The Judgment on Kadeth - Dr. Ruminahui's Emperor's Children

Thanks, WF.  Next I think I'll do some terrain tiles for a friend that I've had sitting around for a couple years now - need to pick up some spray paint first, though, as just didn't quite have enough.

Glad to sell you on another daemon engine, and I look forward to your future skyshrimp.  I myself have wanted to do a defiler for a while, but have been held back by not liking the helmeted head (though the optics cluster of the "naked head' might work) and the fact it doesn't come on a base - not a big fan of models whose footprint on the table can be changed during the game, as I'm overly conscious of unintended rules conflicts and violations.  Still, seeing your work does encourage me to maybe set aside those reservations.  Probably to a maulerfiend first, though.

The Defiler has three heads/face plates to choose from, I went for the smaller and more basic skull but it would definitely work without. I'll be sure to take a picture of it without the head bit on next so you can see - it'll be a great addition to your army :thumbsup: I reckon a larger oval base sideways (as on some chariots) should work for it if you're set on giving it a base, and would also help with posing/weight balance.

I still wonder/hope that it might get a new kit one day (surely a dual kit with the Soulgrinder is possible also?), but I can't see that happening any time soon. A Maulerfiend would be a good way to spend your time while you think about it :wink: I enjoyed mine and it started me down the path of Daemon Engines, it was a lot of fun and it'll look great in your colours :smile.:

Thanks TC.  Don't think I'll mess around with this model any further, but if I ever paint another one I likely will.

WF, a pic of the defiler without the helmet would be much appreciated.  And yeah, I would likely put it on a titan base or one of the large round ones from age of sigmar - I think a chariot base would be too small.  As for the maulerfiend, I quite enjoyed the forgefiend I did, so I expect the same for its melee friend.  Did you magnetize yours at all, or just glued on the tentacles?

Once I do those 2 models, I think I'll have 1 of every non-FW daemon engine except the character model (can't remember what it is called), which can keep my 5 hellbrutes and 2 obliterators company. :)  Given how "fleshy" the hellbrutes are, I really wish they were daemon engines and had an invulnerable save as well.

The tentacles and cutters are magnetised yes :smile.: Or rather the cutters are, the tentacles have tabs on (different shape for each side) which is along with the paint plenty to keep them secure. I'm not sure if I photographed it much as it's pretty straight forward as you glue a magnet inside the model, and countersink one into the cutter and job done :biggrin.:

Helbrutes would like some form of improvement, being daemonic for a 5++ would be one way (though with downsides also). I'm not sure how likely this is as the Chaos Contemptor is no longer daemonic but rather a normal Contemptor, which I was a little sad about as it was fun being different and I like my daemon bits.

• 2 weeks later...

nice to see some updates since my last visit :)

that helldrake sure looks nice, i can imagine building and gluing the wings gets pretty tricky,

especially when you have to have it afloat in the air and stick it together.

Nice work looks interesting :)

I still havent started my slaanesh army yet, i ordered an airbrush but there was some technical issues.

just gonna finish my covens list of 2000pts, but what I was going to say is,

im soooo excited for starting to play/model chaos :) :) your miniatures are an inspiration.

i do have some models, maybe gonna upload a picture of my slaaneshii landraider, who knows ^^

anyway, glad to see youre doing well with your army :)

The helldrake wasn't actually that difficult to assemble - except for the hands, which if not put on exactly right, can get in the way of assembling the rest of the wing.  If I paint another, I will paint the hands seperately and only glue them on after I have assembled the rest of the wings.

Glad my models can inspire - I know that Warrior Fish and I have a thing going where every time he paints something it inspires me to tackle my unpainted models.  I look forward to seeing your army progress as well - and yes, please share pics of your landraider.

I actually finished this a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't quitre certain about it, so haven't posted it until now - anyway, I did all the highlights around the trim on my hell drake.

Pvwdf6J.jpg

I'm happy with the highlights themselves, it just makes the model as a whole a fair bit brighter - it washes out the purple of the body somewhat, making it look lighter - which I'm not sure I like.  Still, not annoying enough to redo, but I don't know if I will highlight my next hell drake (if there is one) this way.

I've been painting some terrain tiles for a friend, but got tired of them, so was lookiong for another project.  Didn't feel like painting just now, so decided to build a new unit.

For which I bought the following today:

LaIPW1Z.jpg

Anyone who has been following this thread for a while should know what that particular combo of boxes means... :)

Must have taken a while :tongue.: It helps the trim pop, hopefully the effort is matched by results on the table top :laugh.: Looking forward to seeing the new models :thumbsup: I particularly enjoyed doing the Venomcrawler and Oblits :smile.:

It did take a while, but it wasn't too bad - I was playing late game Crusader Kings 3 at the time, which seriously chugs on my machine (especially whenever opening a window of the people in my court, of which there were rough 1000+) at the time, and would paint a bit of highlights every time the game lagged.

I already have all the Shadowspear chaos models, and have painted a venomcrawler and oblits already (see them here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5453795 ) - indeed, I seem to recall that it was my painting my venomcrawler that encouraged you to paint one for yourself. :tongue.: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5433716 . And I agree, they are nice models to paint - I imagine the second set should also be fun.

Yay! More Noise Marines!

Right in one! :smile.:

So, I've decided to no longer wait for a dedicated codex and have decided to do a unit of melee noise marines.  After all, I need something appropriate to put in my newly painted rhino and landraider. :smile.:  I figured I would make a unit of 10 out of the melee shadowspear guys... I already had 5 from my previous purchase, but would need 5 more hence the newly purcahased Let's Start Collecting.

I've decided to convert, repose and/or kitbash every model in this latest box, though that may not happen for the bolter marines, as I have no immediate plans for those.  We'll have to see if that resolve sticks when I get to the venomcrawler - I fear that reposing that model may be beyond my capabilities.

First conversion was pretty easy - giving a chaincannon to the autocannon guy, the rotary barrels nabbed from one of the oblits.

TRmZIv9.jpg

It was a straight swap - the autocannon barrels (minus the close combat attachment) went onto the obliterator.

zrhipRi.jpg

For the oblits, I thought they needed a little something to distinguish them from my first set, so I swapped the arms between them.  I also replaced their faces with helmetless ones - from the mutli-option hellbrute kit for the plasma oblit, and the dark vengeance hellbrute for the autocannon oblit (the last was a bugger to get into place and I ended up gluing it on looking down, so you really can't see it without lifting the model).  I'm glad I did - I find with hellbrutes and oblits, reorienting their tiny head goes a long way to reorienting the direction of the model and as result has a surprisingly large role in making any such conversion look different from the original.  Here they are - they are almost done, just need a little more greenstuffing and cabling for their right arms.

1lcPWTk.jpg

CTEkvmR.jpg

And here is a picture with my painted ones to show the difference:

J2jexPW.jpg

Finally, I've been working on the first 5 melee noise marines - these guys had been assembled stock when I first bought them, then I disected them by cutting off their arms and the rear of their torsos.  The rear torsos were then replaced with those of the fantasy chaos warriors, trimmed appropriately to accomodate the large shoulder pads.  One thing to note is that this method keeps the original CSM legs and torsos, allowing for the retention of more detail and more dynamic posings.  I'll post a how to when I do up the second group of 5 using unassembled models.

pYbg9SD.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks, Marshal!

So, this past week I've done some more building:

First, I did replaced the cabling on my oblits that didn't connect any longer (due to the reposing) with my own, using copper wiring left over from our basement reno.  Its not quite as flexible as I would like, so its a bit longer than the existing cabling.MboVANz.jpg

Next, I finished building my 12 melee noise marines - still have to do the greenstuffing, though.  Here they are - the work to be done is much more obvious from the back.

wEIQcVe.jpg

Lastly, I built a jump lord with thunderhammer, using the master of possession model.  I'm thinking of shortening the hammer some - I'm not certain whether the long shaft is appropriately ridiculous or just ridiculous.  Thoughts?

A8caR5X.jpg

OncxOTr.jpg

The head crest is from the head on the chaos fanatasy lord on steed of slanesh (that head is too small) moutned on the fantasy warriors head that has 2 sets of horns, of which I've removed the larger set.  The wings are from the old school metal gargoyle models, as they are the only thing I've got to represent the jump pack except some old metal raptors jump packs, which I want to save for my raptors.  The hands holding the hammer were the hardest, and are a hodge podge of bits from the fantasy warriors, the chaos bikers and both the new and old plastic CSM sets - the difficult part was figuring what parts would work and then how to glue them all together to get them to look natural... I'm pretty happy with the result.  He's also more dynamic looking than he is in these photos... wierd.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks, WF and TC- you've given me a lot to think about, which is why its taken a while to get back to you.

I do have a larger, more rectangular and traditional looking hammer head, but wanted to go with the more "warhammer" type head as I felt it was more slaneshi than a big metal rectangle.  I then gave it a longer shaft to make up for the smaller head, wanting to go for more of a mallet (as in polo or crocket) type feel.  That doesn't seem to have worked.

Anyway, I've put the model aside for a bit, to muddle out what changes I'll make to it - I'm not entirely happy with the wings either.  When I do, I'll roughly blue tack up some fo the options for you guys' feedback.  Do love the head, though, and think I will do the same thing when I put together my lord on a steed of slanesh.

That isn't to say I haven't been modelling, though... I've completed the greenstuff work on 9 out of my 12 melee noise marines, and now just have the 3 that need the most work left.  I'll show you that when I've finished the squad.

I've also done an alternate build on the Venomcrawler that I am pretty happy with - no new parts, but they are assembled in such a way to give a fairly different look.  I wanted to make it look like a spider about to pounce and I think I was pretty successful in achieving that.

CSPbq9T.jpg

xBWRRH4.jpg

7k8ozpS.jpg

I have since greenstuffed a tip onto the right claw (which doesn't have one, as in the original model it is being used as a leg such that the tip is "dug into" the ground.  Its also not currently glued to the base, which is why the feet are in different places in different pics, and why in the last pic one of them isn't touching the ground.

Given that the body and head are all one piece and I didn't feel it was worth the effort to saw it appart and greenstuff in back together, the only way to raise the front was to lower the back - which has resulted in the model being much shorter than the original.  Here are the two tether:

SfmtKeB.jpg

Anyway, I kind of feel guilty as I have unintentionally modelled for advantage.  Not that I play in any tourney's and I guess I can just tell my gaming buddies to imagine it is 2 inches taller when trying to draw LOS to it.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thanks for the feedback - I'm glad you liked it.  I did remarkably little cutting to do the reposing - basically, all I did was cut off the bits of terrain from the rear legs, cut the pegs off of the hips that force you into the default pose, did the same for the roots of the tenticles, and then trimmed off some the cabling that didn't match up now that the legs were reposed.  So it was more of a fiddly model than a difficult one, as you had to work out where all the legs were to be before you could glue any of them.

Finished the greenstuffing work on my melee noise marines:

Here is the aspiring champion with twin lightning claws, which are from a dark vengence mini.  He looks suitably imposing.

JWaHjoK.jpg

Here is the back, which I am particularly proud off.  The chaos warrior back has a chaos star on it, which I had to cut way 1/4 of in order to made the shoulder pads work - I use this piece for the backs of all my noise marine champions.  In past models, I tried to rebuild the missing star with greenstuff, wihtout the best results.  This time I instead cut it out of plasticard, which gives me both the detail and the nice crisp edges I was looking for.

SQNG4fK.jpg

Here's the standard bearer.  I had orginally built him using the same model as the champion and he looked much more impressive.  However, I decided to save that model for the champion of any future noise marine squad I build. 

42nHdHx.jpg

Here are the other 10 - I decided to do a 12 marine squad, as that's what all my noise marine squads are, though I don't see using all 12 in 9th edition.

A2Mn2SD.jpg

YN7QEPY.jpg

sYjOqzW.jpg

The front shots don't give the full effect of the capes, so here is one of the back, and then one from the front-top to give a better view of my work.

0FI51Ie.jpg

pEqmCM6.jpg

Tomorrow I intend to prime them, my oblits and the venomcrawler.

Thanks, Trawling Crawler, Tallarn Commander (I was about to call you both "TC" for short, but then realised that could be a bit confusing. :) ),  and Shovellovin, I'm glad you like them. :)  I'm  looking forward to painting them.  And yeah, the champion looks imposing... I would imagine that he wouldn't be considered merely "aspiring" for long. :)

Looking forward to seeing you put some stars on some of your models, Tallarn Commander.  My recommendation would be to start with those you want to cover up some detail of (like the genestealer cultist symbols on my cultists) and then expand from there.

Dr. R, you still have the best looking noise marines out there this side of the Great Rift. I told a coworker of mine who plays about them, and he joked about putting so much time into converting a troop model that GW might redo soon anyways. Then I showed him yours, and his tune quickly changed to he doesn't think GW can even make noise marines as nice as yours if they wanted to haha. So keep up the good work!

Thanks, Putrid Choir and his/her anonymous cowrker!  That's high praise.  Personally, I've seen pictures of noise marines that I like better than mine, but none within my skill level (both in terms of modelling and painting) - basically, they were heavily sculpted and/or scratch built.  For what I am capable of doing, I am very happy with them.

Yeah, if I were to wait for official noise marine models, I would still only be fielding cultists for troops.  And actually, I find I like converting troop squads, as it means I get to show the models I'm most proud of (even if its friends who have seen them plenty before) in practically every game.

And I'm actually not apprehensive of new models coming out - unless they have drastically different unit options than the current ones do.  If they don't, either they aren't as good as mine, in which case I don't buy the new ones, or if they look better I get to buy and paint a wicked looking unit.  Only problem is if their weapon options change, in which case I would need to decide whether to convert some of my models to the new options, or make some new models to represent them.  Worst case is if my current models become illegal in some way under out new rules, but given GW's attempts in the last edition or so to not invalidate its old models, I'm likely okay (though, I could see it happening to my noise marine aspiring champions with sonic blaster, storm bolter and doom siren - as they are more than a little ridiculous with 2 two-handed weapons and another besides).