Grand Ilusion Tactics

Hopper21

I've just been reading on old 1d4chan about using I combination of Ctan deceiver,Nemesor Zahndrekh, Vargard Obyron, monolith and tesseract vault.

Although I'm not quite understanding fully how it works yet. It's looks really fun, catapulting an army up the table.

Has any one used it to much success now our book has dropped?

Seems really point heavy and hard to do at 2k.

It's a complete waste of points. You can do much better much easier, honestly. You will have spent close to half your army on trying to get one squad into close combat turn one. Nothing we have is good enough to be worth that. You also wouldn't need the monolith at all, you could Grand Illusion Zandrekh 12" away, walk forward and Obyron uses Ghostmantle then. The monolith is redundant.

Better uses of the deceiver are dumping a couple troops units on the front line. Necrons are dangerous enough that 20 warriors in their face will soak a ton of firepower to avoid losing vulnerable units - 40 or 60 even more so (or 20 odd Immortals).

If you really want a turn one charge, consider alternatives: Nephrekh Wraiths can advance 18" and still charge for 1cp. Most deployment options have you 24" away from each other, so if they have anything on the front line it's very likely to get hit by that 6" charge (really, 5" since you can land 1" away). Wraiths are probably tougher and more dangerous than anything Obyron could get in anyway since he can only bring Sautekh Infantry (so, lychguard or flayed ones).

Alternatively, if you just have a lot of deep strike. One deep striker isn't likely to make it in. 2 isn't reliable either. But if you have 2 shooty units in their face from Grand Illusion, deep strike flayed ones and Veil some lychguard, that puts tons of pressure on them and they won't be able to deal with it all. You'd probably spend less points on all this than you would the 1d4chan strategy anyway.

Ultimately, I think 1d4chan is not a good source for ideas. They present everything in extremes that aren't accurate, saying one unit is garbage because of an arbitrary flaw and an equivalent unit is brokenly OP because they have such and such potential that relies on perfect rolls.

Ultimately, I play my necrons very aggressively and it often works, but none of our CC is worth dropping 1000 points on a gimmick to get them in. Especially when the same gimmick can do a lot more damage by playing to our strengths!

I confess that 4chan is my go-to source for getting the “street level” perspective on factions or aspects of the game I need to brush up on. Aka how That Guy is likely to abuse something. That being said, as Tyriks pointed out, you really need to take their stuff with a grain of salt. They tend to think highly of themselves and their own ideas to the exclusion of all else. Buyer beware.

Archived