Russ's Armor Color Upon His Return

Jarl Caldersson

I feel we're definitely going to get a russ model of some sort. The books are just throwing it at you left right and centre. I'm just not sure when we'll get them. The new two player box will certainly be "wolf time" the box though. Maybe with a better name...

Edit

Actually the most likely option to me seems like the orcs. I'd buy a Orc vs Spacewolves box any day of the week!

Actually I rather avoid a Stormclaw box. Orks have always been something like a filler episode for the drama of Warhammer 40K. They may wreak a lot of havoc, even threaten Terra, but in the end, will always be relegated as the "Distraction from the true threat". So for Space Wolves to fight Orks again would be to shove us into unnecessary fillers, like the useless 100 or more episodes between Naruto and Naruto Shippuden which successfully made me fed up of what was once my favorite anime.

Sorry, forget I said that. Point is, let someone else fight the Orks, and let the Space Wolves take on a real FLUFF THREATENING enemy, like the Black Legion themselves. I hear that Abaddon the Armless is finally getting a new model along with properly updated  new Black Legion terminators. Please let Space Wolves take him on.

I feel we're definitely going to get a russ model of some sort. The books are just throwing it at you left right and centre. I'm just not sure when we'll get them. The new two player box will certainly be "wolf time" the box though. Maybe with a better name...

Edit

Actually the most likely option to me seems like the orcs. I'd buy a Orc vs Spacewolves box any day of the week!

Actually I rather avoid a Stormclaw box. Orks have always been something like a filler episode for the drama of Warhammer 40K. They may wreak a lot of havoc, even threaten Terra, but in the end, will always be relegated as the "Distraction from the true threat". So for Space Wolves to fight Orks again would be to shove us into unnecessary fillers, like the useless 100 or more episodes between Naruto and Naruto Shippuden which successfully made me fed up of what was once my favorite anime.

Sorry, forget I said that. Point is, let someone else fight the Orks, and let the Space Wolves take on a real FLUFF THREATENING enemy, like the Black Legion themselves. I hear that Abaddon the Armless is finally getting a new model along with properly updated  new Black Legion terminators. Please let Space Wolves take him on.

Yes that would be sweet. I was using the lack of codex as my reasoning but yes Black Legion would be pretty ok too. 

I seem to recall in one of the older texts, that one of the great crusades of the wolves in search of Russ, found his armour in a deserted Khorne temple. As Logan's axe and Calgar's fists were also chaos artefacts originally, I would like to think maybe Russ had swapped out his armour for some iron grey and bronze former Khornate armour with some added anti psycher powers. I would also like to see him reclaim his spear from the warp after Blackmane chucked it into Magnus' eye. For deepest irony, I would love Russ to have an eyepatch. Add some travel worn leather and fur bits, some grey-ish hair and a beard and you will have an acceptable Odin-ish Russ to return in the place of the Thor-ish Russ that left. And if not a spear, then maybe a claw. More of an old man Logan (Wolverine) feel. Or better still, both. B)

Cheers,

GM

The spear was already recovered by Ragnar. It is in the 6th book of the Ragnar/SW series. He meets Bulveye and a Rune Priest on that particular adventure.

Also the second great hunt. It is supposed to be Russ' armour. But what if it wasn't and belonged to a Varagyr and mistaken for Russ. Armour?

It seems I've been away longer than I thought if it's The Wolf Tine and out Father is coming back!!!

When is this happening or is this just annoying speculation?

With Mortarion there are now 2 Daemon Primarchs but only one loyalist.

So there is a lot of anticipation for a second loyalist Primarch reveal.

The lack of SW book while the other chapters have all had theirs leads to the belief that it will be Russ.

It also makes sense from a story perspective. Guilliman the world builder to hold the empire together and Russ the warrior to kill its enemies.

I seem to recall in one of the older texts, that one of the great crusades of the wolves in search of Russ, found his armour in a deserted Khorne temple. As Logan's axe and Calgar's fists were also chaos artefacts originally, I would like to think maybe Russ had swapped out his armour for some iron grey and bronze former Khornate armour with some added anti psycher powers. I would also like to see him reclaim his spear from the warp after Blackmane chucked it into Magnus' eye. For deepest irony, I would love Russ to have an eyepatch. Add some travel worn leather and fur bits, some grey-ish hair and a beard and you will have an acceptable Odin-ish Russ to return in the place of the Thor-ish Russ that left. And if not a spear, then maybe a claw. More of an old man Logan (Wolverine) feel. Or better still, both. :cool.:

Cheers,

GM

The spear was already recovered by Ragnar. It is in the 6th book of the Ragnar/SW series. He meets Bulveye and a Rune Priest on that particular adventure.

Also the second great hunt. It is supposed to be Russ' armour. But what if it wasn't and belonged to a Varagyr and mistaken for Russ. Armour?

A Primarch is considerably bigger then even the biggest marine. Hard to mistake the size in armor I would imagine.

Thing is that 40k marines don't know that, the "Lions Helm" for example fits on a normal marine and is mk7 but is believed to be worn by the Lion. Same with Shrikes lightning claws. Russ's armor somehow fits on a normal marine, leads us to believe that this isn't really Russ's armor.

Supposedly Alpharius and Omegon could still sneak around as normal power armoured or terminator armored marines. Hard to imagine though. i expect it'll be as plausible as Clark Kent not being recognised as Superman just by donning glasses and a completely different demeanor from his alter ego, or real ego.

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking. Maybe Alpharius is getting proper respect for his disguises working despite being 12 feet tall. I can tell it’s a good disguise but...the thing is your still the biggest person in the room...by a distance...even with the glasses on.

I wonder if they decided Primarchs were a lot bigger when the 30k models started coming out and a lot if the fluff with Primarchs artefacts and disguises etc was already out there.

Supposedly Alpharius and Omegon could still sneak around as normal power armoured or terminator armored marines. Hard to imagine though. i expect it'll be as plausible as Clark Kent not being recognised as Superman just by donning glasses and a completely different demeanor from his alter ego, or real ego.

Alpharius and Omegon are also smaller then the other Primarchs, most likely because of being twins. So yes they can pass for a large space marine.

Alpharius and Omegon are also smaller then the other Primarchs, most likely because of being twins. So yes they can pass for a large space marine.
Have you seen the new forgeworld Alpharius yet? He is much bigger than the Space Wolf he is killing on his base. Some inconsistency somewhere.

While we are on the subject, is Ulrik’s helmet supposed to be Russ’ too? Another example of the scale issue if so.

Yep, but we know there is no way Russ could fit that helmet on his head. Another BS relic.
Maybe Ulrik’s had it taken in a bit.

Maybe Russ will reclaim it if it is his. So could be a helmet option on the model which is sort of back on track for the conversation.

Another possible explanation for Alpharius and Omegon is maybe some stupid psyker ability, similar to Corax's "invisibility" spell. Making others "Perceive" him as "normal size". Like Corax forcing everyone to "perceive him" as not being there. Of course it shouldn't work on cameras or AI constructs.

Ah, best to give up on GW scaling problems. I think the real reason is that in the beginning, the primarchs weren't envisioned as THAT different in size, therefore their relics could still be conceivably used by regular marines, even if they had to hire a dreser to adjust the dress size down a few notches. Sadly when the HH series was written, the writers took too much liberty in their size and strength, resulting in TWICE the size of a Space Marine, which is too much suspension of disbelief.

It's like taking your dad's tuxedo, and trying to adjust it down to you size when you were .... 7 years old and half the size of your dad? 

A lot of the heirloom lore was written when we didn’t have the scale differences. In 2nd ed we had a Russ model and he wasn’t any bigger than anyone else. You can lay a lot at the feet of the model making capabilities but I don’t remember any of this massive scale difference until the book series.

I think they honestly f-ed up where I think it should have been a larger than life 300 comic thing. Myth told literally. The twice the normal height thing always bugged me and I honestly don’t like most of the FW character series models because it’s too jarring.

Personal Headcanon:

The Wolf Skull of Ulrik's Helm was Russ' Helmet. But it's not the one he wore during the Great Crusade. It's one he wore in his youth, sometime around the time he was found by his adoptive father. Either when he was still living with the Wolves, or during his first conquests as a youngster.

That makes it a different, equally precious artifact.

It links back to Leman Russ' own humble, tribal beginnings as a savage on Fenris. It connects the Chapter with their own heritage, the tribes of Fenris.

...and I think Ulrik wearing that Helmet and representing the old traditions and sagas and values of their people, is quite awesome.

Regarding Russ Armor:

Yes, I would like it to be remnants of a well-worn power armor, with a side of decorative furs and leather (not much more than the FW Model).

It should hint at being handcrafted and repaired. It shouldn't have too much blong, but still be... imposing and representative. Not just a cobbled together wreck.

Hrm, Colour wise...

Black could work, if Russ burned his Armor repeatedly to cleanse it of Warp Taint?

Grey would be the old school colour.

Even the 40k greyblue colour could be explained away with frost or so.

Then there is still the open question of "Will Cawl have an extra armor for Russ?".

IF he does, I hope Russ was involved with the process, basically giving Cawl specifications on what he wanted improved.

(Similiarly I hope Russ was involved in the Primaris Project, knowing that some Fenrisian Recruits were brought away and hidden on Mars.)

It wouldn't shock me if Russ comes back and immediately breaks Cawl's neck...since I am fairly sure he didn't get the emperor's blessing before mucking with his project. As to the armor color, I like the black option, with Russ becoming more wolf priest-like from his time in the warp.

Ah, best to give up on GW scaling problems. I think the real reason is that in the beginning, the primarchs weren't envisioned as THAT different in size, therefore their relics could still be conceivably used by regular marines, even if they had to hire a dreser to adjust the dress size down a few notches. Sadly when the HH series was written, the writers took too much liberty in their size and strength, resulting in TWICE the size of a Space Marine, which is too much suspension of disbelief.

It goes back further than that. The Chaos Primarchs in Epic were about the size of a Knight. 40K Magnus and Morty are probably smaller than their old Epic counterparts. Now granted they are Daemons so their size no longer reflects their origins but the precedent for the Primarchs as being much larger than their Marines has deep roots.

Here is the early fluff on the Primarchs from 2nd edition which once again reinforces the notion that at least some of them were far to big to mistaken for anything else.

The Primarchs were genetically engineered creatures, artificial humanoids with astounding abilities. Each Primarch was created differently, with his own unique powers. Some of the Primarchs were made so as to resemble ordinary humans, but many were of titanic proportions and strange appearance.

It goes back further than that. The Chaos Primarchs in Epic were about the size of a Knight. 40K Magnus and Morty are probably smaller than their old Epic counterparts. Now granted they are Daemons so their size no longer reflects their origins but the precedent for the Primarchs as being much larger than their Marines has deep roots.

Here is the early fluff on the Primarchs from 2nd edition which once again reinforces the notion that at least some of them were far to big to mistaken for anything else.

The Primarchs were genetically engineered creatures, artificial humanoids with astounding abilities. Each Primarch was created differently, with his own unique powers. Some of the Primarchs were made so as to resemble ordinary humans, but many were of titanic proportions and strange appearance.

So not all of them were supersized giants in the beginning, but SOME of them were. Ferrus and Vulkan comes to mind. Then HH series happened and seemed to "Standardize" Primarch size to almost ginormous standards.

Well done GW. Let's see Russ try Ulrik's helm now.

Hate to keep this about Primarch gear but alot of the codex (especially older codex) are written from a pov of 40th century. Only after the HH novels were released did we get a true scale of the primarchs. This is reinforced by the old sketches of the primarchs.

i think we will find out the colour of the armour in about 20 days or so... In warhammer fest (12-13 of May). Alpharious stabbing a spacewolf released that day, wolfsbane releasing 12th of May (featuring Russ), studio preview for future releases... so many signs :smile.:

They grow up so fast.

Seriously though that FW russ is about 4 times too big.

That is how tall he is described in the books...

If he was a 1/4 of his current size he would be smaller than a normal marine.

I think the words you were looking for are "ha ha ha"

i think we will find out the colour of the armour in about 20 days or so... In warhammer fest (12-13 of May). Alpharious stabbing a spacewolf released that day, wolfsbane releasing 12th of May (featuring Russ), studio preview for future releases... so many signs :smile.:

It does indeed look to be written upon the stars doesn't it. 

I just hope all those purchases I've just made don't turn out to be poop.

Archived