DeathGuard : Chaos Lords

BlackTriton

I am in need of a model for my chaos lord.

I do have the Dark Vengence Chaos lord, but he just doesn't quite fit in. He would also be quite hard to convert into anything.

So I was thinking of converting the Plague surgeon into a chaos lord with balesword. 

Its a gorgeous model, the nartecium arm is easy to switch out, he already comes with a sword (easily pass for a chain sword or a balesword). There's a few syringes to and pack-pack modules to remove, should be an easy conversion.

What do you think of it? would it be confusing?

I do not think there is any specific lore to chaos lord, so I could even leave some of the apothecary details.

Is there anything I should be careful of adding / removing from the model?

The nartecium arm is one piece easily switched out for a bolt pistol

ZiJb91G.jpgORiFYDK.jpg

Asside from some important gap in the model I now have fixed, my biggest concern is the seringes in the front that dosent quite feel "chaos lord", but I feel it would be hard to remove without damaging the model...

Also I have no Idea what to do with the backpack. there is no spare in the Plague marine box where I savaged the Pistol arm.

Just use him without backpack. He looks great as is. :P

I agree about the seringes. They look a bit odd for a chaos lord, but removing them would require a lot of work.

I scoured the internet for lore on Chaos lords and... there is none. 

Basically there is no defining feature to a chaos lord, other than wargear.

To make it more "lordish" I figured I would have to put more work on the base, and that means Skulls, obviously.

I also added a skull to the Plague surgeon backpack. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only skulls.

GxPf8gk.jpgTbkZvms.jpgACedTwD.jpg

Yea going back as far as I can remember I think the Chaos Lord has always been identified as the strongest among them, but not differing a whole bunch from the majority. The old metal fig days had some interesting looks for us but nothing to write papa Nurgle about.

I think what you’re considering there is a great idea. But for some reason I actually think s back pack could be a defining accessory. For some reason the Death Guard line is full of examples of ‘the cooler your backpack is, the more awesome you must be’.

It’s just something I noticed right up the line in including Mortarion. So for me that might be an alchemist look, like Biologus, but you use him. It could be an experimental surgery field kit ala Fabius Bile’s backpack. Stuff like that.

So in line with that thinking I really like what you did here.

I like it and the base.

Personally I would run him with a plasma pistol, better in game and makes him standout a little more. Then for the syringes, since I play against nids a lot I might one of their skulls over them. Try to make it look like it's hanging off the string.

I love the conversion! Toss a few trophies on the backpack and there's no mistaking it for something less than a lord.

Personally I'm using the Plague Marine Champion that comes in the Dark Imperium set (the one with the hood, power fist and sword). He looks like more than just a Champion to me. Cool sword? Check. Cape? Check. Cool backpack? Check. Mysterious hood? Extra marks! Equipment loadout isn't optimal, but he essentially exists for his aura and as a counter-punch unit if something scary gets close so it's not terrible.

Alternatively I have a spare Chaos Lord from the old Dark Vengeance kit I can use. My Death Guard are in Iron Warriors colours, so more "vanilla" models don't look totally out of place side by side.

Nurglings a good idea, too bad i dont have any space left on the base :/

I started painting the dark vengence chaos lord and had to stop.

I found him horrible to paint.

It is an otherwise nice model, but way too busy with way too small details.

He looks fine in the red and bronze of the Crimson Slaughter. I dont think I've ever seen that model painted as anything but Lord Krannon that didnt look off...

He looks fine in the red and bronze of the Crimson Slaughter. I dont think I've ever seen that model painted as anything but Lord Krannon that didnt look off...

Kranon's model looks pretty good in Night Lords colours, or Black Legion.

I do agree that anything other than Crimson Slaughter (and those two I mentioned) doesn't look right.

Archived