ADB hints a new Night Lords-series?

? Pharos was terrible for Night Lords. They didn't get their due at all. Their first shot of action in the book has them completely fail at ambushing the ultramarines, that they grossly outnumber, in the dark. And they come off worse.

They suck in a book they have a very large advantage in.

Maybe that's what DarkChaplain was getting at - they got what was coming to them, i.e. being revealed as a bunch of clowns? :wink:

Obviously, if AD-B does write another series about Night Lords, it's not going to be Talos II: Electric (Patterns on Armour) Boogaloo, even if it is about Decimus, Variel, and Lucoryphus. It would have to be its own thing, introducing other characters for Decimus and co. to bounce off.

He's previously mentioned that the immediate aftermath of Void Reaver is not a story where Decimus just takes over, rebuilding the VIII Legion under his command - that whatever his goals might be, he'd face challenges from other warlords and other Legions, not to mention the Eldar and the Imperium. I would hope that whatever the story idea he has is, it's distinct enough from the first two volumes of the Black Legion series - which are largely about Abaddon pursuing his goals while facing challenges from other warlords and other Legions, not to mention the Imperium.

I fully and completely trust that it would be, of course, since no-one except Dan Brown wants to write the exact same story over and over again . . .

Personally I haven’t overly enjoyed the NL in the Heresy series. I’m looking forward to their primarch books because I’m hoping that we get an origins tale that might put some depth into Curze.

The talos trilogy is just great fiction regardless of who it’s about. I would love more stories and we could have many more, there are a good few years worth of tales. 3 books didn’t get them all....

I understand what you're getting at, but the Night Lords, at this point, are set in stone. There aren't anymore stories to tell. The Black Legion has 10K years to fill in, even if the studio tanks their fluff. I think we can ALL agree if he's going to go revisit anyone it should be Grimaldus :wink:

...Huh?

The Night Lords are anything but set in stone, honestly. You have their heresy incarnation, the ones that went full "for the dark gods", the deluded idealists, the pirates, the ones that look for new honor codes even in the GW codex...The only thing they still have in common at this point is using fear as an instrument and standing in midnight clad. Hell, about the only Legion less coherent in terms of their goals  as presented, is the Alpha Legion!

There's definitely story potential there- "Where does the Legion go from here, at the end of all things? Do we just keep following Abaddon, do we tear down the Imperium for justice, should we just give up the memory of our dead Primarch and reap fear for its own sake?"

Hell, the end of the trilogy was a good chance to explore another theme common to all the Legions- the old guard from the heresy are dying out and upstart thinbloods and chaos worshippers are rising to prominence in their place. Even in the Iron Warriors all of the old warsmiths are vanishing, replaced by the likes of Honsou and Shontou. What happens to the Night Lords when there's nothing to bind them together, not even old glories?

The legions won’t follow Abaddon, it will divide and fall to infighting, etc. We don’t need a new series for all that when ADB would never write a series about the legions coming together again and becoming homogenous and powerful actors. He’s expressed his disdain for 3.5 legion repeatedly.

I'm also keen to see more from Abaddon and the Black Legion, as well as 'Spear of the Emperor'. But, I think Ugolino is right, the Night Lords still have tales to tell that are well worth hearing:yes: 

I think I'd rather AD-B just cracks on with Black Crusade as soon as Spear of the Emperor is done.

Don't forget the HH novel, he'll most likely write.

I think I'd rather AD-B just cracks on with Black Crusade as soon as Spear of the Emperor is done.

Eternity Gate by Aaron Demski-Bowden. He does it, I'll cook him a three course meal.

Eternity Gate by Aaron Demski-Bowden. He does it, I'll cook him a three course meal.

Is that a threat or a promise??

It seems obvious to me that AD-B would handle Curze well for the Primarchs series, but the man knows his limitations - unless it comes out, say, at the tail end of the series, there isn't likely to be time for him to write it (or any other Primarch novel) if he also wants to handle another Heresy novel proper before the end.

Also, unless he does get to handle the Eternity Gate stuff, I'd rather he get the chance to write Sanguinius's entry - have there been any rumours about that yet?

Archived