Russ's Armor Color Upon His Return

Jarl Caldersson

As I sit here assembling these models in boredom I began to wonder what would Russ's armor be if he returns?

It would make sense if he returned with the 30k grey and not the 40k baby blue. However something bothers me that coming back he could be in black armor. I am not sure why but I could just see Russ returning wearing thick leather cloaks and woren black armor. Kind of like a old Wolf Priest and not a Rune Priest as I imagined before. It would give him old man Russ or Odin Russ vibe. It would also defuse any conflict on HH grey vs 40k baby blue fanatics, by giving him a nuetral color.

So what does the Aett think Russ will be wearing If he returns?

Something ramshackle but undeniably power armour. And I don't think he'll have time to paint it any other color so it'll be just natural ceramite grey.

He isn't Guilliman, he doesn't care about spit and polish, at least among his own sons. Though he might "dress up" for the sake of the masses if it got the masses to fight harder.

Actually I was thinking he doesn't come back in armour at all, just leather and robes with lots of fur coverings to denote travelling. Normally you don't travel in full body armour.

I know Gandalf is inspired by Odin in the first place, but I also can't help thinking of a big buff looking Ian McKellen in robes of grey and furs flecked with white. Leaning on a great staff, but also with an ornate sword at his side (remember that Gandalf uses a long sword called Glamdring  most of the time)

Something ramshackle but undeniably power armour. And I don't think he'll have time to paint it any other color so it'll be just natural ceramite grey.

He isn't Guilliman, he doesn't care about spit and polish, at least among his own sons. Though he might "dress up" for the sake of the masses if it got the masses to fight harder.

Actually I was thinking he doesn't come back in armour at all, just leather and robes with lots of fur coverings to denote travelling. Normally you don't travel in full body armour.

I know Gandalf is inspired by Odin in the first place, but I also can't help thinking of a big buff looking Ian McKellen in robes of grey and furs flecked with white. Leaning on a great staff, but also with an ornate sword at his side (remember that Gandalf uses a long sword called Glamdring most of the time)

But model wise, he will be armoured. I agree on the travel garments,but after coming back to the Chapter, he will have a new armour for sure.

I know Gandalf is inspired by Odin in the first place, but I also can't help thinking of a big buff looking Ian McKellen in robes of grey and furs flecked with white. Leaning on a great staff, but also with an ornate sword at his side (remember that Gandalf uses a long sword called Glamdring most of the time)

But model wise, he will be armoured. I agree on the travel garments,but after coming back to the Chapter, he will have a new armour for sure.

Of course the greatest likelihood he'll be armoured. But I don''t envision it being some fancy suit like what Guilliman has. Even he takes up some new armour, I doubt the Iron Priests can come up with anything like what Cawl did for Guilliman. And he wouldn't really care anyway. 2+, 4++ is perfectly fine for him, provided he still has his ability to -1 to hit in CC.

The one on the Primarch novel is pretty simple and will do. Unlike Guilliman's plot armour, there would be any reason for him to get fancy armour, unless they some how make it a plot point in a campaign to recover his old arms or alternatively, find NEW arms that isn't Belisarius Cawl sanctioned to balance Guilliman's reliance on the Admech.

Of course the greatest likelihood he'll be armoured. But I don''t envision it being some fancy suit like what Guilliman has. Even he takes up some new armour, I doubt the Iron Priests can come up with anything like what Cawl did for Guilliman. And he wouldn't really care anyway. 2+, 4++ is perfectly fine for him, provided he still has his ability to -1 to hit in CC.

The one on the Primarch novel is pretty simple and will do. Unlike Guilliman's plot armour, there would be any reason for him to get fancy armour, unless they some how make it a plot point in a campaign to recover his old arms or alternatively, find NEW arms that isn't Belisarius Cawl sanctioned to balance Guilliman's reliance on the Admech.

Grey when he is first found. Switching to modern space wolf colors for the actual model which will have been re-armed (and re-painted) after visiting Fenris.

In theory they could move the SW's back to the old Heresy color scheme (and many here would probably prefer it), but with Russ himself wanting to reform the Space Wolves I expect him to embrace the new wolves as protectors of humanity rather then revert to the old executioners.

Wouldn't it be funny if the armour found on the second great hunt wasnt actually Russ' but one of his huscarls.

A leather suit like Bludbrodrs in Wolfsbane would be cool though

I mean...his armor color is whatever we paint it unless they choose to make some crazy statement which I don't think there's precedent for. Visually though I would love for it to be something they clearly had in the Fang forever or forged by the Iron Priests.

I wouldnt want to see some biggified mkX. Gimme that brutal heresy feel. Aesthetically Roboute should have the slick tech armor, Russ should be a sort of foil of that.

The old ways...

I mean...his armor color is whatever we paint it unless they choose to make some crazy statement which I don't think there's precedent for. Visually though I would love for it to be something they clearly had in the Fang forever or forged by the Iron Priests.

I wouldnt want to see some biggified mkX. Gimme that brutal heresy feel. Aesthetically Roboute should have the slick tech armor, Russ should be a sort of foil of that.

The old ways...

Hmm, iron priest, runic armor. Graves 5-6+ save against pyskic/mortsl wounds?

It seems I've been away longer than I thought if it's The Wolf Tine and out Father is coming back!!!

When is this happening or is this just annoying speculation?

It's still speculation, but with SW being the last imperium codex yet to be released, and a fairly large time gap as well, it makes sense something important is on the rise, and the only real candidate is Wolf Time, so expecting Russ's reapperance is far more likely than the lofty dreams of yore.

It's still speculation, but with SW being the last imperium codex yet to be released, and a fairly large time gap as well, it makes sense something important is on the rise, and the only real candidate is Wolf Time, so expecting Russ's reapperance is far more likely than the lofty dreams of yore.

@ SW1 - What Gherrick said. Sadly mostly rampant speculation but based on a lot of somewhat verifiable trends which denote that Russ will be the second returning Loyalist primarch.

I feel we're definitely going to get a russ model of some sort. The books are just throwing it at you left right and centre. I'm just not sure when we'll get them. The new two player box will certainly be "wolf time" the box though. Maybe with a better name...

Edit

Actually the most likely option to me seems like the orcs. I'd buy a Orc vs Spacewolves box any day of the week!

I seem to recall in one of the older texts, that one of the great crusades of the wolves in search of Russ, found his armour in a deserted Khorne temple. As Logan's axe and Calgar's fists were also chaos artefacts originally, I would like to think maybe Russ had swapped out his armour for some iron grey and bronze former Khornate armour with some added anti psycher powers. I would also like to see him reclaim his spear from the warp after Blackmane chucked it into Magnus' eye. For deepest irony, I would love Russ to have an eyepatch. Add some travel worn leather and fur bits, some grey-ish hair and a beard and you will have an acceptable Odin-ish Russ to return in the place of the Thor-ish Russ that left. And if not a spear, then maybe a claw. More of an old man Logan (Wolverine) feel. Or better still, both. B)

Cheers,

GM

Archived