Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Better alternatives to GW plastic glue?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Fr33Dom

Fr33Dom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
  • Faction: White Consuls
So I’ve bought two pots of GW plastic glue cos I like the metal needle like tip, but the problem is they keep blocking up and I can’t unblock them so is there any alternatives that come with a needle like tip out there that are better and don’t block up so much?

Forward forever backwards never.

Gradatim Ferociter: Step by step ferociously

My DJ page: https://hearthis.at/th23tkmq/

WIP: http://www.bolterand...g/#entry5017988

https://www.instagra.../sol_destroyer/

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,477 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

PI00000079430.jpg

Revell has never let me down, been using it for longer than I can remember.

• Venerable Jazzman, Prot, Ramell and 10 others like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,572 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels

PI00000079430.jpg

I second this.

This is the best glue iv used when it comes to plastic.

• Marshal Loss likes this

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png   gallery_86352_14298_17387.jpg gallery_86352_12089_19839.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

Fr33Dom

Fr33Dom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts

PI00000079430.jpg

I’ve never seen that glue in the UK mate.

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,552 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion, Dark Mechanicus

Tamiya Extra Thin is my goto glue for styrene. I've used many products over 30+ years building models (never used that Contacta, I'll admit) and Extra Thin is just... better. It's water thin so it pulls into gaps like a charm, it evaporates and dries very quickly, it's just 'hot' enough to do the job without melting the plastic like crazy, and it comes with a fine brush built into the cap giving you lots of precision in how you can apply it.

• Disruptor_fe404, Arkhanist, Grand Master Laertes and 1 other like this

Nostrum nomen est Legio, pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion, for we are many.
mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,477 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

PI00000079430.jpg

A quick google indicates that it isn't hard to find in the UK, and I remember buying some myself from an art/model store in Nottingham when I was there last.

• Fr33Dom likes this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Fr33Dom

Fr33Dom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
Right then I’m gonna have look at both suggestions. Cheers guys

Spiney Norman

Spiney Norman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts

+1 for Contacta in UK. I also find you can clear the needle applicator by heating it with a lighter so might be worth trying that before you buy a replacement.

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,218 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Tears

PI00000079430.jpg

You can get literally anything and everything from amazon even if you can't find it in a hobby store. I'm in the UK and I have that exact glue sitting in front of me.

• Flame Boy, Marshal Loss and Fr33Dom like this

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

NovemberIX

NovemberIX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 935 posts
  • Faction: November Warriors
On a really slightly moronic side note, my solution to the blocked metal tube isssue was to remove it from the bottle, hold it in a pair of needle nose pliers and apply flame. On one hand it does make for a slightly entertaining display and irked in incredibly well, on the other I can’t imagine the fumes being good to inhale.

Bung

Bung

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 368 posts
If those small metal tubes block, just take a lighter and hold it to the tip.
This will burn out the plastic glue blocking it.
Noneedto purchase another bottle.
  • GreyRavenC, dicebod and Fr33Dom like this

feuer_faust

feuer_faust

+ADEPTUS DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,378 posts
  • Faction: CSM, SM
testors

Testor's Model Master is my go-to. Thin, metal applicator, and comes with wires to clear up the occasional blockage.

• Kinstryfe, Knight of Lupus and The Nephilim like this
It's a secret to everybody.

Flame Boy

Flame Boy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,092 posts

If those small metal tubes block, just take a lighter and hold it to the tip.
This will burn out the plastic glue blocking it.
Noneedto purchase another bottle.

My pot blocks up so often that I have permanent scorch marks on the end of the tube. It's a handy bit of real world inspiration when I want to paint muzzle burn on weapons. :P

• Semper Fortis likes this

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,016 posts

I've had multiple people tell me to take a cigarette lighter to the tube to clear blockages, but it doesn't work so well when 1) you don't smoke, 2) you don't want to do it in the kitchen on the hob, and 3) you're paranoid about fumes.

What I have been able to do is find some very fine wire (0.315mm copper wire from Maplin) and use that to push the solidified glue out. Depending on the wire it may buckle as you push, but if you use a long pair of needle pliers you can feed it through.

I've used Humbrol before and seemed to be on a par with the GW stuff. Although I've not used Revell brand I have seen it in the UK in branches of Hobbycraft.

• elmo and Omnissiahs Fury like this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 349 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
I'm in UK and get the revel contacta glue all over. Easy to find.
If the tube gums up I use the gas hob to burn it clean. Takes a second, barely a smell.

Edited by Aramis K, 14 April 2018 - 03:38 PM.

• Fr33Dom likes this
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 459 posts
Like Mr_parker said, I use a fine copper rod to unblock the metal tube when it gets blocked, if I recall correctly it is a pinning rod from greenstuffworld, the smallest diameter (I use GW plastic glue, haven't really tried anything else since I most often use cyanoacrylate).

Edited by Elzender, 14 April 2018 - 04:41 PM.

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,552 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion, Dark Mechanicus

Aaaand, the brush that is built into the cap of Tamyia Extra Thin never needs to be unclogged with a lighter and/or other methods. Additionally, you can use the brush to not only control how much glue to apply, but also to smooth surfaces with a small amount of glue brushed over it, or fill gaps by softening the plastic into a 'soup' and then working it with the brush to refine it and close the gap. I've used adhesives with needle applicators in the past and never liked the lack of control of how much adhesive I can add when I'm trying to be very careful, and what options I can employ once the adhesive is in place. Naturally, it's completely subjective but I've found the brush applicator easier to use, offering more control, and more options of how to work with the glue as you apply it.

• Disruptor_fe404, The Nephilim, Elzender and 1 other like this

Nostrum nomen est Legio, pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion, for we are many.
mA8H0hu.pngjrkeVZI.png

Calyptra

Calyptra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 525 posts
  • Faction: Dark Eldar

Testor's Model Master is my go-to. Thin, metal applicator, and comes with wires to clear up the occasional blockage.

This is the glue I use as well. I couldn't say if it's the best, but I think it's so good that I have zero motivation to try to find something better. It does everything I think it should.
  • Knight of Lupus likes this
gallery_30308_9518_10445.pnggallery_30308_9518_5763.png
My project logs:
Drug-Crazed Space Elves
Stupid Humans
You can find me on Instagram twice! Hobby stuff and art/circus stuff

Radiation

Radiation

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 272 posts
  • Faction: + Doom Slayers +

Tamiya extra thin is very good stuff.

gallery_77459_13226_2824.png + DOOM SLAYER +  http://www.bolterand...5-doom-slayers/  There is only war.

Fr33Dom

Fr33Dom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
Managed to get the revell glue at a model railway shop in town today. So I take back not seeing it in the UK

Knight of Lupus

Knight of Lupus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,059 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Dark Angels

I recommend this product very highly.  It's what I've been using for many, many years.  It flows nicely, the applicator is very precise and it's easy to handle.

"Heed not the whispers in the gloom, or the rantings of madmen, for they will attempt to beguile you.
Cleave to your training, for heretics speak naught but lies and damnations.  Let thy weapons speak in answer."

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,372 posts
I have a thin piece of guitar wire that I poke down the metal tube when it blocks.

I use the revell contacta, available in the UK, hasn't let me down.
  • Semper Fortis likes this

Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

++ ÆDIFICATOR BARBATOS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,403 posts

I must be the odd one out, as I use EMA Model Supplies Plastic Weld, and apply it with a small synthetic brush. This stuff will melt a wide range of hard styrene plastics together, and is as thin as alcohol so it gets into even very small joints without gunging them up.

Like Subtle Discord says, you can also work the stuff with the brush over joins to simply make them disappear. You know those awful old plastic kits like the Catachans and Chaos Marauders, and the newer snap-fit Khorne Blood Reavers? By using this stuff and a brush, I have made invisible arm-to-torso joints without the use of putty. cool.png

My #1 top tip if you go for a plastic weld product like this is to use a generous piece of poster tack to stick the bottle to your worktop when you open it - it avoids accidental mishaps like knocking the bottle over (this stuff will dissolve protective tablecloths, varnish, lacquer, etc., so don't spill it! And yes, I did spill it once; that's how I know...).

Edited by Major_Gilbear, 15 April 2018 - 04:11 PM.
Product link added

• The Putrid One and Fr33Dom like this
My Dark Angels 5th Company Painting Log (NB: images are now all fixed!)

Knight of Lupus

Knight of Lupus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,059 posts
  • Faction: Custodes, Dark Angels

Like Subtle Discord says, you can also work the stuff with the brush over joins to simply make them disappear. You know those awful old plastic kits like the Catachans and Chaos Marauders, and the newer snap-fit Khorne Blood Reavers? By using this stuff and a brush, I have made invisible arm-to-torso joints without the use of putty. cool.png

I've done that from time to time - but the best way is to apply a thin bead to both surfaces to be joined, give it a moment to work, and then press the parts together as tight as you can.  This should create a bead of melted plastic along the join - and when it's dry it's no different than a mold line.  Once you scrape/sand/file it down, it's literally a single piece of plastic.

It's a technique that is used by larger-scale plastic model builders, and personally I find it easiest to do with a needle applicator on this small scale.

"Heed not the whispers in the gloom, or the rantings of madmen, for they will attempt to beguile you.
Cleave to your training, for heretics speak naught but lies and damnations.  Let thy weapons speak in answer."

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts

I must be the odd one out, as I use EMA Model Supplies Plastic Weld, and apply it with a small synthetic brush. This stuff will melt a wide range of hard styrene plastics together, and is as thin as alcohol so it gets into even very small joints without gunging them up.

My #1 top tip if you go for a plastic weld product like this is to use a generous piece of poster tack to stick the bottle to your worktop when you open it - it avoids accidental mishaps like knocking the bottle over (this stuff will dissolve protective tablecloths, varnish, lacquer, etc., so don't spill it! And yes, I did spill it once; that's how I know...).

Another tip I've seen suggested for that particular product is to hotglue or epoxy a small square of wood/mdf to the bottom of the bottle; stops it tipping over, and catches any accidental drips down the side as it is a really 'hot' solvent.

• Venerable Jazzman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users