Azrael Conversion WIP

MaxB

Using the Interrogator Chaplain model as a base - was tossing up between this and the new DA Primaris lieutenant. The lieutenant would scale better but the IC already had so much cool iconography. I think with a rock on the base the scale won't be too bad. Pretty happy with how Azrael's arm/combi plasma slotted in.

Let me know what you guys think and any ideas for other bits to do. Not sure what to do with the chest...

26454794367_a4bae3a198.jpg

More pics to come! 

Max

Using this model as the base is spot on. The size, the pose, the detail all works (time has been relatively kind on Azrael but it still took its toll)

Thinks that you might wanna look at.

- Chest: Maybe find a way to integrate the chapter symbol somehow (freehand wings on the chest?)

- Heraldy: The Primaris sprue has a heraldic shield featuring a sword. Maybe use that to cover the spot on the right side of the chest.

- Backpack: Not sure if this one's the best fit. The standard one with the banner still looks good.

But, those are only my thoughts. The head and the Combibolter are a great fit. Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Yes to get the robed angel on the chest would be ideal - to me it's a key detail on the original model I would like to replicate. But my greenstuff skills are quite basic! Maybe make a mould if that's not too hard? Or just smooth it down and freehand it on. Are there any robed angel bits around that could be worked on to it?

Just a little update. Still thinking through his sword and chest...thinking I might use Azraels sword and hand, which then frees up the angel on the hilt to use on his chest?? Also got a potential rock for the base.

26505452277_de6911a785.jpg

27505875428_fd6d0f2efa.jpg

I think I like the metal sword slightly better which surprised me.

If you had asked without images I would have said said do with the RW champion sword as it is grander.

Will you be giving him a banner or sticking with the burner on his back.

I think I like the metal sword slightly better which surprised me.

If you had asked without images I would have said said do with the RW champion sword as it is grander.

Will you be giving him a banner or sticking with the burner on his back.

I came to the same conclusion about the sword. The RW sword was a bit too much I think, whereas the orginal Azrael is unique, still a good size, but not too crazy (there is a lot going on with the sculpt already). It was actually a lot easier to pin the whole hand to the arm too (the RW sword was already wobbly!). Granted the newer hand sculpts are much more realistically sized, but at least his gloves much now.

As for the backpack banner I'm not sure... I don't have the newer sculpted banner only the old pole pieces. And I struggle to like banners generally - It's like a big sign post/name tag for your enemies to see haha. Page 11 of the codex has Azrael(? or another chapter master?) with just some wood and skulls on his backpack so I don't think it's too un-fluffy to leave it off. But maybe the burner is too chaplain-y?

Anyway here's where he is at...

41362095042_b65e8e7a4e_z.jpg

41404536651_b147c62038_z.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everyone - great encouragement!

Here's a quick photoshop to compare without the burner. Hmmm I'm actually liking it gone...

40692960524_04044b34b1_n.jpg41362095042_b65e8e7a4e_n.jpg

When I did my conversion I felt he needed the banner to make him more authentic. By which I mean anyone looking at him would know he was Azreal without needing to be told.

With the inclusion of Azraels sword gun and bald head I think you are already there, he pretty much in the Azrael pose. You don’t need the banner.

Ok probably the final update before I get painting...Removed the brazier, switched out the cloak shield thing and did a little press mould using the Ravenwing Champion Sword - this is the third attempt as it was quite hard to get it nice and thin. It could def still be thinner but I think once it gets some paint it should be ok. Was really keen to get the angel on his chest because for me it is one of those defining features of the model. So while not perfect I'll keep it on, besides it has been a step forward in my green stuff use.

27667998418_ef787a4851.jpg

The press mould is very impressive but unfortunately I have to agree with the good chaplain the press mould and shield together is making the center of the model too busy. I think it needs to be one or the other.

If you really want both maybe they need to be smaller and less elaborate.

Fair call. Any ideas that could replace the shield? The sculpt has a nice big square hole for something to pin his cape. I could try sculpting more of the cape with a simple small pin?

Fair call. Any ideas that could replace the shield? The sculpt has a nice big square hole for something to pin his cape. I could try sculpting more of the cape with a simple small pin?

Yes I think that would do it.

How big is the square hole? It might be easy enough to cover with one of the little insignia bits out of the space marine commander box.

Hmm I don't have that kit. I'm gonna have a rumage through the bits box and see what turns up. Between the DA upgrade sprue, RW upgrade and some other kits I think I should have something to fit. Hopefully a little crux terminatus? That would be fluffy as I think Azrael had one on his belt

The hole is about the size of a frag grenade maybe? You can see it in the first few pics - shouldn't be too hard to sculpt some extra robe

Ready to paint! Found an old terminator crux that fit pretty good - only needed a tiny bit of GS.

Thanks all for your feedback. It has led to a much superior Azrael!

40931811984_ee820c4909.jpg

Archived