ETL Preperation/Hype Up Thread

Danny Cyanide

So I've seen a couple of these topics popping up in other subforums, and I thought I'd throw one together for us Militarum folk.

After using Trooping the Colour to kick start my re-entry into the hobby I have to say I'm extremely excited for the ETL event! I've never participated in one but this time I'm going to be going all in.

I'm still painting infantry while I'm away from home at work, but I have some big stuff lined up for when I get home, which should time out right around when the ETL begins. For my first vow, I'll be working on the following:

Elysians:

1 x Tauros Assault Vehicle

3 x Tauros Venators

1 x Valkyrie

2 x Vulture Gunships

DKOK:

2 x Hellhounds

1 x Leman Russ Battle Tank

1x Leman Russ Vanquisher\

1 x Leman Russ Annilator

1 x Earthshaker carriage Battery with 3 cannons

Lords of War:

1 x Stormlord with 4 Las/Flamer sponsons

2 x Armiger Warglaives

This will total to 2931 points.

Anyone else feel like sharing their ETL Plans, or generally hyping each other up?

I'm counting on you my brothers to stand with me in this challenge! Lets show the rest of the forum why we are the the ”Sledgehammer of the Emperor”! We are the Guard, and our combined might makes us strong!

We didn't have one last year, at least, not AFAIK. In years past it was an inter-forum painting competition. Each member vying for the most number of completed vows, highest total points cost, and then the subforums would be tallied up to determine an overall winning faction. 

It's tremendous fun, and it's the reason my guard army is painted up as much as it is. 

I don't have many unpainted models to use as vows for the IG, so I don't know what I'll do.

We didn't have one last year, at least, not AFAIK. In years past it was an inter-forum painting competition. Each member vying for the most number of completed vows, highest total points cost, and then the subforums would be tallied up to determine an overall winning faction.

It's tremendous fun, and it's the reason my guard army is painted up as much as it is.

I don't have many unpainted models to use as vows for the IG, so I don't know what I'll do.

I second Ulrik, it's great fun. It's also the main reason why I've also got a fully painted IG force. This will be the first ETL in 2 years and the first since 8th dropped. Which will make it all the more interesting.

Ulrik, an army is never finished! There is always room for another super heavy, an allied detatchment from another regiment, a new artillery or armored company, or a repaint of things done 5 years ago! What do you have for a collection? I know you say that you don't have much unpainted, but honestly if you have anything unpainted, it's more than nothing!

Small vows add up in events like these! That's pretty much the basis of the Astra Militarum, we are all small and insignificant, but if you put enough if it's together we are an unstoppable force!

Halfpint, the ETL is the largest painting challenge run at the B&C! It involves all subforus competing against each other for the glory of painting the most points! Participants can view up to 3000 points at a time, and can make up to 5 views over the event, but one vow must be completed before a second is taken. Uncompleted views remove any contributions that you have made from the competition, so it's important to not be off more than you can chew.

In past events we Guard have had allies in our corner though, we are generally put in a united faction with Sisters, Ad Mech, Inquisition and I'd expect Custodes will join in our group this year. I'm also really hoping that Deathwatch winds up with us and not with space Marines as I'd like to start a small force of them when I complete my first vow.

I watched the first 2 ETL events from the sidelines, and have been away from the hobby since 2013, so I'm going to jump in full force this time! Hopefully you will join me in bringing glory to The Emperor's Guard!

For the Emperor!

Depending on how the Faction groupings work out, I may end up pledging here rather than as a Renegade. It would give me a second crack at painting the dudes I utterly failed to paint for Trooping the Colour.

It would be a Vow of all of a whopping 125pts. 

I know, I know. I am your Saviour.

That'd be 125 points more than we have now, so I'd welcome it, I'd even run interference between your men and any Ordo Maleus Inquisitors that are pledged in the event!

That's a great point as well, for anyone that didn't complete their Trooping the Colour vows, this is the time to make penance!  Pledge them for the ETL and perhaps duz_ will be willing to stay your transfers to the penal legions?

I suppose, if push did in fact come to shove, I could maybe squeeze out a cheeky Leman Russ Squadron. 

And some Basilisks. A Baneblade or three would be nice, but doesn't really fit the whole Planetary Defence Force angle. A Knight, even less so. 

I did literally - literally - nothing towards Trooping the Colour, so one further supposes that if I am to avoid a bolt-round to the old noggin I had best "go big or go home", to coin a Norman phrase.

Ulrik, an army is never finished! There is always room for another super heavy, an allied detatchment from another regiment, a new artillery or armored company, or a repaint of things done 5 years ago! What do you have for a collection? I know you say that you don't have much unpainted, but honestly if you have anything unpainted, it's more than nothing!

My army has hit the point where I don't know what to add from here. I have 60 infantry that need paint (also 40 of them need some attention to bring them up to my standard), as well as 6 Ogryn which are currently in the pre-shading phase. I probably need to re-paint my 40 some kasrkin (they're looking a bit worn), and I have 2 chimeras that don't match. 

I'd love to add a couple basilisks but alas, I'm out of money. I do plan to scour my bits box and see If I can't add a couple inquisitors. 

Small vows add up in events like these! That's pretty much the basis of the Astra Militarum, we are all small and insignificant, but if you put enough if it's together we are an unstoppable force!

I know. My ETL 2015 Custos Fidei banner still resides in my signature block. 

So the you go, 100 infantry and 40 Kasrkin! That's only 43 infantry models per month! Easily achievable for the ETL! Lol!

In all seriousness though, I really just want to start getting the community ready to push together! I know there is very little chance of us actually challenging the other forums, and I honestly don't really care about that part of the event at all! I just had so much fun painting up stuff for Trooping the Color and I really felt motivated by the other members here, so I'm wanting to help motivate others, as they helped me to push out minis!

I love comeing here and seeing what everyone else is working on, and I'm hoping that the ETL will increase the amount of stuff that I get to come look at! Weather it's a 3000 point vow, or a 40 point vow for a single infantry squad, I love seeing all of your guys work!

Hrm.

I've never liked the 'how much can you paint' type competitions, because whoever has the most free time or the bigger wallet wins - it usually says nothing of knowledge or skill or anything that can actually be improved. And when considering myself personally, having two jobs and still trying to keep up regular updates with Index: Mechanicus, the answer to "How many vows can you complete" is usually "The same amount as every time, Pinky - try to take over the---"

... That analogy broke down somewhere...

... But... I do have all these built but unpainted Guardsmen... And a pair of special effects tanks that should be finished being built by the ETL if my memory is accurate about the schedule...

3 Infantry Squads

1 Command Squad

1 Commander

1 Commissar

1 Ogryn Bodyguard

1 Scout Sentinel (Possible LED's)

1 Chimera with LED's

1 Leman Russ with LED's and a digital wound tracker

So... Maybe. Just maybe.... For The Emperor.

The thing with the ETL is that you aren't competing individually, I's all one big team, so it's much less lopsided,as there will be people with tons of time/very fast painters as well as people with little time/slower painters in all sub forums!  It's much more of a community building exercise than an individual competition!

I've never participated in one, but I've watched them from the sidelines and every time I have I've regretted not being a part of the party!

Just pledge a reasonable amount that you think you can get done in 3 months, and if you are done that block quickly, make another pledge that you are sure you can get done in the remaining month or whatever is left!

It's not for individual glory Brothers, It's for the Glory of the Astra Militarum!

Well, some more details have been released, and it looks like we can do cross over units from other IFOR forums, so that opens up some possibilities!

Also, the limit is now 20,000 points, in up to 5 vows. Not that I'm planning to do anything near that!

I will be pledging for the guard, working on getting both my Elysians and Krieg up to 2000 points, then I will likely branch off and do some Knights (which will be pledged to this forum) possibly a small AdMech vow and a small Deathwatch wow after if I still have time!

Archived