Terrax Pattern Termite Assault Drill for Deathwatch?

Masked Thespian

So, Forge World have just announced that they're taking pre-orders for the Terrax Pattern Termite Assault Drill.  In the 41st Millennium, it can be used by Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines (rules available in the Download tab).  It's a classic unit for those of us who remember Space Marine and Titan Legions, and it's finally getting a model.

There's a huge part of me that would like to get one (or more) of these for my Deathwatch.  I love the idea of having a bunch of my Deathwatch Kill Teams burrow up from underground and surprise the enemy.

Looking at the rules, it seems somewhat similar to a Drop Pod, though it can move and assault once it's on the battlefield, unlike the immobile Drop Pod.  It comes with a handful of close-ranged weapons.  It can't transport Primaris Marines, nor Terminators or Jump Packs (and, by definition, Bikers), making it only of use to Kill Teams with only Deathwatch Veterans/Watch Sergeants/Black Shields in them.

Being frank, I'm not planning on building the most tournament-winningest of armies, but I'm also not terribly interested in buying a bunch of lemons for my army (at £75 a pop, no less).  Does anyone think that Termites could be of any decent use for a Deathwatch army?

Being frank, I'm not planning on building the most tournament-winningest of armies, but I'm also not terribly interested in buying a bunch of lemons for my army (at £75 a pop, no less).  Does anyone think that Termites could be of any decent use for a Deathwatch army?

What does any of this have to do with your first name? :P

On a serious note, it's a neat idea but doesn't bring anything we can't do already with a Corvus, Drop Pod or good 'ol Deep Striking via JP/Teleport.  And it's a lot of cash for what is ultimately a redundant and limited concept.

On a serious note, it's a neat idea but doesn't bring anything we can't do already with a Corvus, Drop Pod or good 'ol Deep Striking via JP/Teleport.  And it's a lot of cash for what is ultimately a redundant and limited concept.

Well, that is a shame.  I think it's a lovely model and a nice reminder of an older time.  I've even seen suggestions of converting it into a boarding torpedo, which is something that I've considered doing in the past with another army.

I do like that it inflicts Mortal Wounds on units that it pops up nearby, and that you can stick 12 models in it (compared to the 10 in a Drop Pod), but I think that you're quite right that it basically copies almost everything that Blackstars and Drop Pods do.  I'm also a little disappointed that its stats in melee aren't a little bit better for something with a drill that big.

Ah well.

Well, I would say don't let the stats deter you if you like it!  Just because a unit is suboptimal is no reason to leave it out.  I'd say if you have a fun idea like that, go to it and post up that cool jet black Assault Drill for us to enjoy :)

• 2 months later...

Wow, this is a pretty decent deal now.

For 134 points, you get a T8 drop pod that can move, shoot, and assault. With two storm bolters, an Assault D3 melta gun, a WS4 S14 mortal wounding dread CCW, it's looking pretty good.

Even fits 12 to bring in that WM with a full squad without using 2 CPs.

Edit: can't seem to find the previous rules, but I remember embarked units couldn't disembark the turn the drill arrives, which they've added in this revision. If we remove the cost of the melee weapon and the D3 melta, the base cost is essentially the same as a Rhino/RB. With T8, DS, and 12 capacity, it will probably get nerfed later.

Yeah.  Definitely not a lemon.  Probably due for an eventual nerf.

I mean...

T8

Free d3 melta shots

2x Storm bolters(or pay 12 more points for volkite.)

On the charge at top profile they dish out 6 S14 -4 3d attacks hitting on 4s(and we have easy access to reroll all)

Then, if its not dead, they have a pretty good chance of doing 2-3 mortal

All for 134 pts with storm bolters!

Two of these bad boys could potentially drop a knight! 
Even without dudes inside, these arent bad at all!

Hell, take the drill empty and deep strike it as a distraction carnifex.  Either they dump some AT into it, or it will make them regret it.  Better if you're running Leviathan, VenDreads, or Rhinos/razorbacks.

134 points....   damn.

I do like that it inflicts Mortal Wounds on units that it pops up nearby, and that you can stick 12 models in it (compared to the 10 in a Drop Pod), but I think that you're quite right that it basically copies almost everything that Blackstars and Drop Pods do.  I'm also a little disappointed that its stats in melee aren't a little bit better for something with a drill that big.

Ah well.

They put out new rules for it.  It's broken now.  No more mortal on deep strike.  It now does mortal wounds if it drills something, and the thing doesnt die.

I'm actually disappointed in FW. They had a good run with being somewhat balanced, but this drill must've been selling poorly and they needed a cash grab.

I hate to be pessimistic, but there's no way anyone thought this wasn't undercosted during development. I hope this does not become a trend with FW to boost sales, then nerf it later on (which it really needs, despite it being great for us).

Well, that is a shame.  I think it's a lovely model and a nice reminder of an older time.

This is exactly why you should get it then. Don't worry about competitive play.. it will only cause distress and cause you to leave the game. Besides, if you're wanting to be competitive you pretty much need to buy every new army that comes out. Find what you like and build that. Play for fun. I think a lot of people forget that this is a game. ^_^

Well, that is a shame.  I think it's a lovely model and a nice reminder of an older time.

This is exactly why you should get it then. Don't worry about competitive play.. it will only cause distress and cause you to leave the game. Besides, if you're wanting to be competitive you pretty much need to buy every new army that comes out. Find what you like and build that. Play for fun. I think a lot of people forget that this is a game. :happy.:

Nah.  Just play Eldar.

I red the rules attached to the datasheet and can't find the mortal wound part or the disembarking part. Is there an updated sheet or faq?

Edit: nvm those on the sheet ARE the current rules.

Anyway seems pretty strong to me! I mean, 7 attacks on the charge, maybe with full rerolls are devastating. And if you look at the size, it can also block LOS if you hide something behind it. Can charge key units and take the overwatch, can lock in combat hordes  or big vehicles. And the enemy is forced to deal with it, expending AT weapons. 

Well, the drill is good for DW. But it’s completely broken for AM with the Stygies infiltration stratagem and guaranteed 1. Turn charge for it and everything embarked. So yeah, this thing will either be nerfed fast or a lot of places will introduce a “no FW online material” rule. So better don’t go and buy it for the rules, as FW tends to swing to extrems and nerf strong stuff into uselessness. It’s still a nice model though and I might get one at some point just because they are cool.

Here’s the thing, it is only broken because most imperial vehicles are over costed, not that it is undercosted itself. They need to lower the cost of imperial vehicles so that they line up with this, rather than the other way around. Not having fly makes it much to easy to prevent imperial vehicles from shooting.

I think it is solid, but not broken. However what I worry about is it’s size. It is so large it might be harder to fit it on a table while being over 9 away AND having space for the squad it is transporting.

Can definitely see a place for it,

Side note - flamers need to be like 5 points and heavy flamers 10. Hey are just not that good and really cost twice as much as they should since they can never be in shooting range on deep strike and easy to avoid on overwatch.

Well, to see how powerful the drill is (even if we ignore that it can transport stuff), note that for one knight gallant you can get about 3 drills. 3 drills have 18 S14 attacks, each of which is comparable to 1/2 of a gauntlet attack once the morta wound rule is taken into account. Meaning you get the value of 7 attacks at a knight gallant level of power for the same price as one meele knight who only gets 5. Now knights have a few more tricks with the new codex, but this was all without taking into account that 3 drills have better shooting, more wounds, can transport models and can also get forge world rules (for AM). They are slower than knights, but can deepstrike, so are also in combat pretty quickly. If termites would be well costed, that would indirectly mean that Knights (after the codex price drop) are still about 20-30% too expensive. Yet if a knight gallant was only around 300 points, I’m pretty sure a lot of people would (rightfully) complain.

I completely agree that flamers are overpriced though.

Well, to see how powerful the drill is (even if we ignore that it can transport stuff), note that for one knight gallant you can get about 3 drills. 3 drills have 18 S14 attacks, each of which is comparable to 1/2 of a gauntlet attack once the morta wound rule is taken into account. Meaning you get the value of 7 attacks at a knight gallant level of power for the same price as one meele knight who only gets 5. Now knights have a few more tricks with the new codex, but this was all without taking into account that 3 drills have better shooting, more wounds, can transport models and can also get forge world rules (for AM). They are slower than knights, but can deepstrike, so are also in combat pretty quickly. If termites would be well costed, that would indirectly mean that Knights (after the codex price drop) are still about 20-30% too expensive. Yet if a knight gallant was only around 300 points, I’m pretty sure a lot of people would (rightfully) complain.

I completely agree that flamers are overpriced though.

Sure, and if you compare Dark Reapers to Guardsmen then Dark Reapers will seem overcosted.  Meanwhile you compare the Drill to other units like infantry? Well now its not so crazy good while the efficiency of a knight would be much higher. 

Sure, and if you compare Dark Reapers to Guardsmen then Dark Reapers will seem overcosted. Meanwhile you compare the Drill to other units like infantry? Well now its not so crazy good while the efficiency of a knight would be much higher.

No, it still seems incredible strong. It’s meele attack is quite a bit stronger than for example 6 thunder hammer attacks on a marine chassis for example and (even with the captains bs 2 and Re-roll 1s) it clearly is better than a lone thunder hammer captain. To get the same firepower on veterans would cost at least 148 points (without accounting for ablative wounds to reach min squad size, just 4 marines + weapons). I’m hard pressed finding a close combat anti tank unit (no matter infantry or not) that is markedly better than the drill. If I’m missing something that’s obviously better, even from other factions, please tell me.

The drill is obviously not that great against hordes, but that’s also not it’s roles. So comparing it to guardsmen wouldn’t make that much sense.

Also what you have to keep in mind, it’s “only” strong for Marines because it doesn’t get chapter tactics. What makes it ridiculous is adding the AM forge world rules on top ( -1 to hit outside 12 and the ability to infiltrate for 1 CP so it and everything embarked gets a guaranteed 1st turn charge).

I’m not saying that I want it nerfed, I really love the model. But I fully expect it will be. And when Forgeworld nerfs something, it usually becomes useless.

Well yeah, for DW it usually is. That’s why I would be happy if the drill was simply worse in meele for the same price. That way it would be a nice transport to deepstrike stuff and still have some punch with it’s ranged weapons (which by the way are slightly stronger than an about 35 points cheaper imperial guard devil dog, which seems fair), but not also a meele monster that people who don’t properly screen their tanks will complain about until it’s price is vastly increased.

Archived