Where in the galaxy is Carmen...er, the planet Ullanor

Marshal Rohr

So I have recently purchased the Beast Arises series solely to determine where in the galaxy the planet was at the time of the Luna Wolves invasion. I couldn't find anything specific in the novels, which leaves the only other clues being the Orks fled to regions like the Kyvas Belt and Chondax after the empire was destroyed(Galactic Coreward) and the battle of Gorro took place in something called the Tellon Reach - Which sounds like it might be in the Segmentum Solar. Is it possible Ullanor was somewhere near Golgotha? 

Thanks for your help/ 

Well Goro was in the Telion Reach and was described by the Emperor as "The Telon Reach was but a satrapy of the largest empire we have ever encountered" so I would hazard a guess that Ullanor would be near it.

I'm pretty sure it's modern day Armageddon.

Right, but before that, I'm wondering where it was. Was it way out there like Istvaan? Maybe close to the Galactic Core?

He's saying Ullanor is now called Armageddon.

Yes, but the good Marshal wants to know where it was.

I think it’s between

Lorin Alpha (referenced early)

Chondax and Kayvas Belt (where Orks retreated)

Just to the north west of The Maelstrom.

Incidentally, if you look at the FW HH book maps, while Ullanor is nowhere listed, the area described above has an Ork icon in the background.

I think it’s between

Lorin Alpha (referenced early)

Chondax and Kayvas Belt (where Orks retreated)

Just to the north west of The Maelstrom.

Incidentally, if you look at the FW HH book maps, while Ullanor is nowhere listed, the area described above has an Ork icon in the background.

Thats what made me wonder too. See, that conclusion I get -  and would make sense with the Attack moon appearing so close to Terra in the first tBA novel, but it makes me wonder how the biggest threat to the Imperium since the Rangda Xenocidex survived so close to the Segmentum Solar, you know? The Xenocides happened out at the frontier, but the Golgothan Wastes are much closer.

Ullanor was teleported into the Pelucidar system, and renamed Armageddon by the fabricator general. Before that, it was in a separate location. 

Thats what made me wonder too. See, that conclusion I get -  and would make sense with the Attack moon appearing so close to Terra in the first tBA novel, but it makes me wonder how the biggest threat to the Imperium since the Rangda Xenocidex survived so close to the Segmentum Solar, you know? The Xenocides happened out at the frontier, but the Golgothan Wastes are much closer.

Because the galaxy is a big place, and as the fluff has referenced in multiple editions, the Imperium is spread thin across it. Most stars don't have an imperial presence; hell, they've probably never had a human. It would be folly to think the stars closest to Sol wouldn't have been visited and marked, but too much father out, and it becomes much more likely.

In the chaos of the Heresy and the Scouring afterwards, many systems were forgotten. One was just Ullanor.

Because the galaxy is a big place, and as the fluff has referenced in multiple editions, the Imperium is spread thin across it. Most stars don't have an imperial presence; hell, they've probably never had a human. It would be folly to think the stars closest to Sol wouldn't have been visited and marked, but too much father out, and it becomes much more likely.

In the chaos of the Heresy and the Scouring afterwards, many systems were forgotten. One was just Ullanor.

The description of the Ullanor Empire in Wolf of Ash in Fire though is super expansive. Gorro itself is one world in the Telion Reach, and the Emperor zooms out the show Horus hundreds of such worlds in the Empire, all loyalty to Ullanor. What I'm looking for here is something as simple as a Segmentum. Nothing a specific as a marker on a map. 

I always assumed it was in the Segmentum Obscurus to the north, as I thought I read something about the Chromes fleeing south from the Orks in The Beast Arises. But I might be totally misremembering/making that up - I didn't pay much attention to the series.

I always assumed it was in the Segmentum Obscurus to the north, as I thought I read something about the Chromes fleeing south from the Orks in The Beast Arises. But I might be totally misremembering/making that up - I didn't pay much attention to the series.

That made me curious as well, but I think my investigation has made Golgotha and the Golgothan Wastes an impossibility since that region of space was purged by Angron. A happy discovery, but it definitely makes me thin farther north and west will yield solid results. 

I am grateful for threads like this because it helps the rest of us learn more lore.

Today I learned that the Mechanicus has the ability to teleport planets. And that the Orks invented it first.

:huh.:

So the heresy-era galactic map doesn't show Ullanor for some reason, which seems bizarre frankly. It does however show Chondax, where the WS went to clean up immediately after Ullanor, and which might be close? At any rate it was part of the empire, like Goro. If we take the big ork skull to indicate some broad ork-space, that might put it in or adjacent to the Golgothan Wastes. North of the maelstrom.

As you say that shouldn't work based on Angron and the WE's activities* but to be honest I suspect a lot of the timeline of expansion in the great crusade (as measured by the discovery of the primarchs) just doesn't make sense when treated linearly as fleet movement in whatever direction out from Terra. A map of stable warp routes or worlds the Emperor already had knowledge of (Fenris and Medusa) would probably be more useful than a two-dimensional 'top-down' image. I suspect some areas and primarchs were essentially leap-frogged by the expeditionary fleets.

* And the presence of Sanguinius at the triumph, Baal is further northwest in an almost straight line from Terra to Chondax.

*had the ability to teleport planets.

As with all great things in the imperium, it got lost over time. :D

The Mechanicus (almost) never delete anything.

But Magi aren't big on sharing so a lot of things get hidden away selfishly locked away, and Cawl might temporarily forget which memory stack he left that knowledge in.

It also just may not have come up as a useful thing to do since.

Uhm... I think the funnier part is being overlooked.

The Orks had it first.

The Orks, who care little to nothing about technology, invented some technology before the Mechanicus, an organization all about doing crazy things with technology. That's funny as hell to me.

If you know enough about Orks and especially Krork then it's not that funny to be honest. They have extremely advanced technology at hand and can build it from basically nothing. They are not the savages as they appear to most, they simply don't care too much about out-tech the AdMech, T'au or whatever. ^^

Uhm... I think the funnier part is being overlooked.

The Orks had it first.

The Orks, who care little to nothing about technology, invented some technology before the Mechanicus, an organization all about doing crazy things with technology. That's funny as hell to me.

Orks often have more advanced tech than the imperium. Their innate understanding of how to build it, maintain it, and use it is covered up by the fact that they can't imagine the use of any of it except for war, and to our understanding Orks seem dumb. But any individual Ork is just as smart as your average human.

I don't mean to suggest Orks are stupid - I know them to be quite the opposite. They have technology... They just, as a whole, don't care about technology. Hence the humor of learning this fact had for me.

I like the idea of Orks having teleporters. It explains how they seem to appear whenever two people have a fight that lasts longer than twenty minutes.

Seriously, is there any major Imperial campaign that doesn't have a section where Orks show up for some reason?

Well Orks are basically everywhere spreadout through the galaxy and always get drawn towards where fights are so it's not really a surprise or real stretch to keep finding Orks at battlezones. ^^

Archived