ADB hints a new Night Lords-series?

NL ADB

Oh, Dark Gods of the cosmos! Please be true!

I know a lot of people lament the fate of a certain Word Bearer, but if there is something that can't be forgiven... Never forgotten...
WE REMEMBER
HOUND!

Right, and Uzas would like totally hang out with Khârn and be like chill dudes and fire works. It would be the bestes of the best bromances and everyone involved would be like cool and awesome.

Except for one little detail... 

p_q

It would be cool to see Decimus make an appearance in the Dark Imperium. I wonder how the process works though, does ADB just pitch an idea to BL/GW? Do they say start and A and end at B, but fill it however you like? Do they say make sure to include character ABC at some point, we've got plans for him later on?

Ohhhh myyyyy gooooood :O

Is nearly all I have to say..

But only nearly!

Decimus! Night Lords during the Scouring or another great era!

Dark Imperium with Decimis, Variel and the Athramentar as old guard and new ones being added.

So many options..

I really hope this happens at some point. But then again I’d read most anything by ADB. At least within the confines of sci-fi/fantasy. If he becomes the main writer for gritty Hello Kitty spinoff fiction I’d probably have to take a step back.

I was at the Dublin BL weekender a few years back. When asked about this he said he couldnt because they couldn't advance the storyline and because they are all dead"it'd be about them rotting in their graves". Obviously things have changed since then and the storyline has advanced significantly. I wonder if the new series will be a prequel or will focus on the remaining characters? Both have potential.

Oooh, I'm torn... here's the thing.

I class the Night Lords trilogy as my favourite novels ever produced by Black Library. I got them when they first came out in paperback, when they came out in the paperback anthology, and then finally the hardback box set just recently. I still cite these as some of the best examples of how to write traitor Asatrtes in the entirety of the 40k setting, and getting an audience to back characters who are at heart nothing more than sadistic killers. The final words between Uzas and Cyrion at the end of Void Stalker still hit me as the best example of this, as I can't help but feel complete pity and remorse for a warrior who has been falling to Khorne over the centuries and his manipulation by one of his 'brothers'. 

The series ended brilliantly, it tied a lot of things together and then had a single 'post-credits' scene with the introduction of Decimus trying to unite elements of the Legion into joining the 13th Black Crusade, and ultimately enact what the Eldar had tried to prevent. It was great.

Going back and doing a second trilogy, my heart wants it desperately, but my head is wary. If it's set after the events of the three books (which logically makes sense) then a lot of the characters I was invested in are dead, rightfully so. I loved Talos' rose tinted glasses view of the Legion of old, despising what the remnants has become. I loved the martial prowess of Xarl, and his own sense of honour. I even loved the flitting of Uzas between the uncontrollable berserker and the times of clarity where he becomes the legionnaire of old. But those characters are gone, and ultimately I think it's those characters that I want to see more of. 

But as an author who doesn't put out a lot over the course of a 12 month period (not a jab, I'm a quality over quantity man every day of the week), and with a number of already in-flight projects, then maybe this will be one for the back burner?

Assuming BL would give the pitch the green light, I'd like to think that it would be a new stand alone trilogy with as few connections to the original as possible... and yes it does break my precious little heart to say that :happy.:

Excellent! I would be delighted if he did. I think ADB has always hoped and wanted (as most of us fans have) that he would hammer out a long running series.

The night lords would get my vote for his subject to be sure, it’s by far his best work to date and most certainly if you leave aside his Heresy stuff. I would love to read more of the merry band of murderers from 10th company.

Black Legion has the potential to be stronger than the NL series ever was. He's not far enough in his career to need to start the 'nostalgia tour'

I think he mentioned at one stage that it would be his gaunts ghosts

Black Legion has the potential to be stronger than the NL series ever was. He's not far enough in his career to need to start the 'nostalgia tour'

I think he mentioned at one stage that it would be his gaunts ghosts

Even better. Theres just nothing the Night Lords could explore at this point the BL characters couldn't.

Even better. Theres just nothing the Night Lords could explore at this point the BL characters couldn't.

I agree, but despite the well written Talon of Horus, I like the VIII better than the Black Legion. Now a novel/trilogy/series of novels about the Luna Wolves on the other hand....

Archived