Question on a starting eldar force

Bmseifer

Hi

A friend of mine wants to sell me his unbuilt eldar models and I'm wondering if I can make an army out of them that can hold its own. The models are

Skattach? Wraithknight
2 wraithlords

10 wraithguards/blades
Wave serpent
Starting box
5 reapers
Bunch of farseers/warlocks

3 hemlock/crimson hunters

1 cobra fw tank

With the lot I'm getting I think I'm going to add some fire dragons, rangers and another wave serpent to transport either wraithguards or fire dragons. Rangers to fill out a battalion, I think I'm going to shy away from guardians(I hear they can be good but I really don't like the models).

With those addition I think I might be able to get a good enough force going. Thoughts?

Most of those units are at the upper end of the competitive spectrum so I don't think you will have trouble building a decent army out of them.

With all those Wraithguard, Reapers and aircraft, I don't think you will need extra anti-tank firepower so I would hold off on the Fire Dragons for the time being.

I agree that Guardians are not great. Their main use is in a 20-strong squad deploying via the webway as a sort of Guardian bomb. Moderately effective against certain opponents but not exactly fluffy IMHO. Having said that, I would consider getting some Troop units as Eldar rely quite heavily on Stratagems for effectiveness so running at least one Battalion for the +3CPs is recommended. If you want to minimise effort in this area then 3 squads of 5 Rangers will be adequate. They won't kill much but they are cheap at only 12 points per model, they are are Troops so get to claim objectives better than none-Troop units. They also work well with the Alaitoc Craftworld Trait meaning that your opponent will either have to dedicate significant firepower to shifting them if they are in cover or will need to assault them which will bring him in range of your nasty units like Wraithguard. They also have the ability to deploy outside your deployment zone which means they can form a skirmish screen to protect your more valuable units from enemy units that can enter play from Reserves.

Archived