Call to all Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes: ETL is Upon Us

Dracos

I like your enthusiasm. :biggrin.:

"Sometimes you gotta run before you can walk."

Yea, I'm tempted to "go big or go home", but I also want an army that looks nice when I'm done - rather than looking rushed. Hopefully, I can get more than one squad finished. :biggrin.:

gallery_104866_14200_1691105.gif

New guys question here. When this launches, is this a SM only event? If not, can a participant do entries from more than one army?

As mentioned somewhere within these pages (or even in links to previous ETL's - here's one: ETL V), you can participate by supporting any ONE faction/codex for this event. In this forum's case, anything from Codex:SM is legitimate. Captain Semper will be giving us further details... soon... soon... :wink:

Posted by Jolemai in the Blood Angels forum:

Semper has put a teaser out and there are a few changes to the format:

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/ETL_6_Poster_01_Teaser.jpg

MAY 1st - AUGUST 1st

-------------------------------------------------

A few things about the new rules:

1. Points limit raised to 4,000 pts (to accommodate Warlord Titans)

2. Five Factions:

1. Adeptus Astartes
  2. Imperial Forces (IFOR)
  3. Realm of Chaos
  4. Xenos
  5. Age of Darkness (AoD)

3. There are three levels of collective performance:

• Primus Inter Pares: the Forum with the highest score WITHIN its Faction
  • Dominus Exercitus: the Forum with the highest score AMONG ALL Factions (similar but not 100% like the Primus Inter Pares of old)
  • ETL VI Magister: the Faction with the highest score among all Factions

4. The Astartes Faction will consist of SMs, BAs, DAs and SWs

5. The IFOR Faction will include the GKs and the Deathwatch

6. IFOR Forums will have access (but not unlimited) to units form other IFOR Forums

7. Chaos is three Forums - not interchangeable

8. Aeldari is a single Forum (just to clarify)

9. AoD is split in two teams the Loyalists and the Traitors. Both have access to all HH units except those explicitly labeled "Traitor" for the Loyalists and those labeled "Loyalist" for the Traitors 

Remember, these are just some highlights - there is a ton of details still but feel free to ask any questions. :smile.:

So now you ally with the rest of the Forums in your Faction in order for your Faction to come on top, but, at the same time, you also play against the Forums of your Faction in order for your Forum to become the best one within your Faction. And of course you play against all the other Forums in order to be the strongest individual Forum in the ETL:woot:

In short, we will be fighting on three fronts.

• We are after a victory for our new ETL Faction: Adeptus Astartes
  • We are after the strongest sub-faction showing within our new ETL Faction
  • We are after the strongest sub-faction showing across the board

So I think the only question is exactly how many complete chapters we're going to be collectively painting, right?

I can't commit to a chapter's worth, but I'd like to aim for a full company with a few options. I thought of building units from different chapters, but since we have to commit to one forum (i.e., one of the big eight - Black Templars to White Scars) there can be ONLY ONE! :wink:  

I was going to pledge my Catachans but points to dollars, with what I currently own, I've decided to go with Ultramarines.

A couple questions; (1) Must everything be pledged upfront, or can you add on pledges later?

(2) Do you need to own everything in your pledge, or is it ok to get it later?

I was going to pledge my Catachans but points to dollars, with what I currently own, I've decided to go with Ultramarines.

A couple questions; (1) Must everything be pledged upfront, or can you add on pledges later?

(2) Do you need to own everything in your pledge, or is it ok to get it later?

Hi Thrall_Love,

Regarding your first question, the answer is no, you don’t have to commit upfront. Do your first vow, complete it and re-evaluate the situation. If you feel that you can do more with the time left, by all means vow again. If you feel that time or other real life constraints do not allow for further participation, you can call it a day. If however you vow a second time (or any subsequent time for that matter) you are responsible for delivering as the penalty for failing is to have your previous completed vows nullified, damaging your faction’s completion rate (an important number when working out the ETL score).

For your second question, it is OK to get it later provided you present us a picture of the item before you start to work on it and that picture should be edited in your post of the initial vow so everything regarding that vow be in the same place...

Oh nice, big fan of the previewed rules. Competing as both Codex SMs, and also as part of a larger Astartes faction seems like it will help balance the outcome out a lot while adding new layers of competition. There's a very real chance the Astartes faction can compete with Chaos and AoD this time round!

As for the Primus Inter Pares title, last year we only finished behind the Space Wolves thanks to an inferior completion rate; we actually painted more than them in total. That "First Among Equals" title is there for the taking this year! (Let's hope they don't get their Codex too soon haha)

Oh nice, big fan of the previewed rules. Competing as both Codex SMs, and also as part of a larger Astartes faction seems like it will help balance the outcome out a lot while adding new layers of competition. There's a very real chance the Astartes faction can compete with Chaos and AoD this time round!

As for the Primus Inter Pares title, last year we only finished behind the Space Wolves thanks to an inferior completion rate; we actually painted more than them in total. That "First Among Equals" title is there for the taking this year! (Let's hope they don't get their Codex too soon haha)

Well, the Space Marines have historically been plagued by comparatively low completion rates... will that change this year?

Well, the Space Marines have historically been plagued by comparatively low completion rates... will that change this year?

I hope so; I wonder why it's prevalent in this particular forum? 

I've had to be quite meticulous with my plans this year; there's a lot going on for me personally in the next 3 months so I'm intending to start nice and early and knock out a couple of large vows in the first month or so, which should take the pressure off towards the end :)

Jolemai, Stark and I have that handled :wink:

@Halandaar - I think it's because the generic Codex army is just that: generic (no offense to the Ultramarines at all).  I mean, Raven Guard are still a "Codex" army but with a neat deployment rule, for example.  The major difference, from my point of view, is the cultures between the armies within this faction.

Meanwhile, the BA, DA, SW, etc. not only have very dedicated and specialized cultures, their Codex supports such culture in form and function.  So the ... dedication ... is greater to a degree.

From a certain point of view.

In my most humble opinion.

I'm probably dead wrong.

@Halandaar - I think it's because the generic Codex army is just that: generic (no offense to the Ultramarines at all).  I mean, Raven Guard are still a "Codex" army but with a neat deployment rule, for example.  The major difference, from my point of view, is the cultures between the armies within this faction.

Meanwhile, the BA, DA, SW, etc. not only have very dedicated and specialized cultures, their Codex supports such culture in form and function.  So the ... dedication ... is greater to a degree.

I'm probably dead wrong.

Eh I have to agree. I'm interested in some of the vanilla chapter but seeing how they're just so ... generic, I really don't feel any appeal in doing such a chapter. Now Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves or even Deathwatch and Grey Knights ... those would interest me a LOT more even tho I don't necessarily like their fluff more than one of the vanilla codex chapters (mainly not DA and GK ... sorry Semper :P ).

Well, guys, that’s the thing: SM get more points pledged than any of the othe chapters...

In ETL V the SMs forum pledged almost 70k pts. The BAs had pledged just 40k, the DAs 44k and the SWs 59k. So the enthusiasm and participation are there for sure. But completion rates? 69% for the SMs, 87% for the BAs and 79% for the SWs ( the DAs really messed up last year with an even lower rate of 63%).

What I’m saying is the ETL has become an 80%+ game. If last year the SMs had an 80% completion rate it would add almost 6,000 pts to their final score.

So the question for this year is: can you make an 80% completion rate! The Emperor is watching!

I'm probably dead wrong.

So essentially, because SW, BA, DA etc all exist in their own echo chambers of "we rule", everybody gets more pumped up and feels like they are moving in the same direction, whereas all the different types of "Codex" chapters, from Zealous (Templars) to Sneaky (Raven Guard) all have to play nicely together, so they don't?

Huh. I guess there might be something in that.

Seriously, SMs IS the most popular Astartes forum out there anyway you care to measure it: more topics, more replies and certainly higher participation in the ETL - points and number of participants. If you put those resources to use, with a high completion rate you are an ETL superpower in your own right. High completion rate should be the first item in the SMs agenda!

Jolemai, Stark and I have that handled :wink:

Thank goodness, no pressure :wink: :biggrin.:

Seriously, SMs IS the most popular Astartes forum out there anyway you care to measure it: more topics, more replies and certainly higher participation in the ETL - points and number of participants. If you put those resources to use, with a high completion rate you are an ETL superpower in your own right. High completion rate should be the first item in the SMs agenda!

I understand standard SM, under the faction Adeptus Astartes, still get to pick one of the forums BT, CF, IF, IH, RG, Sal, UM, or WS to pour their points into - even if they may not be painted exactly as such, right? Or would one have to actually vow under the DIY Index Astartes? 

For myself, I'll be building & painting standard SM codex stuff without chapter specific models - so, I wanted to confirm where I can commit models too. 

How you paint your minis is your own decision. What matters to the ETL is which Codex you choose and "price" them from. As long a the Codex is the same, you can paint them all pink with duck-egg-blue elephants on them! :D

How you paint your minis is your own decision. What matters to the ETL is which Codex you choose and "price" them from. As long a the Codex is the same, you can paint them all pink with duck-egg-blue elephants on them! :D

The Emperor's Heffalumps chapter?

Codex: Space Marines: On the Matter of Crusades ...

... to Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes the contribution of Space Marine forces is a matter of honour and can see a squad or a whole Chapter of troops deployed when they are called upon to take part in a Crusade. Once won, the Chapter will add the battle honour to their standards as a mark of achievement and loyalty.

Well Brother, what will your Chapter Vow to the ETL Crusade?

Archived