Iron Priests worth it ?

Scaerne

Hail Wolf Lords !

I was thinking the other day (general bad idea), to field a vanguard detachment of axe and shield Dreads lead by Bjorn.
Even adding 2 Armiger Warglaives  into the list (probably 1500 Pts).
Is it worth fielding an Iron Priest to support and repair ?
Can this Iron Priest also repair the Warglaives ?

Or better run with a Runepriest for the Stormcaller buff ?

cheers !

I think because you've got the shield dreads, you don't need to benifit from cover. So on paper the iron priest is better. But if you're already getting re rolls 1's to hit from bjorn, you may as well get the cheap WGPL for the wounds. 

Tough call. Personally I would be tempted to run 2 Axe/shield Dreads and Murderfang to help chop through more numerous opponents. He is character like Bjorn so can also benefit from being screened by a shield Dread.

I would say the Iron Priest is probably better than the Run Priest in this scenario as most of the weapons that are likely to threaten the Dreads are going to have at least AP-1 or better so the benefit from being in cover will be minimal.

The Iron Priest can only repair Space Wolf vehicles so will not be able to fix the Armigers.

Whilst a fun list, 4 Dreads + 2 Armigers will be vulnerable to being tarpitted. Dreads do not have a large number of attacks. Armigers cannot Stomp like larger Knights and they cannot withdraw from combat and shoot like larger knights either. An infantry-heavy force will be a tough nut for this army to crack.

Only have Bjorn and 1 shield dread, was planning on getting another venerable shield dread...

If I field it with the iron priest, I still have enough points for either a TWC unit with swords and shield or a drop pod with Grey Hunters.

Or do I lack more anti infantry or anti tank?

Or should I squeeze a LandRaider Crusader/Stormwulf-fang in?

Once they fixed the 2+ tempest hammer it became a harder question for me. In the end i still use enough RBs and dreads to make it worth it but the movement restriction on battlesmith hurts so you have to be careful.

Put the IP on a bike. The upgrade is a steal right now

Remember he has 2+ armor so the T5 from a bike makes him a fairly hard opponent for mobs of weak infantry to deal with (i.e., you can intercept the tarpit before it reaches your dreads)

IP on a bike is definitely full of win. However, you still can only move at most 6" if you also want to repair that turn, so much of the time the bonus movement will be wasted. Still, it is good to have the option of moving your IP 20" in one turn to either keep him out of harm's way, or to position him for repairing the following turn (if that target is still around...sigh).

Archived