Tale of Gamers - knight edition

Focslain

So I got two games in at the 750 pts level, but only got pictures for one.

First up, daemons.

Knights
SHA
Knight Castellan - Vorn Des Lowen - Siegecannon x2, sheildbreaker missile battery, 'Cawl's Wrath', volcano lance, twin meltagun x2, Warlord Trait - Senachal
SHA
Armigar Warglaive - Unit Alpha 01 - Thermal spear, Reaper Chain Cleaver, heavy stubber

vs

Slaanesh Daemons
Vanguard
Herold of Slaanesh - Ravaging Claws, Celerity of Slaanesh
Fiends of Slaanesh x2
Fiends of Slaanesh x2
Fiends of Slaanesh x1
Outrider
Daemon Prince(ss) of Chaos - Soulseeker, wings
Hellflayer
Hellflayer
Seekers x5

Mission: Kingslayer
Deployment: Pointed Center
Twist: Warpstorm
Ruse: None

I set up the Castellan in a corner, the warglaive about mid-field. He setup everything on the point edge facing my castellan. I got first turn and moved the warglaive to flank. In shooting the warglaive wounded a seeker, the castellan killed a hellflayer, one of the two man fiend units and wounded one of the fiends from the other pair.

KvD7501

KvD7502

In his turn all but the seekers charged forward to the castellan, the seekers moving against the warglaive.

Do to some good run rolls most of the force was only nine inches away. He then ht me with a to-hit de-buff power in the psychic phase. I killed the single fiend as it tried to charge, then came the pair and I wiffed (no hits) and they made the charge. The chariot was next while the two HQs didn't make it. The seekers assaulted the warglaive, losing one to overwatch.

Afterwards it was three turns of CC where the castellan was pretty much stun-locked (hitting on 5s and then 6s) and I could not kill the fiends to escape.

KvD7503

So as the warglaive killed the last seeker the next turn the castellan went down then up taking the chariot and the fiends with it and wounding the princess and herald.

Post game:
This broke down to two things, first I didn't have the distance, we were fighting on a 4x4 table. On a 6x4 I'm sure I could have had a good 25+ inches for him to cover. Second, my dice rolls stunk. It sucks, but it happens, a few more hits, another wound and it would have been a different ballgame. Since I'm taking a Helverin next tier it's only mission is to take out Fiends. Thier ability to keep me in CC is devastating.

And the second game was short.

Knights
SHA
Knight Castellan - Vorn Des Lowen - Siegecannon x2, sheildbreaker missile battery, 'Cawl's Wrath', volcano lance, twin meltagun x2, Warlord Trait - Ion Bulwark
SHA
Armigar Warglaive - Unit Alpha 01 - Thermal spear, Reaper Chain Cleaver, heavy stubber

vs

Tau
Battalion
Cadre Fireblade
Etheral on hover board w/ puretide chip, Rite of Devastation
3x 6 fire warriors
5 pathfinders
7 Tactical drones - 5 marker, 2 shield
Y'varha battlesuit - ABT

Mission: The Prize
Deployment: Pointed Center
Twist: Chess Deployment
Ruse (Knights): Tactical Reserve

He set up his force on this stepped hill (shown in pict below), the Y'varha with the drones behind it. I set the Castellan forward near the objective, the Warglaive just off to the flank. I lucked out and got first turn. The castellan moved laterally to get the Y'varha in sight, the warglaive taking the objective.

steppe

The siege cannons killed the five marker drones with a direct barrage. Next the plasma destructor fired off and the shield drones took the blasts but perished. The chaff cleared the volcano lance fired, three hits, three wounds, the Y'varha's shields failed and 17 wounds cored the suit.

He forfeited at that point.

Post-game: His battlesuit is my main worry and his best weapon against me. Unlike the prior tiers, the castellan can in fact out shoot him. Granted the markerlights are my main target, but I wasn't giving that suit a chance if I could help it and if it continues appearing in his list it will stay a high piority target.

I'm scheduled to fight the Aeldari player either tonight or later in the week. The IF player just won't try at this point, but here's his list for the 750. Seems his actually going for balance.

Imperial Fist
Vanguard
Captain in Gravis armour
Intercessors x6 - bolt rifles, sgt w/ PW
Imperial Space Marine
Reivers x5 - pistol, CCW
Vernerable Dreadnaught - Twin-lascannon, Twin Autocannon
Hellblasters x5 - helblasters

Alright, last game of the tier and the alpha strike is real.

Knights
SHA
Knight Castellan - Vorn Des Lowen - Siegecannon x2, sheildbreaker missile battery, 'Cawl's Wrath', volcano lance, twin meltagun x2, Warlord Trait - Ion Bulwark
SHA

vs

Aeldari
Outrider
Farseer on bike - Singing Spear, Executioner, Mind War, Fate's Messenger, Phoenix gem
Warlock Skyrunner - Singing Spear Embolden
4 Skyrunners - Shuriken Cannons
Vyper - Bright lance, Shuriken
Hemlock Fighter - Two heavy D-Scythes

Mission: Invasion
Deployment: Pointed Center (again?!)
Twist: Grudge Match
Ruse (Aeldari): Inspiring Speech

So we both set up our objectives on opposite sides, him hiding as much as he could, even placing his hemlock in reserve. My castellan holding my objective and the warglaive moved far forward to ready his assault on the the other.

I got first turn and was only able to see a small group, his warlock and a Vyper. The warlock some how survives both siege cannons and the plasma firing at him, the Vyper only getting glanced by the volcano lance and still living.

The warglaive had moved to intercept this unit which also included his farseer. It finished the vyper and assaulted in, in a gamble I focused on the farseer and only one hit got through.

KvE7501

At this point what I hope to avoid happened. Most of his force moved to from hiding, his psycher moving in and the Hemlock dropped on to the table and the storm began. First he tired to get The Horror off from the Hemlock and failed, next his warlock Embolden the farseer and the the farseer proceeded to hit the castellan with a uber-boosted mind war. Between the hemlock's natural -2, the warlock boosting the faseer by +2 I was at a -4 for the mind war.  To which I roll low and then was hit by Executioner, then he CP'ed for Smite. Then the shooting came and I'm guessing the pilot was so dazed that I never made a single save. After all was done he had scored 21 wounds between the farseer's psychic alpha strike, the hemlock and two vypers. I even used the 5+ vs MW to try and stall the psychic barrage but only stopped two wounds with that.

The castellan was lost but would go down fighting. Unfortunately all of his models were on floor two or actually flying, so assault was out of the question. I Machine Resugence'd and split the fire. I killed the warlock with the meltas, wounded both vypers with the siegecannons and gravely wound the hemlock with the plasma and volcano lance. The warglaive finishes off one vyper before assaulting the bike squad holding his objective. I manages to kill two of the three.

In his turn the remaining force closes in to finish the castellan. The hemlock get The Horror off and the mind war does four more wounds, the farseer finishing off the pilot with a smite. The mech does not blow up. He didn't move his bike away and the warglaive finishes the squad moving to take the other objective to keep the game going.

The warglaive holds position and destroys the last vyper.

KvE7502

The hemlock flies over, hoping to wipe out the warglaive. It only manages four wounds. The warglaive then returns fire, two well placed melta hits at close range. The hemlock goes down. At that point we call it a draw since it was the bottom of turn four and my warglaive nor his farseer was going to be able to cover the table.

Post-game

I saw the the Embolden trick when the Aeldari player fought the Tau on sunday. It was at that point I realized what he was doing and it wasn't just the d-scythes I was worried about. It doesn't change my target priority, but that combo on any unit will be harsh and he has the mobility to do it. On a side note he lost against the Tau player by a minor amount and it was do to not knowing about how OP the Y'varha was. If it shows up in his future list I'm sure it's not going to live long.

Post-Tier

So my record for this tier is 3W/1L/1D. I had a feeling that doing knights was going to be a challenge until we get into a full force. At that point I can cover all my bases pretty well. Honestly the draw and lose was due to luck.  In the next tier I'm adding a Helverin so I will have a good set of guns and I'm running an actual lance so more CP and a free character. Plus with the Helverin the Skyreaper protocol will be a boon since half my opponents have units with Fly.

Hey Focslain!

Just stumbled across your thread and devoured it over the course of the day! It is really very good, insightful and entertaining! Please continue!

I have a question, too, if I may - when deciding for a Dominus chassis, what made you go for the Castellan and against the Valiant? I’ve got the funds in my bank account but my mind isn’t made up yet. I could tell you that I’m looking to add one to my Blood Angels but I’m actually more interested in what made you pick the Castellan for your needs I guess :)

Hey Focslain!

Just stumbled across your thread and devoured it over the course of the day! It is really very good, insightful and entertaining! Please continue!

I have a question, too, if I may - when deciding for a Dominus chassis, what made you go for the Castellan and against the Valiant? I’ve got the funds in my bank account but my mind isn’t made up yet. I could tell you that I’m looking to add one to my Blood Angels but I’m actually more interested in what made you pick the Castellan for your needs I guess :smile.:

I'm going to continue this log at least until our final mega-battle in November.

As for your question. It was more a personal choice, granted the weapons are good, but even by local meta the valiant would have been a better choice. Taking Ion Bulwark and Saint Ion gives the valiant a 2+/4++ and then you have you pick of house.

After our Tales journey is complete I already planned to have one of each type of knight in the final list of the House. So a Valiant is in my future.

The castellan just reminds me of a mech from Battletech and honestly I'm debating on doing a crusader in my 2K list as well...

*does calculation*

It fits if I take the ironstorm pod instead of the usual stormspear. Something to try later.

Generally a good portion of my list selection is based on fluff choices. It's why I'm taking this house as a stand in for Taranis, because they are originally of House Taranis. As a side note, my plans for the knights attached to my space wolves (there will be four) will all be freeblades, and their traits randomly rolled as well.

So got in my first 1K bout for our Tales group, against the durkari.

Knights
SHD - House Jenius (Taranis)
Lady Gwyneth Thranc Jenius - Castellan "Zorn des Löwen" - Volcano Lance, "Cawl's Wrath", siege cannons x2, shieldbreaker missile battery, twin meltagun x2, Ion Bulwark
Unit A01 - Warglaive - Thermal Spear, Reaper Chain Cleaver, heavy stubber
Unit B02 - Helverin - Armigar Autocannon x2, heavy stubber

vs

Durkari
Battlion
Homonculus - Hex rifle, ichor injector, electocorrisive whip
Homonculus - Hex rifle, nightmare doll, ichor injector, electocorrisive whip, Master Regenerist
5 Wracks - electocorrisive whip, liquifier gun, Ossefactor
10 Wracks - electocorrisive whip, liquifier gun x2, Ossefactor
3 Grotesques
Talos - Macro-scalpel, twin liquifier gun, haywire blaster
Cronos - spirit probe, spirit vortex
Raider - Dark Lance, chains, trophies, shock prow, phantasm grenade launcher
Venom - Splinter cannon x2

Mission: Invasion
Deployment: Standard
Twist: Warp Storm (worthless)
Ruse (Knights): Inspiring Speech (also worthless)

So he placed his objective caddy corner to my own, setting his force in a tight group just across from Vorn. My own force spread out with Unit A01 as close to his objective as possible. I lucked out in that he rolled a one for first turn and didn't seize. However this was his only real bad roll of the game.

Setup

Unit A01 moved forward towards his objective while the others held their ground. Unit A01 softened up the Raider with his grotesques. Unit B02 activated Skyreaper protocol and took down the Venom, it exploded and grazed pretty much his whole army. Vorn split fire, missing the Talos with the shieldbreaker, killing a wrack that escaped the Venom with the siegecannons and another with plasma from the larger unit. The raider with the grotesques dropped to a volcano lance shot but didn't explode and almost took a grotesque with it.

Aftershot

His force split into two parts, the remaining raider, the grotesques, the masked homoculus and Talos headed to his objective. The rest moved down toward Vorn who was defending mine. His dark lance missed the warglaive while the Talos started emping it. The Cronos and the homonculus did a little damage shooting Vorn.

Unit A01 grabbed the objective for a moment, Vorn shifted forward to get all weapons in range. Unit A01 dropped the last raider with a well placed thermal shot, cooking two wracks in the wreckage. Unit B02 and Vorn focused on the approaching horde. A few wracks fell to the fire, the last shieldbreaker missile being a dud and the Cronos tanked the volcano lance like a champ. Unit A01 charged the grotesques and slayed one and gravely injuring another while taking no damage in return.

Unit01

He backed the grotesques away so the rest of the strike force could  shot. The other force prepared their assault on Vorn. The Talos manages to emp Unit A01 into shutting down. The others manage to peel a few more wounds off Vorn before attempting their assault, the wracks lose one to overwatch and fail to hurt Vorn in CC while she steps on one.

First assault

Vorn backs away an inch and between the siegecannons and meltas the wracks are evaporated. The cronos tanks another blast from the volcano cannon and the wrath of plasma takes out all but one wrack from the second unit. Unit B02 finishes the last wrack in stubber fire and nearly kills the Cronos in a volley of autocannon rounds.

HvC

His other half of his army moves down field, running as fast as possible while the homonculus holds the objective. His hexrifle scores a wound, then he charges. The cronos tanking the overwatch and the homonculus moving in. Both fail to wound Vorn while in return she stomps him into the ground.

Vorn peels back a bit, still in range of the objective, but away from the approaching force. Unit B02 makes a bee line for the other objective, blasting at the wracks and failing to do damage. Vorn tries to blast the cronos with melta and plasma but it take the fire just fine. Siegecannons nearly wipe out the approaching wracks and the Talos takes a turn tanking the volcano lance. Vorn then assaults back into the cronos and kicks it off the objective.

Wave2t

The last of the durkari move in, ignoring Unit B02. The talos scores a few emp wounds, Vorn nearing half health. Since most of the force ran, the talos tries for an assault and this time fails to tank the lance in overwatch.

Wave2

Entering the final turn Unit B02 gets into capture range of the enemy objective and hoses the homonculus with hard rounds, this one not as durable as it's counterpart, drops. Vorn fails to harm any of the approaching durkari. The grotesque leap onto the objective and the game is called.

It's a draw.

Post game:

I need to warm up my dice. Tactics were good but the number of 1s and 2s again.... sweet Emperor. The talos is going to be moved a little higher on the priority list. The Haywire blaster is painful.

• 2 weeks later...

So got the IF player to hit the field. Sorry for the lack of pictures but this wasn't long.

Knights
Lady Gwyneth Thranc Jenius - Castellan "Zorn des Löwen" - Volcano Lance, "Cawl's Wrath", siege cannons x2, shieldbreaker missile battery, twin meltagun x2, Ion Bulwark
Unit B03 - Helverin - Armigar Autocannon x2, heavy stubber

vs

Imperial Fists
Battalion
Lieutenant - MC auto bolt rifle
Lieutenant - MC auto bolt rifle
5 man Interssor squad - auto bolt rifles
5 man Interssor squad - auto bolt rifles
8 man Interssor squad - auto bolt rifles
5 man Helblaster squad - plasma incinerators
Leviathan Dreadnaught - Cyclonic melta lance, siege drill, heavy flamer, meltagun

Mission: Draw and Quartered
Deployment: Half Hammer and Anvil
Twist: Blind Fury
Ruse (Knights): Dug in

I placed my objectives about mid of my two quarters. The IF player placed one in a center ruin and one on a hill to his flank. Unit placement was scattered on both ends. I placed Vorn on one objective and Unit B03 on the other, Unit A01 forward as I could to his center objective. He placed the Leviathan on the flank near the warglaive. His eight man unit and a lt on the hill, a five man team on the center objective and had the other five man team holding a bunker for reserve, his helblasters and second Lt in a ruin by Vorn.

I got first turn and powered up the weapons. Unit A01 rushed forward, getting close to the center unit. Vorn fired first, sending siege shells into the large unit on the hill and dropping two. Rest of the fire went into the leviathan, the sheildbreaker and hit and failed to damage, the plasma causing four wounds and the volcano lance only glanced it for four more. Unit B03 focused fire on the unit on the hill dropping one more. Unit A01 tried to kill steal the Leviathan and only glanced another two wounds off it.

IFvK10001

The warglaive then charged the Interssors holding the central objective, killing three and took a wound in return.

In his turn he moved the Leviathan to deal with the warglaive and pulled the two remaining interessors back and rushed the other five man unit forward. the leviathan opened up as Unit A01 rotated his shields to take the brunt. All the Leviathan's attacks were blocked, however the rest of the marines opened fire, an overcharged helblaster and two bolt rounds wounded the young squire. The leviathan then charged and smacked the warglaive for a good six wounds.

IFvK10002

Smoking and heavily injured the pilot got one good attack round from his mount (machine resurgence), three hits, three wounds and only one saved. The leviathan toppled over slain. At that point the IF player forfeited. Even wounded the warglaive was an issue and there was little chance he was going to survive four more rounds of fire.

Post-game:
At best we were looking at a tie, me forcing the warglaive into his lines I think surprised him, especially the durablity of the warglaive. I'd like to see his list against the others, it was a close lose against the DE player at least. Thier mission was Comet and the DE player had the mobility as it landed far from the melee that developed.

Later this week I'll be facing the Aeldari as he has added nine more bikes with cannons and maybe the Tau as well who added a riptide. The Daemon player added another herald and another princess but has been delayed in painting due to other commitments (ie getting a Killteam demo set built and painted)

So the DE player got more work done on his army and challenged me to a 1250 game.

Knights
SHD House Jenuis (Taranis)
Lady Llywelyn Farnia Jenius - Crusader "Königin der Löwen" - Avenger Gatling Cannon, heavy flamer, Reaper Chainsword, heavy stubber, Icars autocannon
SHA
Gallant "Jager Krallen" - Reaper Chainsword, Thunderfist gauntlet, meltagun, Icras autocannon, Armour of Saint Ion, freeblade (Sworn to Quest, Legendary Hero, Price of Failure)

vs

Drukari
Battlion
Homonculus - Hex rifle, nightmare doll, ichor injector, electocorrisive whip, Master Regenerist
5 Grotesques - liquifier gun x3
5 Scourges - blaster pistol, blaster x4

Mission: Burn and Pillage
Deployment: Quarters
Twist: Warp Storm
Ruse (Dukari): Tactical Reserves

We both deployed our objectives deep in our deployment zones. I placed the crusader on the corner objective, the helverin on the farthest from him and the gallant and warglaive near the closest to him. He placed just about all of his units as close to me as possible, holding his scourges in reserve.

KvDstart

DvKstart

I got first turn and pushed the gallant and warglaive into the fray. The helverin dropped a raider, killing a wrack in the explosion. The crusader split her fire to soften up the enemy, wounding the venom and killing a few wracks, the talos shrugging off battle cannon rounds like it was nothing.  Unfortunately the gallant and warglaive could not kill the talos either, though wounded it a bit before assaulting into the drukari line. The gallant went after the venom and nightmare doll homonculus while the warglaive pushed into the large wrack unit. Jager tossed the venom into the Talos, wounding it further but not killing it. He also failed to kill the homonculus, wounded, but not kill. The warglaive started to cleave through the wracks dropping three.

KvD12502

He backed away from the gallant and dropped his grotesques off to run after my helverin. His scourges dropped in behind the gallant and started opening fire. Between the Talos and scourges he managed a good ten wounds off the gallant, while the raider scored a direct hit on the helverin causing six wounds. He then charged his other homonculus in then a squad of wracks, the talos and cronos into the gallant. Their combined weight dropping the gallant to six wounds. The grotesques also manage to get into combat with the helverin, their cleavers only shaving another wound off. The gallant managed to take down most of the wracks that assaulted it while the warglaive fell two more of the squad on him with no damage returned even with the additional support of four more wracks.

KvD12504

Pushing the gallant for a turn it moved to the closest objective just behind the main force. The helverin backed away as well to try and hold the objective behind it. The gallant dropped the talos to icras fire (finally) while the crusader damaged the raider with the battlecannon and vaporized the scourges with gatling fire. the gallant then assaulted the nightmare homonculus and the last of the wracks, only killing one wrack and failing to wound the homonculus. The warglaive finished the large squad of wracks and in a fit rage Jager grabs the homonculus and squeezes him to death, then destroyed the objective marker.

The grotesques chase down the helverin and move to take an objective with the raider putting all power to it's engines to make the objective. His scattered force regroups and he drops another group of scourges down (tactical reserve). The wracks hold the warglaive for now. The scourges drop the gallant, dealing ten wounds of a need six with blasters. The grotesques charge the helverin, losing one to overwatch but still managing to nearly kill it in melee. The warglaive hacks down a wrack, his armour holding. The raider manages to destroy one of my objectives.

KvD12506

The warglaive see an opening and makes a dash for another enemy objective, the helverin pulling out of combat to give the crusader it's targets. Konigin opens up and in a massive expanse of ammo wipes out the raider and grotesques. The warglaive then destroys the second enemy objective.

KvD12507

Chancing it most of the Drukari move towards the crusader's position, the scourges slagging the warglaive in a volley of blaster fire. The remaining homonculus had gotten close enough to destroy my second objective. The wounded helverin moves forward and lights up the scourges, killing three but the drukari are took engrossed to care. The crusader's fire is light and the remaining drukari are uninjured, what little there is left.

The cronos and scourges flank the helverin while the remaining wracks and homonculus start for the last objective. Blaster fire finishes the wounded armigar. the crusader takes a gamble and moves forward, battlecannon and icars fire drop the last of the scourges while the gatling kills a squad of wracks. She then assaults the homonculus as last wrack, stomping the wrack good and hard, the homonculus doing a few wounds in return.

Slowed by the assault the homonculus can't get close enough to destroy my last objective and the cronos even with a burst of speed is just off.  In a last ditch assault the crusader moves to intercept the last two drukari, the cronos survives fire from all the weapons minus the gatling cannon, which does a good job pasting the homonculus. She then assaults the cronos and stomps it flat.

KvD12509

Post game
Emperor this was a brutal game. I really need to learn how to use a knight in melee as I should have been using strategiums left and right for a more devestating first round. The gallant performed decent under my lack of experience, it took most of his army to drop it and it stalled it enough for me to defend my corner objective well enough. I just need more practice with the gallant as I tend to do mostly a shooting game.

On that it seems that the DE player is getting ahead on his painting so might have a 1500 pts game against him this weekend and that will be Maelstorm missions.

My list is replacing the crusader with the castellan and adding a second helverin. So will get in more work with the gallant.

So got in my 1K against the Aeldari. This game was done Thursday and due to RL being a bit of a pain recently this took a while and things got fuzzy at the end.

Knights

vs

Aeldari
Outrider
Farseer on bike - Singing Spear, Executioner, Mind War, Fate's Messenger, Phoenix gem
Vyper - Bright lance, Shuriken cannon
Outsider
3 Skyrunners - Shuriken Cannons

Mission: Supply Cashe and Gloryseeker
Deployment: Spearhead
Twist: Many Paths to Victory
Ruse (knight): Tactical Reserve

Placed the warglaive forward, the helverin flanked south and the castellan in the center. The Aeldari were placed along his board edge with a bike squad for each Vyper and escorting his two psykers, the hemlock was in reserve. I got first turn and removed three possible markers and moved the helverin forward to one and the castellan north to another. The warglaive moved just forward to engage the xenos point blank. The castellan dropped a vyper, wiped out a bike squad and almost finished off a second squad. The warglaive failed to damage anything and the helverin only glanced a vyper.

KvA1K1

KvA1K2

KvA1K3

The aeldari split into to forces, two vypers and a squad of bikers surrounded the helverin while the psykers and another squad engaged the warglaive. The two pskers managed to score a combined five wounds even with the hex wards up. The helverin redirected it's shields as the bright lances tried to penetrate and failed, a few shurikens did scratch it though.

It was confirmed at that point that the cashe was far from any of the knights. The castellan moving down the street towards it but losing a large amount of the aeldari targets. The helverin and warglaive move to engage the psykers and hopefully shot down some xenos from the rear. At this range it was hard to miss. The castellan cleared the lone biker from the cashe and in a blaze of plasma took down another bike squad. The warglaive melta'd the warlock, the helverin taking out a vyper. The two tried to pincer the farseer and only the warglaive got in and scored one good hit, the farseer's armour holding off the rest of the strikes. For his troubles the farseer scores a few good hits with his spear bringing the warglaive into critical.

KvA1K4

KvA1K5

The hemlock arrives and the aeldari consolidate their forces. A smite from the hemlock finishes the warglaive and the farseer sends a smite to the helverin doing a wound. The force then focuses on the helverin, her shields barely hold off the assault and the helverin is near critcial. The helverin pulled back to the cashe as the castellan rounded the corner. With a target rich environment the Vorn opened fire. The siegecannons kill a biker, the volcano lance vaporizes a vyper while the plasma does some damage to the hemlock. The damaged helverin manages to take out a bike squad.

Their force dwindling and now in full view of the walking gun battery the Aeldari form up. The hemlock and farseer pair up and try to one-two punch the castellan but fail massively. The last remaining vyper and bikers focus on the helverin and manage to take it down with a few well placed shots. The hemlock flames the castellan for four wounds. The castellan shifts position to protect the cashe and picks it's targets. The siegecannons finish the last bike unit, the lance spears the last vyper. In position to have the faseer closest the sheildbreaker missile fires, hits and causes six wounds, the farseer exploding and survives? He was close enough to the hemlock that he scored a wound on it for his phoenix gem to pop. However the hemlock was knocked out due to to plasma flak right after.

KvA1K7

Faced with only a farseer with one wound the Aeldari player gave, not wanting to face a full barrage from the castellan.

Post-game:
I'm learning proper screening tactics now that I have the units to screen with. Since I know of his psychic glass cannon I've taken steps to neutralize it asap and the fact that the building in the center of the field (from the new killteam box) divided the field both helped and hindered me. While it kept the enemy force safe from my castellan, it forced him to deal with the armigars and it was fire that they soaked up that kept the castellan at near full for the whole game.

Since I already have my 1250 list and it seems that his adding a fire prism and vyper in his next bump. It's going to be another hard fight since I'll have two full knights for him to deal with.

Only ones left in the 1K range is the daemons and Tau and it's confirmed that he just added in a riptide. With the adding of the helverin I should be able to neutralize the daemon's fiend screen and that will allow me to shoot him.

So I got my 1K game in against the Tau. Unfortunately neither of us took pictures and I was in a slight haze and so were my dice it seemed.

Knights

vs

Tau
Battlion (Bork)
Cadre Fireblade
Ethereal
5x Fire warriors
5x Fire warriors
5x Fire warriors
5x Pathfinders
Tactical drone unit - 5 markers, 3 shield drones
Y'Varha Battlesuit - ATS
Riptide Battlesuit - SMS, Heavy burstcannon, ATS, Velocity tracker

Mission: Take and Hold
Deployment: Table Halves
Twist: Eager to Fight
Ruse (Knights): Revenge

So he placed all his firewarriors in a building near his objective, the y'varha and riptide plus drones a little forward but in cover of a large ruin and his pathfinders up front in the middle but in cover.

He got first turn and moved up his pathfinders to take the center objective. He jumps the Y'varha and moves the riptide up to get a shot. He lights my warglaive up like a christmas tree. Luckily his shields held against the barrage that came in.

I moved the warglaive and helverin to center field and then focused my light weapons on the drones since they were close to the riptide and then the heavy weapons against the riptide itself. At this point I was dumb struck at the fire it shrugged off. Mind you it Nova'd for a 3+ inv, which allowed it to shrug off, 2 thermal lances, 6 autocannons, 6/7 plasma dustructor and 2 volcano lances. Oh and the drones managed to make 5/6 5+ saves versus the siege cannons. At least the pathfinders died quickly to a charging warglaive.

Rest of the game is a blur after that, but in summary:

The armigars held out for a while taking shots from both suits and only dying in the 4th turn.

The fire warrior blob did little, about a few wounds in total but the biggest support was the fireblade's markerlight.

He made by my count 90% of his saves, most being either 3's or 5's depending on the targets. While his save rolls were hot luckily his wound rolls were not. Not that it mattered since I had a 50/50 shot of making it anyway.

The game ended in a draw, so salvageable, and I killed both suits.

Post-game:
Not much here other then roll better. I now see that the riptide is a tanky sucker and it's only going to get worse since my castellan drops to a crusader, but I'm gaining a gallent. So time to see if I can crush the bugger, from my count I can death grip the thing at a +2 roll, so hopefully get a few d3 MW in.

At least I can just engage the Y'vahra at close range since all my weapons will only get it to a 4+ anyway.

From what I heard his just inflating his fire warrior squads in the next up take, which will add to his fire base and make it nessesary for the Crusader to have to barrage them prior to the Gallent or warglaive assaulting in.

• 1 month later...

I have battle summaries for the last few games, haven't been able to write them out due to some health issues during september and just being busy at work where I write these things. I'll include any pictures from the battles, if any after the post game section. Anyway, ready and FIGHT!

---------------------------------
Well seems the Tau player has my number dialed in.

SHD (Taranis)
Crusader "Königin der Löwen" - Avenger Gatling Cannon, heavy flamer, Reaper Chainsword, heavy stubber, Icars autocannon
Gallant "Jager Krallen" - Reaper Chainsword, Thunderfist gauntlet, meltagun, Icras autocannon

vs

Tau
Battlion (Bork)
Coldstar commander - fusion blaster x4
Cadre Fireblade
Ethereal
5x Fire warriors
5x Fire warriors
5x Fire warriors
5x Pathfinders
Tactical drone unit - 5 markers, 3 shield drones
Y'Varha Battlesuit - ATS
Riptide Battlesuit - SMS, Heavy burst cannon, ATS, Velocity tracker

Mission: Invasion and Kingslayer
Deployment: Chevron
Twist: Many paths to Victory
Ruse (knights): Revenge

I took the larger triangle deployment and of course the tau castled in the corner. I spread out a bit with the Crusader defending the objective.

I got first turn and forgot target priority. While I targeted his pathfinders with the light weapons I didn't do enough damage. The rest went to the two large suits instead of the drones like I should of and it cost me a large amount of possible wounds. I also gave him the needed marker lights to get his +1 BS on the gallent

He got smart and focused on one knight at a time, in order, the gallent, dropping it in two rounds as I was trying to assault his line, bad idea. Then had the Y'varha nearly kill the warglaive only to have it die in overwatch.

The helverin survived an assault from the fusion commander and failed to kill him in return. The crusader managed to kill the commander and the Y'varha, but was heavily damaged and then finished off by the riptide

Post-game:
I have to remember that assaulting a Tau castle with less then units then there are in the castle is a bad idea. In this case I should have held the gallent back and just added his icars fire to the lot to take down drones and a few shots at the suits before using him as a counter assault unit against the y'vahra which need to get a little close. Same with the warglaive.

If I remember my planned 1500 list I'm upgrading the crusader to the castellan and adding a helverin, so I'll get a chance to test this theory. But I need to remember to wipe out those marker lights turn one, same for any drones.

So the IF player manned up and took on my knights.

Knights vs Imperial Fists
Crusader "Königin der Löwen" - Avenger Gatling Cannon, heavy flamer, Reaper Chainsword, heavy stubber, Icars autocannon
Gallant "Jager Krallen" - Reaper Chainsword, Thunderfist gauntlet, meltagun, Icars autocannon

vs

Imperial Fists
Battlion
Captain in Gravis Armour
techmarine
5 man Intercessor squad
5 man Intercessor squad
5 man Intercessor squad
Venerable Dreadnaught - twim lascannon, twin autocannon
Levathian Dreadnaught - Storm cannon x2
5 man Helblaster squad

Twist: Grudge Match
Ruse (Knights): Revenge

He set up his three objectives spaced across his board edge, one being on a hill. I set up mine in the corner as close together as legally possible. He had a squad of intercessors next to each objective with the rest of his army guarding the hill objective. I placed my two shooty knights in between the three objectives, the gallent ready to take the center objective with the warglaive ready for the far objective.

I got first turn and the gallent and warglaive rushed their respective targets. The crusader and helverin down field and managed to hurt the dread, leviathan and took out a helblaster, not much for first turn shooting. The gallent and warglaive dropped a intercessor each.

His reply was that much better. Focused fire from his heavies managed to drop seven wounds from the crusader. A 3+ inv and 6+ FNP helped a large amount for once.

Post game:
Only reason he asked to fight me was to test out his storm leviathan, which didn't do too well, but it was targetting one of the most durable units in our group.

KvsIF125001

KvsIF125002

KvsIF125003

KvsIF125004

KvsIF125005

KvsIF125006

Next up

Imperial Knight vs Aeldari (1250)

Gallant "Jager Krallen" - Reaper Chainsword, Thunderfist gauntlet, meltagun, Icars autocannon

vs

Aeldari
Outrider
Outsider
Fire Prism

Deployment: Triangle
Twist: Warp Storm
Ruse (Aeldari): Inspiring Speech

He took the larger deployment, leaving me the two corners. I set up all three of my objectives as close together as possible. He set his evenly spaced on his back line. His entire army was set to move into my deployment zone as quickly as possible, Vypers forming a solid flank with the bikes screening his HQs and tank. I placed the Crusader and helverin to guard the objectives while the gallant was placed as close to the enemy as I could. The warglaive was set up in the opposite deployment area to go after the mission objectives and maybe draw some fire.

I got first turn and the gallant charged forward, the warglaive moving towards his first objective. The crusader shift to the side to get a line on the xenos. Both icras and the helverin focused on the hemlock, only managing to drop half it's wounds. The warglaive missed all it's shots. The gallent did heavy damage to a vyper while the crusader wiped a squad of bikers and detonated a vyper, causing just as many mortal wounds in the tightly packed group.

The gallent then charged the group, taking a few wounds going in but got a bike squad and a vyper. It swatted the vyper, causing more damage to his last vyper and obliterated the bike squad before consolidating into his HQs.

At that point he gave, a barely damaged gallent in his lines and a good chuck of his force out, he was done.

Post game: Not much for this, if his going his planned list while it's a decent one against others, his hard pressed against me and that is starting to wear on him. Like the IF player I'm going to see if he wants to try another of my armies, though I still want to take on his final list with mine.

KvA1250

and finally we are in maelstrom.

1500 vs Durkari

vs

Battlion

Mission: Secure and Control
Deployment: Corners

I took the corner with the most objectives in/near it. The durkari deployed a fast flank of raiders and the venom with a core of the monsters in the center. I had the gallant and warglaive forward with the castellan and the two helverins near objectives. I got first turn and the gallant was off. I got within charge range of his center, the helverins and castellan working to drop transports and hurt the talos. The raider with the grotsques dropped with another raider heavily wounded.

Most of his army then swung to deal with the gallent while sending a few units to take objectives so he could draw objectives.

A large unit of wracks kept my warglaive busy in the center. While on a flank first a squad of wracks in his venom tried to take an objective only to be wiped by combined fire from my helverin and seigecannons. His scrourages managed to one shot the helverin but took heavy loses afterwards.

The gallent kept him busy for most of the game, supported by fire from the castellan and second helverin. He did manage to take it down and heavily wound the warglaive. Game ended on turn 5 with only two scourages on the field and a score of 8-6 in my favor.

Post game:
Well he was close, but for once I was rolling well and managed to complete my objectives that I drew. I was out of CP by turn 3, most of in in turn 1 with a full tilt, re-roll and sky-reaper, but all worth it. Also having four of the six objectives in/near my deployment zone helped greatly.

For our next game I'm adding a warglaive, not sure if I'm going to paint a new on up (I have the parts I think) or just bring in my wolf-glaive.

KvsD125001

KvsD125002

KvsD125003

KvsD125004

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrow is my group's Extralife day. For it my local FLGS is open 24 hrs for gaming and taking last minute donations.

If you wish to do so the team to donate to is Steel City Score Attack

Anyway most of the Tales group is going to be there, the Tau player has other plans. So I should get in a bit of games during the marathon.

Here's what I'm hoping to get:
Slannesh - 1K+ (depending on his schedule)
Drukari - 1750 and 2K
Aeldari - 1500+ With a bonus 1250 Aeldari vs Aeldari that looks like a speed freak game.
IF - 1500+ His opted for the SW route, however my 1750 has a SHD of armigers, let's see if the helverin is better then a las-pred, at 2K he has to face the knights.

We were planning a 3v3 mega battle (6K each side), but with the Tau player out that was canceled and we'll be re-scheduling it for a later date.

Along with all these battles there is a special event, the Lord of War Rumble. This will be in two divisions, light weight (500 pts max) and heavy weight (no point limit). Each player brings a single lord of war. For the light weight I'm bringing a Stryix and the heavy I have a warhound titan, though in the heavy weight we might see a warlord titan hit the field.

So here is the lists I'm taking for for my 1750 and 2K battles.

1750 pts
SHD (House Taranis)
Ulvokse - Warglaive - Thermal Spear, Reaper Chain Cleaver, heavy stubber

2000 pts
SHD (House Taranis)

I will do my best to get lots of pictures and a full report, or best I can.

So I didn't get to play nearly as many games of 40K as I wanted, nor won either of the events, but still had fun and raised some money during the events by being a pain in the arse.

To explain, like last year one of the money raising option at the FLGS was that for a $1 you could purchase another chance at fate. This was basically re-rolls and the amount of re-rolls two people used on me in the events was a bit much.

First game of the day was a 2K versus Drukari. Since this was a league game, charity re-rolls were not used.

2K vs Drukari

Knights
SHD (House Taranis)
Crusader "Königin der Löwen" - "Endless Fury", heavy flamer, Reaper Chainsword, heavy stubber x2, Rapid-fire Battlecannon, Icars autocannon

Drukari
Battlion

Mission: Escalation

Basic Overview:

He actually got first turn on a seize.

First turn shooting wasn't much, a few wounds here and there, but nothing of note. During my turn I killed a talos and a raider, but that was really it other then the gallant failing a four inch charge, after command re-roll too.

The drukari swarmed the center of the table and infected my lines fast. The gallent was swamped most of the time as he welded it down, each time he tried to hold it in place I managed to tip-toe out for an additional assault. 

One of the helverins killed more grotaques in combat then the warglaive managed earlier, it was weird, but both were taken down.

The castellan was knee deep in Drukari for most of the battle and holding her own, both her and the crusader had to pull a lot of weight and even crossed the table by game end. I was using both melta and the flamer all game, it was weird.

Both armies were grinded down over time, leaving me with a helverin in the path of the last pocket of drukari and the crusader and castellan wounded but still at full power on the other side of the board.

We had to call it after turn four due to getting close to the first scheduled event of the day. He was way ahead (4 to 9) so looked like due to time he won.

Post-game: He called it a draw since he was down to three units and I had a large amount of firepower still on the field. Feeling he would not have survived another round of shooting.

Overall they didn't do too bad, the real test will be against the T'au

Battle Picts:

KvsD2K01

KvsD2K02

KvsD2K03

KvsD2K04

KvsD2K05

KvsD2K06

KvsD2K08

KvsD2K09

KvsD2K10

KvsD2K11

KvsD2K12

Events:
There was only four of us for the light weight, my Styrix, a gaint squigoth, a barbed heirodrul and a levithan dread.

We set up in each corner and rolled off for turn order. The squigoth went first and bombed the crap out of the levi or would have if he wasn't using using re-rolls like cheap beer. Next the barbed heirodrul moved against me, got a wound that my shield deflected. I was next and after doing 13 wounds via the volkite the rad cleanser bbq'ed it (12 hits, 5 6's). The leviathan moved and charged the squigoth and in two rounds of combat dropped it.

After that it was three rounds of shooting until the leviathan was close enough to me to charge and I charged, then charged again in my next turn, after four rounds the leviathan dropped me, but only after the guy told me he pass me the prize of the Audio CD. He had also dropped $35 on re-rolls that game.

Next was the heavy-weight and for this we had more poeple. On the table we had 3 warhounds, a stompa, a necron pylon, the nurgle daemon, a crusader knight and towering quiet literally over all, a warlord titan. Seriously the stompa was shorter then it's knee.

The warlord player stated that he would only attack those that attacked him, other wise the rest of us were there to fight for his amusment. Some too offense to that... we rolled for turn order. The pylon was first and struck the warlord doing a bit of damage, of the warhouds was next and added to it, dropping the warlord below half wounds.

The warlord then melted both of them, the pylon dropped to the turbolasers, the warhound survived the turbolasers and dropped to the belicous cannon. Stompa was next and was in charge range of the warlord. He shot me (a warhound) and did nothing, he didn't even charge the warlord. The daemon on the other side of the warlord moved to engage the knight player.

My turn, one turbolaser to the stompa and it went up like a roman candle. The other to the warlord, a few hits, all wounds and after the total was calculated... I missed by 1 wound. Spent a reroll to get four more added to the total. Warlord drops.

The other warhound then proceeds to unload on me, burning re-rolls to get maximum damage. I shrugs off the turbolaser normally but have to drop a few re-rolls to survive the plasma-blast gun.

On the next round, I get to go before the enemy warhound, I back off a bit and unload about half a dozen turbolaser rounds into it. He spends double that in re-rolls to deny the damage. The nurgle daemon closes in and drops crusader.  The enemy warhound shifts to get some distance from the daemon and unloads into me again. Once again targeting me and I manage to shrug off the turbolaser using only one re-roll, the blast gun was re-rolled to full shot and wound. As he counts up the number of re-rolls used in this event I think I'm good losing, guy dropped a benjamin into the donation can before the event and he was hitting 54 before I was to roll my 11 saves. I shrug and let the dice drop as they may, I fail 8 of the 11 to drop me down 0 wounds.

Pictures:

light01

light02

light03

heavy01

I already had the prize in a sense since the prize for the light and heavy weight was the same. I also got the guy to burn half his re-roll amount for one event. Next round he did kill the nurgle daemon, bringing his final count of the event to 63 re-rolls used.

Afterwards I took my 2K list versus a warhound.

The warhound didn't do too well, only managing to score 14 wounds on the castellan before the dropping to the combined fire of the army. It did last two turns though.

WvsK02

WvsK01

WvsK03

That was all the 40K games I got in. The Aeldari player never showed and I spent the rest of the day playing a few board games, including a nice game of Big Trouble in Little China which we kicked Lo Ping's arse hard. Played some EDH and finished the morning painting my Aeldari while watching others do a round of Warhammer quest.

It was fun and the FLGS raised over $1K for Children's Hospital.

Now to wait til next year and see if we can get a nice Apoc game going.

Archived