A Lone Wolf ready to join the Battle

GrFlur

Hi fellows brothers.

First I would like to introduce my self before cutting to the cheese...

As I stated before in the newbie thread (new members) I finally made up my mind and my pocket to join the fight.

I've been interested in the game since I first saw it arriving to my local shop but ... no money, no joy. 

So here I am, with memories of the 2nd and 3rd Editions willing to be an active part of the best Chapter.

I must say I'm not fan of the Fenrisian Wolves, Wolven and Cavalry, I'm more of a "traditional guy" kind. 

All this been said, I'm GrFlur "Stormming" TwoClouds. A lone wolf ready to join the battle :wink:

I have lots and lots and ¡for Russ! lots of questions so if I may, I would like to use this topic to be my "Journal" if it's possible.

So let it begins.

- What happened to the Leman Russ Exterminator wich we could use long time ago and our chapter was so proud of? Can we use it in the 8th edition? (Index: Imperium1 doesn't list it for marines or us)

- I've decided to start working in a full Long Fangs unit ( 5 long Fangs, Pack Leader and Wolf Pack Leader) with all 5 different heavy weapons so in the long run I'm going to need 5 units like this one if I want to run a 5 Fangs unit with the same weaponry. No points restrictions here, just possibilites ¿Thoughts?

Thanks to all who spend some time here reading my words in my bad english.

May the Allfather bless you with a Battle alongside Russ!

Welcome brother. I've been a long time away from these halls and the lay of the land has changed greatly. So don't think you'll be the only one asking questions!!!

The only daft question is the unasked one. ;)

- What happened to the Leman Russ Exterminator wich we could use long time ago and our chapter was so proud of? Can we use it in the 8th edition? (Index: Imperium1 doesn't list it for marines or us)

They are not available as Space Wolves or Marines units (they are in Index Imperium 2), however you may field them as Imperial Guard units. Unless however you use them in a separate Guard detachment, you lose some benefits you would otherwise have for your Space Wolves and the Guard. I suggest you read up on army building in the rulebook. If you have specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

- I've decided to start working in a full Long Fangs unit ( 5 long Fangs, Pack Leader and Wolf Pack Leader) with all 5 different heavy weapons so in the long run I'm going to need 5 units like this one if I want to run a 5 Fangs unit with the same weaponry. No points restrictions here, just possibilites ¿Thoughts?

That is a lot of mostly stationary marines. I don't think you want to field all off them at once. I suggest you magnetize the arms to have options which heavy weapon they are going to use.

Thanks to all who spend some time here reading my words in my bad english.

I didn't notice that you aren't a native speaker, except for the inverted question mark before "Thoughts?". That is a typically Spanish (not sure if it exists in Portuguese as well) thing, we do not do that in English.

I am pretty sure we can't use the russ tanks anymore. (Though, in 8th edition, if you wanted to, you could do something like: use 2 detachments, one space wolves and one imperial guard, and put some russ tanks in the guard detachment, and paint them up as kaerls or something and just say they are space wolf forces and not guard...)

For the long fangs, you can do that if you like. But I wouldn't prioritize in that way, myself, in terms of buying and painting stuff (which rate limits you pretty hard). I think you can get heavy weapons "bits" on ebay and make a matched squad, if you want one. e.g. you could buy 3 or 4 sets of space marine lascannon bits, and then make a lascannon squad. Then save the rest of your (mismatched/non-lascannon) heavy weapons for the next time you want to make a long fang squad.

I've had the most success with the really-long-range weapons -- lascannons and missile launchers. Whenever I've used the shorter range guys, they are too close to the enemy and get killed quickly. I don't know if that's a real pattern or just me. But I would do lascannons first.

It seems like the most common way to get running would be to make a small (500-750pt maybe) army that fits into a patrol detachment. So, you would need at least one HQ unit (wolf lord or rune priest or something) and at least one troops unit (grey hunters or blood claws). Then some other stuff to fill in the points, like your long fangs.

I'm not great at this myself, but I think that you could make a reasonably strong army that doesn't offend your aesthetics by putting the grey hunters in twin assault cannon razorback(s), and supporting them with long fangs. You could also give razorbacks for the long fangs if you wanted more. The razorbacks and troops do anti-infantry well, and the lascannons or missile launchers can do anti-armor. You could maybe do the HQ as a battle leader who hangs out near the long fangs to give them reroll-1-to-wound and can break off to fight any infantry who go after them. Or maybe a wolf lord to give reroll-1-to-hit to nearby razorbacks and hunters. Or maybe a rune priest to be sort of more fun. I don't know.

I don't know if any of that helps. Have fun!

I am pretty sure we can't use the russ tanks anymore. (Though, in 8th edition, if you wanted to, you could do something like: use 2 detachments, one space wolves and one imperial guard, and put some russ tanks in the guard detachment, and paint them up as kaerls or something and just say they are space wolf forces and not guard...)

You can if you run an IMPERIUM detachment. But as I said, this will remove access to Space Wolf and Imperial Guard Stratagems and Relics. While those do not exist for the Space Wolves yet, I would not build an Army like that, since the Space Wolves will get them as soon as the Codex is out.

The rest is spot on.

I forgot to mention using mismatched weapons in units is not as bad as it used to be. Every unit can shoot at multiple targets. So you could shoot at a tank with the lascannons and at Infantry with the Frag missiles/heavy bolter/Plasma Cannon.

Welcome brother!

A bit of advice that I wish i had had at the start is mix spacecwolf boxes and the basic tac narine box when building your army. More bits for more joy and allied you to spread the bling a bit.

As to your other question, you can always hit ebay for the heavy weapon bit to keep from having to buy 5 boxes of the regular long fangs. EBay is a good place for bits in general.

Welcome to the Rout  brother!

I am also new to the Wolves and am still figuring things out. You'll find the rest of the Wolves here helpful and supportive of your efforts.

We look forward to seeing how  you progress.

Again, welcome!

Small but important correction, even if you take a non SW imperial unit like a Russ, you can still use the SW stratagems, just not on the non-SW unit. Similarly you could still take a krakenbone sword as long as the warlord is a SW.

It’d be our non-existent chapter tactic that would go away.

Small but important correction, even if you take a non SW imperial unit like a Russ, you can still use the SW stratagems, just not on the non-SW unit. Similarly you could still take a krakenbone sword as long as the warlord is a SW.

This is true at the moment, however that will change if the codex is released and it works like C:SM:

If your army is Battle-forged and includes any Space Marines Detachments (excluding Auxiliary Support Detachments), you have access to the Stratagems shown here, and can spend Command Points to activate them.

A detachment containing Space Wolf (Space Marine) and Imperial Guard units is not a Space Wolf (Space Marine) detachment and cannot use Space Wolf (Space Marine) stratagems

Hi guys! 

Thanks a lot for the warm and fuzz and furs and Valkyeries, jeje

My question about the Leman Russ Exterminator is more about the history / roleplay than if I can use it ... I've read the rules about creating armies and I aw that I can't use it in a 100% Wolves army

In other order of business ...

What do you think about magnets? I guess It's worth the effort in vehicles, dreadnoughts and wolf guard pack leaders. I've read above that long fans could use some magnets for them too, mine are half-metal so no magnets there for my first ones. 

All opinions and hintsare welcome!

I'd say anything with more than one weapon choice is worth the magnets. Even if you do not plan on using more than one choice, maybe the meta or the rules change that you feel another choice works better.

I mag everything can as long for all the reasons Quincy’s stated, I’ll even add transportation. As it doesn’t make it unreasonably fiddley it’s well worth the effort to save time, money and the greater effort.

Looks good for a first start. That isn't a flamer though, it is a meltagun.

Ah right the Space Wolf box still has the hands on the arm bit and not on the weapon. You might get a better connection if you severed the arms at the wrist and glued the hands to the weapons and put the magnets in the wrist and hands. Alternatively if you have enough arms, just magnetize the arms at the shoulder, like you did with the melee weapons.

I'm going nuts trying to calculate the points for a Long Fangs unit

Long Fangs  - Check (60)

Heavy weapons - Check (81)

- LassCannon 

- Missile Launcher 

- Plasma Cannon 

- Heavy Bolter 

- Long Fang Pack Leader boltgun + Bolt Pistol + chainsword - Check (points?)

How many costs the LongFang Pack leader?

- Wolf Guard Pack Leader -- No check

Is the Wolf Guard Pack leader the same as the Wolf Guard Battle Leader ?

If I missed some page with points values, please refer it to me :blush.:

Every model costs the same without equipment. Then add the wargear.

Your calculation is off since Chapter approved. Cost per model has been reduced. So it is 5* model cost + heavy weapon cost + Pack leader equipment cost (we are not allowed to post costs for individual items).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I figured out some sort of a 2k army

Spearhead detachment + Batalion detachment

HQ

Ragnar Blackmane   141  

Njal StormCaller Terminator Armour 153  

Arjac RockFist   140    

Rune Priest Psychid Hood, Runic Stave, Bolt Pistol 103 - Not Sure about this one  

HEAVY SUPPORT (x3)

Long Fang LassCannon    

Long Fang Missile Launcher    

Long Fang Plasma Cannon    

Long Fang Heavy Bolter    

Pack Leader Chainsaw,Boltgun,bolt pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades    

Wolf Guard Pack Leader Chainsaw,bolt pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades           165

ELITES (x2)

Pack Leader in Terminator Armour Frost Axe, Storm Shield    

Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour Frost Axe, Storm Shield    

Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour Frost Axe, Storm Shield           205

INFANTRY

BLOOD CLAWS (x2)

Blood Claw Chainsaw,bolt pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades     

Pack Leader Chainsaw,bolt pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades           117

GREY HUNTERS (x2)

Grey Hunter Chainsaw,Boltgun,Plasma pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades     

Grey Hunter Chainsaw,Boltgun,bolt pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades    

Pack Leader Chainsaw,Boltgun,bolt pistol, frag grenades, Krak Grenades           72

DEDICATED TRANSPORT (x2) Not sure about the 2nd one

Drop Pod Storm Bolter 85

Apart of not been sure about the Rune Priest and the second Drop Pod ...

I would like for this list to be an all-around type of army. Point beeing ... I never played a single turn, all I've done up to now is read the rules and watch some battles over the youtube :/

The idea that I based this army is to try to get the Blood claws + ragnar  in one pod (so thats why there is only 8+1 BC in each squad)

So when I see the other army I can decide to go with GH on the other pod, the Blood Claws or even put one of the Long fangs with some love

The termies will drop forming a shield to cover the DropPods guys trying to ensure they arrive where they should or the other Close combat units do not destroy them

What do you think guys? I'm in the right direction? Or Did I have too much grog and now I'm over my head?

Hi Grflur.

I don't want to confuse you with what's going on with 8th edition rules now, especially with the recent FAQ. But i think instead of going Drop Pod, try to think of using rhinos and Razorbacks to transport your Blood Claws and Grey Hunters first. I'm sad to say that the recent rules as it is, you can no longer drop pod your blood claws + Ragnar anywhere you want on Turn 1, . On Turn 1, you can only pod in your own deployment zone.

Only on Turn 2 can you drop pod any part of the table, barring the nine inch away from enemy unit restriction.

Drop pod tactics as you know it,  I'm sad to say has been almost destroyed due to that rule. Also as you notice, the pod cost is also extremely high and eats your points.

Traditional Rhino and Razorback rush still works beautifully, especially those with twin assault cannons.

As for the rest of your list, well, I guess it is ok if you're not playing competitive people, the only other thing is that you have too many special characters like Arjac, Njal and Ragnar which are huge cost investment that could be used to give you more weapons. 

Let me give you my example of what I usually bring in my list @ 2000 points

1 Wolf Lord on bike (reroll 1s to hit)

1 Wolf Guard battle leader (reroll 1s to wound)

1 Rune Priest on bike (for casting spells)

3-4 Grey Hunter Squads with six man each, either armed with melta combi melta, or plasma combi plasma.

3-4 Rhinos or Razorbacks, depending if you want full squads of Grey hunters, or small 6 man squads of Grey Hunters

3 squads of Long Fangs, mix and match weapons, but generally at least 3 Lascannons in between 3 of them or 1 per squad

This will still leave you about 200 points, in which case you can decide something else. For balance between Guns and Punches, I recommend a dreadnought for a tough gun platform to supplement the Long Fangs, or as some people like, Axe Shield Dreadnought to march forward with your Rhinos/razorbacks. You could try Wulfen but this list is not optimized for close combat.

It's not that I want to discourage you using Blood claws, but until we have a strategem that improves the movement speed, charge range or able to pull of reliable charges, Blood Claws can't pull their weight, especially with their not so good shooting.

Hope this helps.

Unless you already have the models I'd suggest you start with a smaller army and get a few games under your belt, see what works for you and what doesn't and then expand on those units.

I'd make the load out of the Long Fangs more uniform, like one squad with lascannons against vehicles, one with heavy bolters against hordes one with plasma cannons against heavy infantry. While you can focus the lascannon of more than one squad on a vehicle and the other weapons on other targets, it might be more difficult to draw line of sight from multiple squads to one target. Missile launchers aren't really great in this edition.

Especially for Long Fangs it is always a good idea to magnetize the heavy weapons. You never know which weapons will be needed later.

@New Deep Strike Rule: The rule is in beta. We do not know how it will turn out in the end. A good idea may be to complain to GW about the rule's implications. Additionally the rule only applies to matched games, even if it does not change.

Another voice here for holding out on the drop pod, if for no other reason than making it clear to GW that not a single one has been sold since beta announcements.

Quixus gives good advice though, start smaller then add as needed. Grab a pack or two for GH or BC, try them then supplement. I don't recall whether you were new to the hobby or just wolves, but its super common to get a eyes bigger than stomach situation and then realize how much work or painting you have to do then sort of.......fade away.....

My small 1000 point start up Battalion army suggestion

Wolf lord 

Wolf Guard battle leader

Rune Priest

6 man Grey Hunter squad either armed with plasma or melta

2 Twin assault cannon razorbacks

1 Long Fang squad

with this basic list, kit them anyway you want. The CC aspect is not every strong, I normally leave that duty to the 3 HQs, the Lord will have a Thunder hammer at least while I give the rune priest an axe and combi melta. Then the rest... dakka dakka dakka at mid range. One thing for certain, the Twin assault cannon have to be carefully deployed to fire at least once per turn. With the rerolls 1, even on the move you should get about 9/12 shots off. and with the reroll to wound from Battle leader, you should kill 5 MEQs per turn.

WORK IN PROGRESS

There are drums beyond the mountains and they are getting Mighty near

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/289124-space-wolves-great-company-creation-tables/

PART ONE: THE WOLF LORD
In the Space Wolves, Great Companies change hands often. As one Wolf Lord falls and adds his name-stone to the Grove of Heroes, his successor reinvents the Great Company in his own image. His heraldry becomes their heraldry, his tactics become the company's tactics. In essence, the Wolf Lord is your Great Company personified in a single astartes.

WHEN WAS THE GREAT COMPANY FOUNDED?
Most Wolf Lords have reigned for no longer than a few centuries at best. A rare few may have risen to power in ages ago, were lost to a tragic warp accident, and re-emerged in the modern era to fight again.

07: 600-699.M41

WHAT ARE YOUR WOLF LORD'S ORIGINS?
All men of Fenris are known for their ferocity, but it takes a truly exceptional warrior to draw the interest of the Sky Warriors. What was it about your Wolf Lord that lead to him be selected as a Space Wolf?

(09): Lone Hunter

Lone Hunter: You have never felt like one of the tribe. Only when hunting in solitude, pitting yourself against the great beasts of Fenris, did you find contentment. After acquiring an impressive collection of pelts and skulls, you encountered a tall stranger who saw promise in your skills, and offered you a chance to stalk the monsters lurking in the stars above. How could you refuse?

WHAT ARE YOUR WOLF LORD'S DEEDS OF LEGEND?
The Space Wolves do not adhere to a chain of command, they honor bravery. A Space Wolf does not become a Jarl because some codex says he was due a promotion, he seizes glory with deeds worthy of song. What did your Wolf Lord accomplish to earn his title?

(06): Lion Tamer

Lion Tamer: The rivalry between the Dark Angels and the Space Wolves is ten thousand years old. Whenever these two Chapters meet, a champion is chosen from each to satisfy honor in a duel. You were chosen, and defeated your opponent. Though your Dark Angels counterpart grudgingly accepted your prowess, the Sons of Russ have added your name to the list of warriors who have put the Sons of the Lion in thier place.

CANIS GENE-SEED PURITY
The Space Wolves' gene-seed is tainted (or blessed) by the canis helix, which grants the Sons of Russ superhuman senses (even for astartes) and a predator's ferocity in combat. But sometimes an initiate's wolf-blood burns white-hot in his veins, leading to subtle mutations and in rare cases the curse of the Wulfen.

(08-09): Mean

Mean: You came out of your initiation stronger, but meaner. You are even more likely to shirk authority than your fellow Space Wolves, and fight according to your own beliefs. The other Wolf Lords find you odd, but most respect your desire for greater freedom. Roll on the Wolf Lord Flaws table, below.

WOLF LORD FLAWS
If you rolled Mean, Savage or Feral on the Canis Gene-seed Purity Table, your Wolf Lord has developed a personality flaw that makes him difficult for the other Space Wolves to get along with. Sometimes this flaw can be beneficial, other times it can be a detriment to you and your Great Company.

07: Loner

Loner: You have a strong desire for solitude. On the battlefield you are more likely to fight alongside a small pack of Wolf Scouts while the rest of your force fights elsewhere--far away elsewhere. At the victory feasts you are a shadow on the wall, well away from the merriment.

PART TWO: THE GREAT COMPANY
A wolf can fight alone, but it takes a pack to win. What traits has your Wolf Lord instilled in your Great Company? What qualities do they share that a Wolf Lord might harness to achieve victory?

GREAT COMPANY BELIEFS
(05-06): Honor the Ancestors

Honor the Ancestors: The Great Company retains a deep reverence for the fallen heroes of the Space Wolves, vowing to sing their songs for all time.

GREAT COMPANY DEMEANOR
If your Wolf Lord rolled Mean, Savage, or Feral on his Canis Gene-seed Purity table, roll on Great Company Demeanor to see how his personality has affected the mentality of his men.

(12): Worthy of Bjorn

Worthy of Bjorn: The Great Company has developed a stubbornness that could match an Imperial Fist. Refusing to give quarter with their foe under any circumstances, they fight on even when it would be more advantageous to retreat. Demanding or Stubborn Wolf Lords can choose Worthy of Bjorn automatically.

HOW CLOSELY DOES YOUR GREAT COMPANY FOLLOW THE CODEX ASTARTES?

(07-09): A book will not fight your war for you.

GREAT COMPANY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT OR UNITS

(04): Long Fangs

GREAT COMPANY STRENGTH

(12): Over Strength (121-200)

GREAT COMPANY ALLIES

(15): Imperial Knight House

GREAT COMPANY ENEMIES

(07): Necrons

PART THREE: CHOOSING YOUR LOOK
Once you've rolled for your new Great Company, you can use the Wolf Lord tables to invent more heroes to round out your Wolf Guard. With the information here it will be fairly easy to come up with a history of mighty battles, victories and defeats to shape your Great Company for the End Times. Then consult the Bolter and Chainsword Space Marine Painter to choose what shade of Space Wolves Grey you want to use for your Great Company, and chose a Space Wolves decal that suits your Wolf Lord's personality. Build it, paint it, and have fun!

I'll work on it slowly. Some dice draws were sweet others were bitter. There is a story to be told. Gather grog and some wodden for the fires.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived