Drop pods

TheAlchemist

The Inquisition have useful psychic powers and are a cheaper source of Smite.

Eisenhorn and Greyfax are excellent units.

In my example, I was using the librarians to buff marines, something Inquisition can't do. The Smite factory was only a secondary tactic for support.

No denying the Inquisition does the pure Smite cheaper.

Oh yeah I totally get that. I simply find the buff the Librarius powers provide to be pretty meaningless.

The best thing is Tiggy's -1 to hit ability but it's Ultramarine exclusive unfortunately.

Nope, the “authority of the inquisition” special rule let’s them to embark any imperial vehicle, so it can be done.

Ah okay, didn't know about that rule. Nevermind then. ^^

You know, if GW change Pods so they can arrive on turn 1 near the enemy, in some limited capacity at least, that would make them an interesting proposition again.

Yeah for sure. Together with the interception protection they could even be worth their points again. However we might just see a return of drop pod spam and no other form of deep strike again like in 7th which would suck as well.

Yeah, also deepstriking in 7th was a much riskier affair than it is now which led to some of the spamming of pods. Now the pods take up a lot of space compared to just the unit deepstriking which is a big issue with the 9 inch rule, so I don’t think we’d return to things like drop pod assault armies. Other forms of deep strike would still be a viable alternative, even with the big nerf they’ve just taken.

In 7th I fell in love with drop pod assaults, unfortunately drop pods are too overpriced in this edition.

How many drop pods can you put into a list before they begin to hinder your build?

0. Drop pods, especially after the FAQ, aren't worth their weight in plastic anymore.

I'm with ishagu on this one. I would gladly take a mix to 7th & 8th edition pod. Deployment range 3-6 and choice of shooting or charge / fight; with transports keywords outlined from 8th and reserves limitations of match play of 8th. No pod spamming but close enough to deploy and do some damage power armoured units.

Surely that would make for a better unit and play experience for all parties? It could be Something far more useable in match play than we have right now.

I'll play devils advocate here 7th edition pods where not broken nore under costed. The Gladius strike force did that with the transport & usr rules. We have a new core rule set with a unit that feels like its being judged for its legacy in 7th. Of course I do not expect people to agree with my opinion.

Ignoring 7th Edition...

Drop Pods can be made to be a solid choice if they have some limits removed for such deployment moves. I consider that being able to deploy within say 3" or 6" but cannot charge that turn, even if they have to arrive turn 2 onwards like everyone else to get into an opponent's deployment zone.

I'd pay about 45pts for that. Not more since Sternguard Bolters don't get any benefit.

Honestly, Drop Pods should arrive like the Mawloc.

When it arrives set it up more than 1" away from any enemy models and more than 6" away from other reserves of yours that turn. Roll 1d6 for each enemy unit within 2". 1 nothing happens, 2-3 1 Mortal Wound, 4-5 1d3 Mortal wounds, 6 3 Mortal wounds. No charging that turn.

And to prevent people taking them to spam just the Mortal wounds make it so that you have to embark at least one unit in there.

Man, that would make DP almost broke :tongue.:

Totally worth it.

Haha maybe. The Mawloc does cost 104p without any transport capacity and no ranged weapons after all which is about 20p more than naked Drop Pod. Then again I don't know about anybody who takes them so it can't be that good. :P

That's too many Mortal Wounds and I don't think anything should override 1st turn limitations.

But I'd settle for 40pts a Pod that allows units to deploy within 6" but not charge.

Less is more with rules changes. ;)

That's too many Mortal Wounds and I don't think anything should override 1st turn limitations.

But I'd settle for 40pts a Pod that allows units to deploy within 6" but not charge.

Less is more with rules changes. :wink:

Why do you think it's too many Mortal wounds? I basically copied the rule from the Mawloc 1:1 (with slight changes) ... or were you replying to Ishagus suggestion? In that case forget I said anything. :P

My suggestion isn't too many at all. 1+D3 is basically 3 guardsmen or 1 primaris marine you eliminate lol.

Savvier opponents won't let you land nearest the most important stuff.

You're far better off getting a supreme command detachment of 3 Inquisitors and putting them in the Pod.

And Inquisitors are the same cost as librarians on foot if I am remembering correctly. At least they are the same as Primaris which cannot use drop pods. :p So maybe that won't work. They are the same price as DeathWatch librarians though I was thinking of dropping in like 8 librarians on someone for some good ole smite spam. But the new smite rule is really rough against that.

Archived