ADB hints a new Night Lords-series?

I'd be down for another NL trilogy. I'm not sure how much I'd like it tbh, what with Mercutian, Xarl, and Uzas dead, the only ones that I remember liking that were still alive were Lucyphorius and Malcharion.

Black Legion has the potential to be stronger than the NL series ever was. He's not far enough in his career to need to start the 'nostalgia tour'

Disagree. His writing and character development was far superior in the NL books. With the NL he had almost complete freedom to run with a rarely written about Legion and make it his own. His BL books have added to the grand scheme of the 40k universe story and are worthy books but as far as creating a little niche that is entirely his own the NL have the capacity allow that. The NL series were his best characters to date. All my own opinion!

I understand what you're getting at, but the Night Lords, at this point, are set in stone. There aren't anymore stories to tell. The Black Legion has 10K years to fill in, even if the studio tanks their fluff. I think we can ALL agree if he's going to go revisit anyone it should be Grimaldus ;)

I understand what you're getting at, but the Night Lords, at this point, are set in stone. There aren't anymore stories to tell. The Black Legion has 10K years to fill in, even if the studio tanks their fluff. I think we can ALL agree if he's going to go revisit anyone it should be Grimaldus :wink:

Though I agree with you on Grimaldus, I have to disagree with the rest.

Your argument about 10K years to fill is also fitting to ALL Traitor Legions and I dare to say further, to all factions. Yes, we got some very impactful & important events. But at the same time, those events are only featured rarely by Black Library.

And thus, we got 10K years of exploring the Night Lords, as well.

Yes, the Black Legion series are great on their own. And the development from a small band of brothers into the mightiest Legion of them all is something I love to read, don't get me wrong.

But I'd love to have another trilogy or even one single book of A D-Bs Night Lords. They are still my most favorite Traitor Legion. And this is only because of the Soulhunter.

While the BL is on a rising star, the NL have to give everything in order to survive. And IMHO this is more interesting, at least for me. :)

If you want more Night Lords, he's still got the Heresy Night Lords story he's had in the running forever, but at this point spreading the love is more important that cool stories for just a few factions. Night Lords, page for page, probably have like... the most written about them of any Chaos Legion.

Off the top of my head:
-Old Book about Tiara Guy
-Pharos
-Vulkan Lives

-Unremembered Empire

-Angels of Darkness

-Ruinstorm

And then a ton of novellas and shorts. You can't throw a stone in a store without hitting someone's Night Lords. They are the most saturated and broadly covered legion of all time. They're essentially the Ultras of the Traitors. 

If you want more Night Lords, he's still got the Heresy Night Lords story he's had in the running forever, but at this point spreading the love is more important that cool stories for just a few factions. Night Lords, page for page, probably have like... the most written about them of any Chaos Legion.

Off the top of my head:

-Pharos

-Vulkan Lives

-Unremembered Empire

-Angels of Darkness

-Ruinstorm

And then a ton of novellas and shorts. You can't throw a stone in a store without hitting someone's Night Lords. They are the most saturated and broadly covered legion of all time. They're essentially the Ultras of the Traitors. 

Do those last four you named have a Night Lord not named Curze?

Oh, I am definitely down for another AD-B trip to the Night Lordverse:yes: 

However much I loved Talos and his merry band, I think their time is over. I fear anything new would be anticlimactic, but with AD-B at the helm, who knows? Personally, I want to see more of Decimus. I think the tale of Decimus is the next logical step.

Of course it matters (to me at least), it's not about the Night Lords, it's about the Night Haunter. Is Pharos a Blood Angel book? Is Angel Exterminatus a Raven Guard book? Saying they're the most saturated and broadly covered legion of all time is a bit disingenuous

This. Just because they are in a book doesn't make it about them. Do Thousand Sons count as books about them in the WillIam King Space Wolves books?

Yes because every time a legion is mentioned there is a chance for a new piece of descriptive lore in the passages. Savage weapons was about Dark Angels, yet introduced foundational concept for the legions aesthetic. Pharos introduces important elements to Sanguinius and the Blood Angels which is far more than say... the Death Guard got, since they were in Pharos at all.

Anytime a legion is mentioned it helps people build armies from that legion. Night lords have one of the best trilogies in the lore and the most solid ending. We don’t need a crop of new archetypical characters. We need new legion and chapter books.

Following your argumentation, the Iron Hands would be the best fleshed out Legion of them all, as they are part of 20 installments (when looking on Tymel's Timeline).

Followed by the Ultramarines with 17 and so on.

I'm with you when you say, other Legions and / or chapter should be the focus. For the same reason I was a tiny bit disappointed to see another UM novel setting in the Dark Imperium era coming instead of another chapter.

Still, all Legions are more than the sum of their covered characters. I'd love to read about a Terran Night Lord band, which still clings to their old image of a necessary weapon of vindication rather than the murderous, yet enjoyable, lunatics we got. Heck, it could even be the ending of Sevatar, Aaron and Alan had planned. Who knows?

Either as a loyalist blackshield force or even a rumored chapter of unknown origins or as a warband, separated from the rest of the Legion.

Whatever it might be (and keep in mind, a new trilogy is NOT confirmed by saying "I got some ideas"), it will only add to the greater setting.

Look I loved the Noght Lords Trilogy as much as the next guy, it was a beautiful piece of literature and really cool. It set the tone for the ADBverse and arguably an author’s early works reveal who they really are going to be throughout their career. I think Soul Hunter is amazing fiction not just in the context of 40k but of sci-fi as a genre.

That being said, Fans shouldn’t treat Night Lords like Free Bird. Everytime ADB says ‘I’ve got an idea’ the guy with tee many martoonis in the back goes ‘TALOS!’

Off the top of my head:

-Pharos

-Vulkan Lives

-Unremembered Empire

-Angels of Darkness

-Ruinstorm

The problem is those are all kind of terrible ( I'll admit to not having read the last two, but I didnt hear good things).

Then you didn't hear well. Angels of Darkness especially did a lot of good work for the Dark Angels, the Imperium Secundus arc and the involved Primarchs all.

The Unremembered Empire was poor, but Pharos is one of the best in the series, especially because of the Night Lords getting their due.

What is with all these 'other legions need...'

I'll echo Parker, the original series is some of the best fiction in BL, if not the best.

I got dust in my eyes near the end and was literally pissed over how certain threads ended (it was all done well I was just emotionally drained).

If ADB has another arc in mind, you thank him for gracing us with it, and you say a prayer to Talos' lost soul.

I'd pre order a LE version, immediately.

Angels of Darkness as a Night lords novel...  Bwahahaha:laugh.:.   Like *Phoebus* said, its Angels of Caliban you guys are talking about.  Angels of Darkness is the old Dark Angels book about chaplain Boreas interrogating Merir Astelan; there are no Night Lords in this book at all.

Then you didn't hear well. Angels of Darkness especially did a lot of good work for the Dark Angels, the Imperium Secundus arc and the involved Primarchs all.

The Unremembered Empire was poor, but Pharos is one of the best in the series, especially because of the Night Lords getting their due.

? Pharos was terrible for Night Lords. They didn't get their due at all. Their first shot of action in the book has them completely fail at ambushing the ultramarines, that they grossly outnumber, in the dark. And they come off worse.

They suck in a book they have a very large advantage in.

? Pharos was terrible for Night Lords. They didn't get their due at all. Their first shot of action in the book has them completely fail at ambushing the ultramarines, that they grossly outnumber, in the dark. And they come off worse.

They suck in a book they have a very large advantage in.

This. The only good things of Pharos regarding the Night Lords were the twins and the depiction of a torn Legion.

Archived