Tzaangor equivalents?

Heliomanes

I'm not terribly keen on the tzaangor models. The fluff is fine, I love the braying bestial minions that fill the ships of "The Talon of Horus" - but there's something about the goatbirdman models that doesn't sit right with me. It might be something about the armor plates?

Anyway. I've been looking for a nice and thematic equivalent. I've been messing around with Lovecraftian fishmen, or "deep ones" for a while, but I'm not thrilled by the results. So let's brainstorm! Do you have any interesting ideas? I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Aarakocra from Reaper. There are other versions with swords but I think they're prepainted and come in packs of 6.

Vrock, but I think they're Spawn or DP size and maybe look a little too close to LoC.

Best bet may be Tengu type creatures. Those guys will be easier to find and will look more humanoid for sure.

That's the extent of my avian anthropomorphic mythological creature catalogue.

Blame my DnD history of Anthropomorphic characters (Baleen Whales, Hippo, Squid, etc.) for having any information on this topic.

Thanks for the suggestions, mate! I'll have to look through those models. Just to clarify a bit; they don't necessarily have to be avians. I'm looking for fitting and fluffy ideas, not necessarily miniatures. Conversions and bitswapping are fun parts of the hobby, after all. So - what matter of humanoid creatures fitting the tzaangor statline would our sorcerer-lords utilize? I can't imagine the ships and towers of the Thousand Sons exclusively being filled and crewed by astartes, goatmen and human serfs. Chaos is nothing if not creative.

One clarification would be helpful: Do you wish to play them as bolt pistol/chainsword tzaangors or tzaangor blade tzaangors?

I'm nowhere near creative enough to be much help with this, but my best suggestion would be humans actively warping into daemonic forms. In particular, I'm inspired by early Thousand Sons models depicting half-space-marine, half-Flamer abominations:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/1/12/Tzeentch_Renegade_1.png

I used to hate the Tzaangor models myself, but when I threw them together and managed to paint a squad of them (with reasonable results for a simple paint scheme) in just one weekend, they rather grew on me. Considering I can't even paint 5 cultists in a weekend ordinarily, it was quite the difference. I've kinda wanted to get more ever since, especially since I worked the Tzaangors into a major subpoint of my army's fluff in a big way, but every time I do I find something more interesting that catches my eye--and it's usually yet another box of Rubric Marines.

I am just starting some Thousand Sons and I am planning on using Kairoc Acolytes. I don't dislike tzaangors but the acolyte models are way too cool not to use. I figured they'd be cultists trying to get Tzeentch to bless them with mutation, and either paint the masks as the first steps of that or add some tzaangor bits or something here and there.

Archived