The Judgment on Kadeth - Dr. Ruminahui's Emperor's Children

Definitely. :)

Anyway, here's what I'm working one now:

KQeiY2G.jpg

I've put some paint on the noise marines (their capes, tabards and bases) but have set them aside for now.  Instead, before focusing on them, I thought it best to get another assembled and primed model off my pile of shame - my second magnetized hellbrute.  It's coming along and I should be done sometime in the next week... at least the base model, I likely won't be done painting all of its many weapon options.

• 2 weeks later...

The Defiler has three heads/face plates to choose from, I went for the smaller and more basic skull but it would definitely work without. I'll be sure to take a picture of it without the head bit on next so you can see - it'll be a great addition to your army :thumbsup:

I almost forgot to update you:

gallery_30308_10249_7654.jpg

This also functions as proof I did paint the lenses as they're not too visible with a mask on top. As you can see here there's plenty going on without needing the mask on top if you don't want :thumbsup: So much so that I almost left it off so it'll definitely work :smile.:

Thanks, WarriorFish - that looks great!  And yeah, sometimes we modelists do these purely for the same of knowing that we did them.  :smile.:

Played my first 2 games of 9e last WE, and won both.  One was against friend # 1's orks, who my chaos are usually fairly strong against, the other was against friend # 2's necrons.  Given that I can't actually remember beating my friends necrons before (even going all the way back to 4e, though I was playing Sisters then), the second win felt like quite the accomplishment.  It helped that I was super focused on the objectives, which gave me a points lead that the necrons couldn't catch up to, even though I ended the game with only my warlord left on the table.  It also helped that my necron friend, while using the new stats and point costs of his units, didn't have any of his 9e strategems as he didn't have the codex and battle scribe doesn't give those.

Sorry, no pics - forgot first game, took some just after deployment in the second, but the lighting in my friend's basement is really bad so neither those with flash or without are any good.

Both games were 1000 points, as this was the first any of us had played of 9e and none of us had played any 40K since December 2019.  My list was a patrol with;

- dark apostle with disciples and the relic that lets you give out reroll wounds for a turn

- 2x 10 man noise marine squads, both with 7x sonic blasters, 2x blastmasters and champion with sonic blaster and combi bolter.

- 1x 10 man cultist squad with autoguns on except the one heavy stubber

- venomcrawler

- obliterators squad with 2x obliterators (I would have split these in different squads, but only get 2 heavy choices in a patrol)

- rhino with havoc launcher

Take aways:

1. emperor's children are really powerful at this point level.  Being able to pile on so many shooting buffs through strategems and the dark disciple, then double your shooting is really powerful when the unit who you are double tapping with is 20% of your points value.

2. I know that obliterators are a common target to use the "shoot again" strategem on (even if less so that you don't keep the same weapon profile for both sets of shooting), but I found I almost always wanted to shoot again with one of my noise marine squads.

3. Playing to the objectives is more important than ever.  I found myself focusing on their troops units over the stuff that would kill me in a way I rarely did in 8e, I think it paid off - I focused fine on my necron opponent's two warrior squads while I was almost wiped off the table, it was an important part of me winning the game. 

4.  I like the cap on minuses to hit - before, I tended to keep my noise marine squads still, so as not to take the minus to hit with the blastmasters, and to not shoot at his fliers, for the same reason.  My last game, I moved my noise marines a fair bit, and when I did I would fire the blastmasters at his fliers as they had a minus to hit anyway... no way would I have taken those shots with -2 to hit.

5.  Dark disciples, which I always thought of marginal value for my dark apostle but fielded because I love my speakerlites, and pretty good in 9e for things for things like taking actions, as they don't have any shooting to lose.  I found after the first 2 turns of shooting, I would hive them off to go try to grab and/or raise the banners on their own.  Yeah, that made them vulnerable to shooting, but given they are so cheap I figured who cares if they get killed, as they would be attracting fire from something else (in the necron game, after I moved them away they got killed by an exploding flier... a case of being wrong place at the wrong time more than anything else).  Not having them around did make me fail a prayer test later in the game, but by then that didn't matter so much.

6.  Still working on what secondaries are good.  Raise the banners is less good than I first thought it was, as I was lucky to get 8 cp with it in a game.  In the necron game, my other secondary was the killing vehicles one, as he had 2x 3 VP vehicles (2 doomscythese, his flier) and 2x 2 VP ones (2 annihilation barges), of which I killed all but one of the barges - also 8 VP.  So, about the same as the raise the banners, except it was for something that I wanted to do anyway.

7.  Got first turn both games, which was real nice.  In 8e, we always played the missions in the rule book, which all give first turn to the player that finishes deploying first, which was always my necron playing friend.  I may well have lost that game if I had gone second.

8.  Somewhat hillariously, my cultists started both games in my rhino, if an effort to protect them long enough for them to grab and raise the banners on an objective.  Didn't end up being necessary with me going first, but the rhino did soak up what felt like an extraordinary amount of fire (it may not actually have been - my expectations were low).  I'll have to play a game where the protection actually matters or where the mobility helps... at this point, I'm not certain it is worth the points.

9.  First game with the oblits and the venomcrawler.  The oblits were good, and I like that I can deepstrike them and use them to capture objectives, but I wasn't blown away by their shooting... perhaps, in part, because I may not have focused them on the targets they would have been impressive against.  Likewise, don't really have a feel for the venomcrawler - first game it came out of strategic reserves (I forgot to deploy it, so when I noticed that on Turn 2 we agreed to have me pay the CP and play it had been put it in reserves), shot and and eventually ate a truck.  Second game, it started on the board, shot some warriors, then was blown off the table by his fliers and some shooting from said warriors.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Nicely done, you taught the toasters who's boss at last :D In their current incarnation Warriors are good I've found, so getting rid of them helps as does seeking to wipe the unit as ever. Fortunately they're not great in combat so as an EC army you can get into punching range and usually start tipping the scales :) Objectives are well worth focusing on as usual so keeping an eye on them is normally a good way to secure victory :)

Obliterators are good though I've not used mine in 9th yet, teleporting in to shoot the right target is where they're best so that comes down to finding the right target in order to get the most from them. I think the Venomcrawler would have been isolated as the only vehicle with any combat potential to boast of, so in larger games where you can add more support/saturation it should do better. As for the Rhino transporting something other than Cultists might help with how well you feel it contributes, but when it comes to moving units around and capturing objectives they tend to work well. Again, I think numbers is key here - it'll probably feel like much more gain if you had two?

Sounds like you had fun during your games.

Don't worry about secondaries, after a few games you will get more experienced at choosing and attaining secondary objectives and understanding which secondaries your lists can more easily obtain.

Yes, I have also found Dark Disciples quite good at achieving objectives. They start out buffing their Apostle and then they go off and do their own thing, sometimes netting quite a few points over the course of the game. It's not a benefit I had ever anticipated.

Thanks, WF & TC.

Nicely done, you taught the toasters who's boss at last :biggrin.: In their current incarnation Warriors are good I've found, so getting rid of them helps as does seeking to wipe the unit as ever. Fortunately they're not great in combat so as an EC army you can get into punching range and usually start tipping the scales :smile.: Objectives are well worth focusing on as usual so keeping an eye on them is normally a good way to secure victory :smile.:

Obliterators are good though I've not used mine in 9th yet, teleporting in to shoot the right target is where they're best so that comes down to finding the right target in order to get the most from them. I think the Venomcrawler would have been isolated as the only vehicle with any combat potential to boast of, so in larger games where you can add more support/saturation it should do better. As for the Rhino transporting something other than Cultists might help with how well you feel it contributes, but when it comes to moving units around and capturing objectives they tend to work well. Again, I think numbers is key here - it'll probably feel like much more gain if you had two?

I've only gotten into combat with my pals necrons a few times, and in most of these cases my units were so diminished by the time they got there that they basically just bounced off - 2 of the most disappointing example were ther surviving 2-3 members of my melee chosen squad getting beaten by scarabs in one game, and a small group of warriors in another.  One of the reasons I don't play my melee chosen anymore.

But yeah, playing to objectives is key this edition.

The way transports work, in that when they destroyed models inside automatically die on a 1, regardless of armour saves or wounds, really benefits transporting your fragile units as a) your fragile units are more likely to die if they aren't protected by the rhino and :cool.: when the rhino does die, they are no more fragile to that destruction than one's toughest unit.  So I think its more not really having a role for it yet - at 1000 points, its pretty easy to get to most objectives on first, with the exception of those in your enemy's deployment zone, and for those objectives you are better off getting to them via deepstrike.  Maybe when we play larger games (and therefore larger board sizes), or if I start using melee more, they'll have more of a roll... and if they do, at that point I'll likely want to build and paint another one.

As for the venomcrawler, yeah I think it really does suffer from being alone.  At some point I want to try a monster mash with my helldrake, both venomcrawlers, a bunch of hellbrutes and maybe some melee chosen in a rhino.  Until then, it will have to make do as point my turn 1 fire magnet... or at least until I get the 2nd one painted.

Sounds like you had fun during your games.

Don't worry about secondaries, after a few games you will get more experienced at choosing and attaining secondary objectives and understanding which secondaries your lists can more easily obtain.

Yes, I have also found Dark Disciples quite good at achieving objectives. They start out buffing their Apostle and then they go off and do their own thing, sometimes netting quite a few points over the course of the game. It's not a benefit I had ever anticipated.

Yeah, they were pretty good.

I'm not so much worried about secondaries as trying to figure them out as to what's good and what's trash - I was thinking that posting my experience here with them would help me do that more quickly.

Yeah, I was quite surprised at the utitility of the disciples as well... last edition they were basically just a 10 point tax you paid to make your apostle more reliable.  Its nice that now they actually have a bit of role beyond that.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Finished painting a test model for my melee marines - here it is.

7E91J4h.jpg

At first I was pretty down on it, for 2 reasons:

1.  The gold is way too orange for my liking; and

2.  The purple cape blends in too much with the armor.  I was thinking of going red for high contrast (like the banner in this post: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5123026) but then it wouldn't match my other noise marines.

I'm happier with the cape, anyway, when seeing it next to my previous noise marines;

IPO1XuU.jpg

6VFgCeU.jpg

You can see the gold colour I'm going for on those other 2 models.

So, I think for the next test model I will make the following changes:

1.  Do the cape in pink horror with the same wash I gave all 3 of the capes above (florescent purple - the same purple that forms part of my armour recipe) - the other two squads' capes are done in Fulgrim Pink and Emperor's Children (which is also pink).

2.  Work on my glad recipe.  I think part of the problem is the wash I use, Reiklander Fleshade, as at the bottom of the pot and I've noticed it being a lot redder than it was when I started the pot.  So, I'll buy myself a new pot of that.  I would also like to find a base colour that is closer to Golden Griphon - Golden Griphon is only a dry brush paint, and I find it a pain in the ass to use on regular size models.  I'm using a non GW paint now as my base, but it is much richer than my ideal... I may have to try mixing it with tan or pale yellow to tone it down some.  Still, I'll try the new wash first, as that may be good enough.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting - my anxiety has been particularly bothersome these last couple of weeks.

I think the cape's are far too dark personally. I would move towards more white, but slightly tinted pink or icey blue white with the MoS in black to make it pop. The grey furs and skulls are spot on though.

I agree, a brighter cloak would contrast more plus bright is always reliable to look Slaaneshi :tongue.:

Thanks for the feedback.  At least for now, I'm going for a slightly darker pink (I think its called pink horror) to better match the other two.  I understand why you both recommend white (or at least a lighter colour) but given that I use the cape colours to tell my squads appart, I'm not sure if that would work.  That said, I do intend to try some white capes on an upcoming character model, and we'll see how that looks - even if I keep the backs of the capes pink to squad identification, I could possibly do the insides of the capes white.

And thanks for the compliments on the fur and skulls, MegaVolt.

I haven't worked anymore on my melee squad, other than buying a whole bunch of gold paints and trying them out. Think I found one that is pretty close to what I want (though still too yellow) and just need to figure out whether I want to wash it in Reiklander Fleshade as I have been doing, or try Seraphim Sepia.  I'll keep you posted on whatever I do.

That isn't to say I haven't been hobbying.  I painted up a little fuel tank to use as killteam terrain (posted here:  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/350264-show-your-finished-kill-team-terrain/?p=5736423).

I've also gotten a game in, against my regular necron opponent, in which I was wiped out in 3 turns.  I have some photos which I will try to post this weekend.

I also got a box of Drukari Scourges (to use their wings) and Slaangor Fiendbloods - the latter I am using to kibash with my greater possesseds (with some spawn bits) to make either possesseds or spawn.  I should be able to show those off shortly.

After I bought the Slaangor's I noticed that they have a very slaaneshi axe, so I kit bashed myself a master executioner.  Here's some pics:

9oVmn3f.jpg

jgPoi8q.jpg

412BpeT.jpg

Really happy with him, I think its my best character kitbash yet.  Uses bits from a lot of different kits:

- head is from a greater possessed I disected for my slaangor kitbash described above

- torso and right arm are from the Dark Vengence dark angels librarian, with the dark angels symbol removed from the tabard.

- left arm is the noise marine power sword arm from the resin noise marine upgrade sprues., with the power sword removed.

- axe is from the slaangors, as discussed.

- cape is from the chaos warriors kit

- legs are from the Shadowspear heavy weapon guy.

- the skull hanging from his belt (by his axe hand) is from the citadel skulls kit

-right shoulder pad and the backpack are from the new chaos space marines kit.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Some more conversions done - I was doing these at the same time as my Executioner, which is why they were finished so quickly.  Indeed, it was when I successfully seperated the executioner's head from its source greater possessed that prompted me to start him.

Basically, what I was doing was kitbashing a box of Age of Sigmar Slaangors (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Hedonites-Of-Slaanesh-Slaangor-Fiendbloods-2020) with the 2 greater possesseds in order to make all of them look more like spawn.

Here's all 5 together:PG8VRaK.jpg

This guy is one of the greater possessed with his right appendages replaced with slaango's and his left arm from the spawn kit.  Would have replaced the head too but it looked like too much bother the remove:

630CFxu.jpg

This is the second greater possessed (and the source of the master executioner's head) with its head and 3 of its appendages replaced with slaangor's:

8yobMtE.jpg

Then there are the 3 slangors with various appendages (and one's head) replaced with those taken from the greater possesseds or the spawn kit.

nf0eSbu.jpg

06bAi2b.jpg

eIibNwM.jpg

Finally, I replaced the old metal gargoyle wings on my hammer lord with feathered scourge wings :

P3fmzQL.jpg

I think he looks much better for the swap - here's what he looked like before: 

A8caR5X.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on my melee noise marines again - found a gold that I can live with and a cloak colour I really like.  It's darker, rather than lighter, but the florescent purple wash I did on it really makes it pop.

8NG6sP6.jpg

q9KyRDs.jpg

Only part I think I might redo is the slaneshi symbol on the back - giving it the same wash as the rest of the cloak just kind of muddies it.  I think I do want to give it some shading, but not quite sure what I should use.

Pink Wash would look nice. Alternately, I sometimes wash white with Sepia or with a Burnt Sienna oil paint. Maybe a light coat that was retouched with white would work on the symbols. That color would also match the skulls on the cloak.

Although I agree with WF that the symbols look fine as is.

some nice work there! with regards to the winged fellow the new wings are much better however the hammer head dosent quite go with the rest of the model, id suggest a more halberdy weapon or a bigger head on a shorter shaft?

must say i definately prefer your brighter scheme than the black and pink on ec marines, much more fitting imho

I think the symbols look fine, it wouldn't stay clean in battle long after all :tongue.: I'm not sure about washes on white I don't think it works that well but if you do want one, maybe a thinned pink wash to sit more in the recesses and match the cloak colour?

Pink Wash would look nice. Alternately, I sometimes wash white with Sepia or with a Burnt Sienna oil paint. Maybe a light coat that was retouched with white would work on the symbols. That color would also match the skulls on the cloak.

Although I agree with WF that the symbols look fine as is.

It's one of those rare cases where the picture is better than the model. :smile.:  That said, thanks for the suggestions WF and TC for if I do choose to treat the white differently - not sure yet, as with time I've become less picky about it.

Finished a 3rd figure, who turned out nicely.  Just 9 more to go. :smile.:  I'll post it when I have a few more painted.

some nice work there! with regards to the winged fellow the new wings are much better however the hammer head dosent quite go with the rest of the model, id suggest a more halberdy weapon or a bigger head on a shorter shaft?

must say i definately prefer your brighter scheme than the black and pink on ec marines, much more fitting imho

Thanks.  Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to do with the hammer yet - I'm wary of putting a bigger head on it as I do want it to look different and less "brute force" than other marine thunder hammers as they are emperor's children - plus, the only other head I currently have isn't that much bigger.  I'm also reluctant to shorter the haft until I've finalized the other changes, as its always easier to trim something than extend it if I trim it too much.  I have plenty of stuff in the meantime and don't have a dire need for a smash captain in my list just yet, so I have plenty of time to decide.  Plus, it looks better in person than in the photo.

Thanks for the halberd suggestion - I have a left over sword from the Slangors kit that might work, but I'll have to check.

Ultimately, I may need to swap out the shaft for something slimmer.

And I'm glad you like the paint scheme - I actually chose my colours before I chose my faction, and ended up with Emperor's Children (in heresy colours) as the only other official GW purple and gold heretic marines are the soul drinkers - and those guys are a bunch of idiots (they thought their chapter master growing spider legs was a sign the emperor loved them) so I don't want an army of them.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui