolls... In space. Love the ancient rock troll minis with their expressive faces.

Tau Ogryns - anime ogres...

I also still like some of the odd blends in the old lore;

Necron Pariahs being a mix of necrons and human blanks.

'Nid Hive Guard being the result of nids eating Marines.

@Azekai I like your spin on C'tan Eldar, good fluff, really interesting 'what if' idea.

Making me think about trying to explain some other very odd comobos.

Custode Warboss - a lone Custode trapped on a space hulk full of Orks survives by taking over, slaying the Warboss and Nobs with his bare hands and throwing himself into Ork kulture to bend them to his will and purge the worse creatures on the hulk.

I'm thinking a huge man in partial armour and warpaint, maybe one of the Chaos warpriests bashed with a Custode and Ork gear.

Space Trolls - fantasy trolls... In space. Love the ancient rock troll minis with their expressive faces.

Tau Ogryns - anime ogres...

I also still like some of the odd blends in the old lore;

Necron Pariahs being a mix of necrons and human blanks.

'Nid Hive Guard being the result of nids eating Marines.

Tau Ogryns is solid gold material, why does this not exist yet...

I'm not sure Chaos Knights need their own codex, but it would be nice if they got rules within the normal Knights one.

I feel like there needs to be a <Renegade Household> option in the new codex or else Renegade Knights will be stuck using the Index pretty much forever, seeing as they have nowhere else to go, short of a Dark Mechanicus release which seems far too unlikely at this point.

I feel like there needs to be a <Renegade Household> option in the new codex or else Renegade Knights will be stuck using the Index pretty much forever, seeing as they have nowhere else to go, short of a Dark Mechanicus release which seems far too unlikely at this point.

Not only that but does the FW Index give rules for fielding an entire Chaos Knight House or is it just rules for using them as Lords of War? I don't have the book on me (at work) so I can't remember but I'm pretty sure there's no army rules.

Archived