Wolfsbane HH49

Sanguinuis was never a hot head and quite stoic imo. Sure he wasn’t perfect but none of them are. As far as flaws (DA, RG, SW, etc.) go I don’t remember any Primarch not trying to hide them, it’s par for the course.

You don’t remember or you didnt read any?

Because you have discussed books with me twice now then later stated you actually haven’t read the book due to reasons

I have read several HH novels that feature Sanguinius - I already answered you regarding this one .

Has Vulkan arrived on Terra yet? And what are his thoughts on Russ' departure?

None of you guys have said anything about Vulkan at all.

If he has do doesn’t make an appearance in the novel.

@BO: I was unsure due to the starkly different view you have in Sanguinius, as has been noted by other posters

It seems like a different Dorn from the Garro series. In Swallow's books Dorn has just sequestered all his psykers because he knows they will be needed later. It seems like that Dorn would say 'good thing I have my entire Librarius here because I knew the Edict was a mistake all along.' I guess there aren't irreconcilable, but a pretty different attitude imo

I think it is worth repeating:

"Sanguinuis was never a hot head and quite stoic imo. Sure he wasn’t perfect but none of them are. As far as flaws (DA, RG, SW, etc.) go I don’t remember any Primarch not trying to hide them, it’s par for the course."

Plus he never did anything to be ashamed of he was the man. <3

Jarl steered us all back on track so I will also return to topic.

In this book, are #’s given for any of the 3 Legions on Terra?

Im going to re-read the book shortly and will record anything I remember of this being discussed.

My first read through is a fan of the setting and unless I really hate the book, usually try to read it a second time a few weeks later to soak up details I initially missed or find details like this.

I think it is worth repeating:

"Sanguinuis was never a hot head and quite stoic imo. Sure he wasn’t perfect but none of them are. As far as flaws (DA, RG, SW, etc.) go I don’t remember any Primarch not trying to hide them, it’s par for the course."

Plus he never did anything to be ashamed of he was the man. <3

Except for being an Emperor in IS which he did hide from everyone while on Terra ( info from Wolfsbane, so not offtop). Stop your "Sanguinius is great" posts please.

Considering FW was kind enough to print out the edict the Emperor charged Russ with carrying out, no. We know Russ was given charge to do pretty much anything he sought fit, but his mission by the hand of the Emperor himself was black and white, bring back Magnus to Terra to stand trial and account for his actions.

Horus may have tricked him, but not even he had the authority to counter order Russ against the Emperor.

The bombing, combat drop, full scale planetary invasion and the rest is on Russ, hence the 'horus tricked me' part, he did not HAVE to do it, those weren't his orders, he was never fired upon, never threatened, heck he never even made contact ( or tried very hard to do so).  So yeah, i was ordered is simply not true, he could have walked into Magnus tower and slap the cuffs on, based on Magnus state at the time in every book i have read he would have been first in line on the repentance train, never mind resist. Magnus knew how much he screwed up just like Leman does in latter books. 

This is wrong according every course-material from BL and FW. Horus had the power to speak with the Emperors voice (as if the Emperor himself) so yes, he did indeed have the authority to change Russ orders. 

Yes, if Horus hadn't change the orders I do believe that Russ would have captured Magnus alive at any cost to his Legion because that was what big E wanted. Since Russ was utterly loyal that he goes against the original order is a confirmation that Horus manipulated him.

Here is a whole thread discussing just this

Russ and Sanguinius are basically polar opposites as far as I’m concerned and Sanguinius never did anything he was later ashamed of having done.

At the core of what defines the Blood Angels is the red thirst, witch Sanguinius is deeply ashamed over and tries to hide from everyone. And of course the case of being Emperor of IS :wink:

I must say that I really looking forward to reading this book. Even the whole reason for it is to get Russ away from Terra, Guy Haley seems to have written a good story of it :smile.:

I must say that I really looking forward to reading this book. Even the whole reason for it is to get Russ away from Terra, Guy Haley seems to have written a good story of it :smile.:

I was able to buy a copy off a space wolves player after he read it.

The book is well put together and when Russ gets back to fenris then things are going to make you so giddy that you'll likely explode from excitement

Maybe...I think the lack of tension and almost camaraderie shoulda been addressed though

When Khan said will you [Russ] be going back to Terra with me...Russ essentially said I am still very angry at you, need to keep distance for now

The problem is we dont know how long a gap exists between each novel. 

if its a matter of days or weeks, then I would expect more tension there.

if its months to a year, then I can see anger cooling when the scale of whats happening truly starts sinking in.

Also, I laughed really hard when Russ called on the Emperor to put a stop to his plans. That was some snarky sibling crap right there.

To answer a couple of the questions...

No numbers are provided for the 3 Legions on Terra, only mention that the Ultramarines are still a large potent force.

I doubt we will see Vulkan again until the Siege, when we last saw him his father tasked him with a very important job that only he can accomplish. Other than guarding the gate where he lays in wait he is not leaving sight of the throne. He has already abandoned his Legion for this task.

I think Russ has a lot on his plate, Prospero, guilt and wondering what is going on in the dungeon as he seems very keen and asks everyone repeatedly what is going on until the very last second on Terra thus the Khan and his anger has long been forgotten.  

EDIT: Also, how Horus reacts to Russ' barbarity...you'd think Cthonians were hive spire nobles

Eh, in fairness the Emperor does say nearly exactly that to him. Horus is being a little hypocritical.

I think he is irritated because as barbaric as the Cthonians are, they at least knew their world was part of a bigger galaxy. They knew about space travel and had some advanced technology in a degraded form. Russ's kinsmen were completely unaware. Bottom line is no one wants to be compared to a Fenrisian.:tongue.:

From what Horus says about them - "They were human wolves, walking on two feet" - I also got the impression he detected a hint of the weird Fenrisian genetic tampering thing. Like how Magnus did in A Thousand Sons, if less clearly. You could read it as Horus talking about their battle-honed instincts but as the Emperor starts talking about Fenris's DAoT heritage shortly afterward, I'd put it down to primarch perception.

My impression from the different novels is that the wolves is regarded as especially barbaric, not because they don't know about  space travel or had some advanced technology, but because they still retain their "primitive" beliefs, symbols and dress style even after they have been "uplifted".

What do we mean with savage?

Both on Fenris and Cthonia there are brutal tribal/gang cultures, based (more or less) on honor and fealty. So the societies on both planets are more or less as savage as the other in my opinion.

What differs is that that Fenris also have the additional feature of a savage death world environment. From the constantly shifting geology, to sub arctic climate, to utterly lethal fauna (designed in AoD to be as dangerous as possible).

So if we look at both the society and the environment, I would indeed say that Fenris is a much more savage place than Cthonia.

Archived