The Judgment on Kadeth - Dr. Ruminahui's Emperor's Children

The Noise Marines are looking great!

To make the symbols on the cloaks more visible, would it be worth it to paint a thin line in black around each symbol?

Just realized I missed commenting on this one - sorry.

That certainly would make them more visible, but I'm kind of torn.  First, the slanneshi symbol is hard to get right, so many of them look kind of "off".  Second, I like the subtle look - I just wish it wasn't quite as subtle.  My fluff is that is that my army is kind of sliding into slannesh worship, so the subtleness of the cloak symbols fits that story.

So, I think I'll leave them as is, and just grumble about them. :)

Mixing the kits has yielded some nice poses and parts in those Daemonettes, I must admit I was quite disappointed with the stock kit.

Thanks!  The stock kit is fine, just rather static.  Personally, I find the witches a little too jumpy, so I think mixing the two gives the right balance of motion to the unit as a whole.

Great work on the Noise Marines :thumbsup:

And it’s good to see you kitbashing daemonettes and witches. Such more variety in poses! Plus the whips and daggers are very fitting! You didn’t use any of the Sisters of Slaughter masks though? Keeping them for something else? Cultists?

Thanks!  Glad you like them.

I remember you doing something very similar with yours - don't know if I came up with the idea on my own, was inspired by yours, or both. :)  

And I agree, it does make for much more variety - and the weapons (particularly the whips) work very well.

No, I didn't use any masks - for this unit, I'm imagining them as appearing constantly in flux between looking like daemonettes and as beautiful women, and the masks don't really fit into that for me.  Like you, I may at some point do a second squad where all of the models have masks - if I do, I will likely cut of the daemonettes' heads' faces and replace those with masks as well.

Now, just need to figure out how to paint them.  I'm thinking of doing them in an assortment of skin tones with pink clothes - hopefully the pink will unify the look of the unit despite the bulk of the models being different hues of flesh and brown from each other.

Adding daemonette hair (topknots, etc. or leftover witch hair) to the masked heads might be (considerably) easier than removing the mask and adding it to a darmonette head. I did it once for a herald and wouldn’t want to do it for a unit.

Thanks for the warning.  I'm not a huge fan of the masked faces, so I'm more likely just to not use them.  I'll try it out when I do a msaque of slaneesh conversion, and see how much effort it is.

If its not a huge pain, I likely will try a unit with masks - its not like I haven't done fairly involved conversions for decent sized troop squads before, such as my noise marines I posted earlier.

Dang oh dang! The noise marines look fantastic!

Excited to see the daemonettes compliment them!

Thanks for the compliments and the enthusiasm - hopefully my daemonettes live up to whatever image you have of them in your head., :smile.:

Dr_Ruminahui, these look amazing. How hard was the kitbashing? It looks pretty damn smooth.

Thank you!  I'm glad you like them.

They weren't too difficult - basically, the hardest part for me was to remember which bitz of the witches went with each body as they, like most recent kits such as the recent necromunda minis, have bits that don`t swap well between bodies.

Once you figure out what parts fit on which witch body, decide which parts you want to swap onto a daemonette.  For the arms you want to swap, you need to cut off the top of the witch arm and glue to the witch body, as they don`t have a smooth join, and you need to make one to glue the daemonette arm to.

The other tricky part was swapping heads - the deamonette heads have necks on the head, while the witches have necks on their bodies, meaning you need to trim the necks to fit the daemonette heads onto witch bodies, and use greenstuff to build necks to join the witch heads with daemonette bodies.  I took me a while to get the latter right - some of my first attempts kind of have a "no neck`` look - I may redo them if I find it too obvious when I'm painting them.

Incidentally, those necks were the only greenstuffing I needed to do.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thank you!  I'm glad you like them.

They weren't too difficult - basically, the hardest part for me was to remember which bitz of the witches went with each body as they, like most recent kits such as the recent necromunda minis, have bits that don`t swap well between bodies.

Once you figure out what parts fit on which witch body, decide which parts you want to swap onto a daemonette.  For the arms you want to swap, you need to cut off the top of the witch arm and glue to the witch body, as they don`t have a smooth join, and you need to make one to glue the daemonette arm to.

The other tricky part was swapping heads - the deamonette heads have necks on the head, while the witches have necks on their bodies, meaning you need to trim the necks to fit the daemonette heads onto witch bodies, and use greenstuff to build necks to join the witch heads with daemonette bodies.  I took me a while to get the latter right - some of my first attempts kind of have a "no neck`` look - I may redo them if I find it too obvious when I'm painting them.

Incidentally, those necks were the only greenstuffing I needed to do.

Well, I ran out of likes already tonight, but thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad they're pretty straight forward. I'm gonna have to do these myself and sprinkle in the few Diaz daemonettes I've reacquired. 

That pink is very vibrant, interesting seeing a more human skin colour.

I'm not a fan of the white daemonettes scheme used by the GW studio, plus I know how much of a pain all that white would be to get to look right.  And given my fluff that, at least originally, the daemonettes accompanying my warband are actually women possessed by demons, I thought a more natural palette for skin tones would be appropriate.

I was going to do their hair more natural colours too, but decided that wouldn't make them look daemonic enough, so I went with bright pink and purple.

The black skin looks better with the hot pink than the tan does.

Not that Slaanesh cares about good colour coordination.

There is less of a difference between the tan and dark in person, but yeah, the dark does look nice.  I may end up doing an entire unit with the dark skin at some point.

In the remaining 8 daemonettes in this unit, there are 4 who have dark brown skin, and those are turning out nicely as well.  I'll post them when I finish the unit.

Looking good! I love something about the dark skin tone! Especially with their green eyes!

Speaking of which, great job painting those eyes!

Indeed, the colours work really well on them and the eyes are suspiciously good. Helps give them the air that Daemonettes should have :tongue.: Nicely done :thumbsup:

Thanks to both of you - I'm glad you like them.  Luckily, this past week end my hand was pretty unshakey, as otherwise I would have needed to redo or repair more eyes than I already did.

I started doing my eyes as a dot (as shows up in the photo above) and feel they come out a little to human looking, so later models I did the pupils as a line.   None of the later ones really show in the picture, though, so I'll make sure to get a picture of them when I finish the unit - if one or the other is preferred, I may go back and redo the others.

Yeah, your painting is top notch. And doing eyes always worries me. I can't even paint a marines helmet lenses without getting paint everywhere.

I almost want to say try something like black eyes with a bright green purple pupil to make them less human. However, I like the idea that they do look human (or at least mortal) and their glance just draws you in, entranced, while they close in and disembowel you.

Thanks, hushrong.  And yes, eyes can be tough - I've found that I get the best results if I rest both the figure and my hand on the table (minimizes hand quivering) and to to the eye from the side that eye is on (so, rather than keep the model in place after doing the first eye and trying to do the second across the nose, flipping the model around).

Here are the 8 remaining daemonettes I had to do, which completes my 3rd ETL vow.

D3DwLhP.jpg

And here is the completed unit of 20:

rm0SNEc.jpg

I think I may go around the outside the the slaneshi symbol on the flag in light pink to help it stand out more.

I did the eyes of these ones as lines across the eye rather than as dots - here are the 2 techniques side by side - doesn't really make a difference (the dot pupil si on the left, the slit pupil on the right).  Are they equally entrancing, Hushrong? :)

nAjxc3P.jpg

And finally, because I find it interesting, the 2 different techniques I used for black skin.  I think I like the lighter one for most models (though, less glossy for mortal models) - its the method I've been using for african skin tones on my IG.  When I asked the guy at my local GW how he did african skin tones, he suggested the method that produced the darker model - I think it might look a bit off for mortals, but  it does look good in hot pink, as noted above, and does look otherworldly, so its a good daemonette colour.

qLpauzY.jpg

Just built myself a combi bolter by cutting up a heavy bolter and 2 normal bolters.  Pretty happy how it turned out.

PS8ShXY.jpg

pDUTHTP.jpg

It`s going the aspriing champion for my flamer bike unit.

mdYiFEr.jpg

And here's my 4th ETL vow.

yG3cI6Z.jpg

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 3 weeks later...

Not much progress on my 4th vow, but  I did manage to finish 3 of them.

O26Fufc.jpg

I'm particularly happy with the sergeant's face - sometimes things just work out :smile.:

o2P0mHB.jpg

Now jhhere is what was distracting me from my bikers:

kRCJ7CD.jpg

All the options are magnetized, and I still have some chaosification to do - will be adding some spikes, shield and skulls.

Good progress on the biker vow brother, I'm looking forward to seeing you tackle the knight; the Slaanesh icon on the tilt shield works really well.

Thanks.  My progress has actually been a bit slow - by this point, I should have had the unit finished - but as I said, I was distracted.

Glad you like the knight.  I too quite like the slaanesh icon on the little shield - I first had it on the carapace in the middle of  the top hatch (there's some discolouration from where it was originally, which should hopefully paint over) but it was too crowded up there.

Bikers look great and I can see why you've been distracted! Looking forward to seeing that god machine done in Slaanesh's flavor.

Thanks!  Glad you like them.

You won't be seeing the knight done anytime soon - there is no way I could finish it in what's left of ETL (I was hoping to make it my 5th vow, but I know that I wouldn't be able to give it the attention I think it deserves in the time left).  So, when ETL is over, I'll be painting up some non-chaos models as a break (probably some terrain), after which I'll probably work on the knight.

• 2 weeks later...