The Judgment on Kadeth - Dr. Ruminahui's Emperor's Children

It's one of those rare cases where the picture is better than the model. :smile.:

So rare as to not exist for me :laugh.: I think you're right to sit on it and come back to it - never a bad idea generally and it'll give you the bigger picture as well as time to see how you feel :tu: Keep us updated on your progress!

• 1 month later...

Just finished the first half of my melee noise marines squad - at least I can now field them as a unit of 6.

Here they are:

u8sl5Ir.jpg

And from behind:

eRzXkK4.jpg

The aspiring champion:

cRWT0zf.jpg

And each of the 5 other guys:

KPF5ESK.jpg

MIwJkbr.jpg

cwPCgAu.jpg

3LmEXQ1.jpg

ljZsutS.jpg

I'm really happy with them, especially the aspiring champion. My onoy complaint is that I essentially built the same model twice, in that both the "sword in the air" guys have the same post and the same base body, and I had tried to avoid duplicate poses.

Thanks, Marshall.  Yeah, I too really like the bulk the cloaks give the models - its one of the reasons I first tried the conversion way back in 3rd ed. (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5067816) and why I've done it for my noise marines ever since.  This is the first time I've done it keeping all of the chaos marine model except the back of the torso, and I'm really happy how its turned out (before I kept the front and upper legs from fantasy warriors - those can be seen at the bottom of the post linked above) - given that these don't have guns covering most of the front of the models, having all the standard chaos marine details on the front really helps make the models.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished painting my first converted obliterator:

fnXdKQa.jpg

And here is a picture with the two unconverted obliterators I painted ealier - you can see it has the body of the one on the right but the arms of the one on the left and a different head from either (a spare head from the helbrute kit).

l3cDktE.jpg

Thanks Warrior Fish - glad you like the conversion.  And yeah, my favorite type of conversions are those that could easily be the original model... I find particularly (especially for very "flat" models like the hellbrute and obliterators) that changing the direction the model is focusing really helps.  

And yeah, my sculpting work is still not that great, so if I can get a different look without doing too much of it, all the better. :smile.:

Verbal Underbelly, not sure when I'll be taking a new army photo, but here is my most recent ones, taken a bit over a year ago: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5581309 .  Since then, I've painted 1 obliterator, 6 melee noise marines, 1 proteus landraider, 1 rhino/predator, 1 hellbrute and 1 helldrake... which  doesn't feel like very much for a year's worth of work, given that this is the only army I've worked on in the past year. :sweat:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tallarn Commander! :)

I've been working some more on my melee noise marines and have finished one more model - just 2 more until I have a unit of 9 done, which will be just right to put them in a rhino with a sorceror giving them prescience and delightful agonies.

Anyway, buitl a 1500 point melee list that I've posted here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/372481-1500-points-melee-emperors-children/?p=5768086 - it be nice if you guys could give it a look and help me with some brainstorming.  I hoping all the vehicles will give my friend's necrons a harder time - with my usual infantry heavy lists he usually tables me by turn 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Painted another melee noise marine - just 1 more and I have the 9 needed for my new list (I'll post pics once I have the 3rd done).  I also removed the backpack from my staff sorcerer and from my old dark apostle - I had given the apostle (the mace guy from dark vengeance) the combi-melta backpack from the axe guy from dark vengeance before I realises that dark apostle's can't take them.  So it and the dark apostle are sitting in pine sol to take the paint off (its an older paint job, and I know i can do better if I do it again.

Last weekend I got a box of bitz that I bought from someone who was getting out of chaos, and I built from it the following claw lord (all of the bitz used are new except the legs and the front of the torso, which are from the new CSM box.

u5lJlTv.jpg

en8f0lf.jpg

I wanted to make him have a kung fu type pose, but don't think I've pulled it off - might be beacuse itts hard to do so with his huge clown hands.

LOL - yeah, I wasn't aiming for him to be that kung fu - more to capture a "ready to fight" pose made before the fists (and feet) start flying. :smile.:  And I'm glad you like the pose.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 weeks later...

Recieved a Maulerfiend from my wife for Christmas - a little birdie (well, me) told her exactly what I was wanting for my army. :)

Assembled it in a slightly more dynamic pose than the original - here are some pictures.

9p6vmGm.jpg

I tilted the right arm so that hand was directly under the shoulder, giving the maulerfiend a slightly more upright pose.  I then lowered the left arm for it to be interacting with the broken collumn (which is an extra I had from building my killteam terrain).  This required the removal, rebuilding and reattachment of the shoulder hydraulics - you can see in the armpit in this picture.  Very fiddly and the most difficult part of the reposing - but I'm glad I did it.

8Na5i69.jpg

And the left side - you can see a bit of the hydraulic in the armpit I rebuilt.

vOWNrtW.jpg

And from the front.

The tentacles are magnetised, so that they can be swapped with the little welding arms.  Not as happy how those work, as there really wasn't a way to pose them that looked good with my repositioned fiend.  Anyway, here's how they look on the right - the left is pretty much the same.

Cy6hgac.jpg

The head of the maulerfiend has always been my least favourite part of the model, and orginally I was going to cut it up and repose it with the mouth open.  However, I don't mind it with the model's new pose - to me, it now looks like it is tasting the air like a snake to sniff out its prey.  That said, if I ever do a 2nd mauler, I'll definite try the head rebuild I had in mind.

Great work, the Maulerfiend is a nice model but rather distinct in pose so modifications are definitely best if you get a second. I think you've made nice and subtle changes so they work well :thumbsup: I've thought about a second often as one can be rather hit or miss sometimes, but then I think maybe it should be a Forgefiend instead.

There's a fair bit to paint especially with the trim so it'll keep you busy for a while, but always worth it as it'll look great when done :smile.:

Nice work on the Maulerfiend! I especially like the subtle conversion on the left front paw and the column.

As WF notes, 2 Daemon engines are a "force multiplier." In 2,000 point games I will almost always pair up my Maulerfiend up with another daemon engine. Usually my Mary the Maulerfiend is partnered with a Defiler but sometimes she is with a Blood Slaughterer. One usually gets blown off the table on Turn 1, but the other Daemon engine often survives long enough to have a substantial impact on the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you guys like the Maulerfiend repose.

And I totally understand that with things like a Maulerfiend, that there is real value in having mutliples.  I only have the one maulerfiend so far, but it will likely be going into a list with a venomcrawler, a helldrake, 3 hellbrutes and a rhino (it would mean taking out my 3 obliterators), which should hopefully give me enough redundancy against anti-tank that I want be wiped off the table before I get into melee.

Put some paint on it - primed it retributor, gave the armour (I was aiming for the trim, but its hard to limit where you drybrush it to) a drybrush of griffon gold and have painted one arm ungor flesh.  I'll be doing the rest of the flesh, then doing the armour as soon as I mix up another batch of the recipe I use for my purple.

pK3tL5K.jpg

Also finished 3 more melee noise marines - have been done 2 of the them for a while, but the last one (the banner guy) took forever, in a large part due to a reduced urge to paint and playing a lot of Crusader Kings III.  

M90TpoL.jpg

Here they are with the rest of the unit.  That leaves 3 more, but those will likely wait for a while as I now have enough to put in a rhino with a character, which is how I'm likely to be using them for now.  Plus, I think I don't have enough of the new version chainswords for another unit of 12, so I'm likely to put these guys in the second unit and build 3 more with the old plastic chaos marine chainswords to replace them, to get a more even distribution between the 2 untis.

wFtcRB1.jpg

KQS4mfv.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 weeks later...

I took a day off work this week when I learned that my best friend had just died unexpectedly, which I used to got some painting done.

Last month I had removed the combimelta backpack from the Dark Vengeance axe guy that I had glued onto the DV maul guy, who I had intended to use as a dark appostle assuming that he would have access to the wargear list like everyone else (much to my surprise, he didn't).  Anyway, after stripping it of paint, I reprimed it and attached it to my staff sorcerer, who I intend to run with a combimelta in my next list.  Anyway, finally finished painting it:

GsFUS52.jpg

You can see his old backpack next to his base - eventually it will go onto some other model, as overall I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and only removed it to allow me to use the one that let me give the model a combimelta.

After I took the picture, I realised I hadn't put any scorching on the combimelta - normally I do on my meltas.  I may well go back and do so... not sure.

[Edit] That picture is even blurier than I thought - I'll try to get a better one.

I've also slapped some more paint on my maulerfiend:

5SkfRbR.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys - its been a rough month, so not much posting from me.  His mom is bringing back the (space marine) minis I painted for him, so I'll likely post a "in memory" thread over there, but I'll be sure to put a link here.  I will be painting some minis in his memory, as there were some D&D characters as dogs that he got through a kickstarter (I think they are these guys: https://www.gameinformer.com/gamer-culture/2018/07/19/kickstarter-that-makes-cute-dog-miniatures-for-your-dd-games-blows-past) and wanted painting, so I'll be painting those and will give one to his mom and one to his dad, but I don't have any plans regarding anything 40K.

I'm glad you like the purple, Slave to Darkness.  There is rather a lot of it in my army. :)

I've been slowly working away at my maulerfiend - I've finished the bulk of the armour and trim, and am now doing clean up on those.  I should get it done next month, I think, depending on how much time I spend playing video games.