Haemonculus Coven Force?

Noctus Cornix

I dunno. I think I need to play some more games.

Don't we all :)  But I agree with your points and I think to some extent having a big scary monster (the old-school DISTRACTION CARNIFEX) could be just what's needed to protect the real heavy hitters, assuming your opponents will play ball, as it were.

So I am just going to point out, coven units for the most part weren't touched that much.  Talos dropped 13 points grotesques went up 1 point and wracks went down 1 point and their osse went down 6 points.  Cronos dropped a good amount but, its not like you were going to spam those anyways. No one was really that interested in coven before the codex, and its not like the units themselves were buffed much if at all.  The only reason people are thinking about them now is the fact they won't die to a stiff breeze thanks to prophets.

In the last edition, Covens had their own book and were considered the most powerful/competitive Dark Eldar army, so I don't think it's accurate to say that nobody cared about Covens until now.

I think the addition of obsessions, strategems, warlord traits, and artefacts counts as a significant buff beyond a point reduction.

in my day we walked to school uphill both ways in the freezing snow!

Yes.... I play DE and have for a while.  This has 0 to do with measuring your ego lol.  It is being practical, I am not interested in getting into a pissing contest on this though, mathematically you are wrong and that is all there is to say.  Twelve are fantastic in small detachments, not a full coven list.  Creed are actually amazing (been looking more at list combinations) but specifically in Eldar soup.

I toyed around with Creed battalion and air wing the earlier today. 

pretty simple list, 3 wrack x 5 and hemy in tantalus 3 x 5 wracks in venoms and 3 void ravens.  hemy on foot with 2 stock talons. They all had  some gear on them, just trying to keep it simple.

Minus being light on CP and not having the " must have black heart element" it wasn't too bad. Went up against typical MEQ list with different chapters, and a IG list. 

3 void ravens with missiles and dark scythe. razorwings are cheaper and thus look as more effective, but the 3 ravens earn there points back and more, didn't miss having the void lances at all. 

tantalus, still on the fence about it ( rule of cool is why i bought one in first place), yes we know sniper aspect is brutal, but I'm working on ways to make it effective and not just relaying on that, I don't see that lasting for much longer, and if it does even better.

Looking at way to make this in to competitive list. Its somewhat of challenge. Not overly confident in MSU wracks in venoms going toe to toe with some of cheesy build that flood the ITC seen. The only eldar i was half attempt to take was shadow specters and the phoenix lord with them, more personal thing the converting aspect will tie the force together. Plus working to reduce the LD even more. 

But as of now june is when a local event is taking  place, and with 2 people already doing the black heart CP farm builds, I am looking as something different.  Win or lose, I working on way to build Creed list, that all about reaping the benfits of LD, and void ravens horde control. Now just need to figure MSU in venoms bigger wrack builds raiders. 

Razorwings are slightly more point efficient, but it’s not a huge difference. D scythes are definitely statistically better.

How did you not have a black heart element if you were running flyers? They can’t be Coven, so may as well make them Black a heart for 5++/6+++.

The tantalus is a little overpriced, chapter approved hike was really unnecessary and was just part of the whole “we don’t have time or desire to balance FW so just make it all cost ridiculous amounts”.

It basically needs Red Grief or Dark Creed to be worth the cost.

I used the skull obsession that gave no cover save, after the first bomb dropped I assumed the guard player would run and hide in cover, plus he likes to pile in his heavy weapons plt in cover, so negating that was huge. I assuming next go around he Maxing our hydras.

At first I wasn’t sure the 50pt was big deal now with our cost reduction that extra 50 hurts, even more so cause you can see what you losing,

I with you on whole FW thing, the first round of index was just awful. For cost of models they should put more effort in to them. Well now that paint line failed to sell, perhaps they can get back to working on models and putting out playable rules.

There's a way to address the slowness of units like the talos somewhat: use the fire&fade stratagem. You shoot with your talos after advancing, then move forward another 7". That should put your talos in position for a turn 2 charge. 

I got their metallic airbrush paints, they are pretty bad through an airbrush but they worked better than the GW metallics via regular brush.

Not to jump too far off topic, yeah there straight :cuss. I personally use scale 75 metals work great in airbrush or regular brush work.

Fire and fade is huge boost for us overall.

Still haven’t found a solution to stopping turn 1 DS assault, my own BA force would love to see 3 flyers parked as screen.

Flying Talos with stinger pod is nasty little surprised.

In any coven list 1 is distraction carnfelix, 2 requires attention, and 3 is :cussing nightmare 

For Dark creed I'm getting great use out of the stringer pod and macro-sclap and uint of 3, for 2cp the whole unit can snipe a character with 3 2d6 shots. Plus there little bit cheaper with pod over the cannon.  Not a math hammer experts, as i rather test it out on the table, and not on excel spread sheet, but so far effective in this load out, enough shots to thin the horde before going in and doing work up close. 

Even the duel haywire blaster out performed the cannon version, and cheaper as well. 

The CC options are debated able, chain-fail looks good for hordes and GEQ, but from the game(s) I played the pods thin out GEQ enough for me, where I didn't  see the need for a fail.

Any one having success running a chain-fail? 

The gauntlet  I'm still on the fence about, paired with Haywire blaster its formable AT option but the highest price option,  I going to try out it as rhino/razorback opener and than using the pod/sclap to crush passers. Anything but LR and necron brick tower is going to have a bad day. 

So i thinking  2 in unit with HB and gauntlet, and 3 in other unit with pods/sclap is going to be next trial unit. 

While creed is "weakest" of the coven for bonus I'm sticking with them for now, obviously weapons get better with -1AP and talos as whole get better 4++.  

Archived