Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wow Sanguinary Guard ARE good!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Blackcadian

Blackcadian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
Alright, I admit it - even though quite a few of you reported good results with the Sanguinary Guard, even going as far as dropping the Death Company completely for them I just wasn’t convinced. I looked at the price and the 2 attacks and was like - how can they possibly work?

But, after reading yet another post, I think in the unit of the week thread I caved in and got myself another 5.

Well, I finally got to test drive them last Saturday vs Astra M and vs AdMech.

Vs AM it was a smaller game, just 1000 pts and I thought for sure my army would end up being way too elite, but I was hellbent on trying my new SG! Added Captain Smush, Mephiston, The Sanguinor, an Ancient with the banner and 3x5 scouts.

Opponent with 3x30 conscripts, 2 Russes and a Chimera with Flamer vets. And Valhalla chapter tactics. What the hell haha!

Overall in this game I went through about 170 bodies with what I had, and my plus 1 attack aura and unleash rage was used very poorly due to positioning. Mephiston was killed quickly after almost murdering a Russ in melee. I think 5 SG were left at the end of the game, they were SO durable! Never got to use the banner btw as the Ancient got shot by a Russ the turn he came down. So yeah, in the end my opponent just ran out of CPs to recycle his squads and once I was able to hit his Russes it was gg. Did I mention all SGs had power fists? Hitting the conscripts on 4s ugh 😂

Game 2 vs AdMech went a little smoother. 1500 pts this time, same list as before but a Libby dread instead Mephiston. Interrcessors, a TAC Squad, a QuadHB and a Priest to round it out.

Opponent had: 3x Onager (Neutron, Skyfire, Skyfire), 10 EPriests, 2 Dakka Kastellans, 4 Grav Destroyers, some chaff and 4 HQs.

Priests, Kastellans and Destroyers all deep-striking.

This time FINALLY I got first turn for once!!!

Forlorn Furied my Captain and went all out alpha on the cyber freaks. Captain charged an Onager and his Warlord, jumping over his screen. Knocked his WL right out. Wanted to use the stratagem for 3D6 on the SGuard but after my shooting phase there was nothing in range haha! Libby dread made a 12” charge. Priest charged something over a building.

Then his reserves came in. Obviously as far away as possible, and played his +1 to hit stratagem. EVERYTHING fired at the SGuard. When the dust settled I had lost 3 of them. Have to run the numbers on that, my opponent was pretty dishearted though. Not as dishearted as when I picked up my remaining SG and deep struck them again in charge range of his big robots though!

Sooo yeah, after I made the subsequent charge on the Kastellans it was basically gg. My Captain, the dread and Sanguinor made their way through his army from on flank and the SG from the other.

TLDR:
1. SG are great, durable, and 2 attacks aren’t bad
2. Going first is still amazing
3. Why does the Libby dread cost more than Mephiston? :( Will probably bring him instead next time.

Edited by Blackcadian, 16 April 2018 - 11:50 AM.

• Xenith and Karhedronuk like this

Karhedronuk

Karhedronuk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,404 posts

TLDR:
1. SG are great, durable, and 2 attacks aren’t bad

I have been hesitating for that exact reason but I have a squad going through the paintshop now so I hope to give them a chance soon. Who was your warlord? My impression is that these guys need to leverage their "Heirs of Azkellon" rule to be effective but reading your batreps suggests this is not the case?

2. Going first is still amazing

Yup. It is possible to win after going second but it is an uphill struggle.

3. Why does the Libby dread cost more than Mephiston? sad.png Will probably bring him instead next time.

Libby Dread has T7, more wounds, can pack a melta gun and does 3 Damage in CC rather than D3. Mephy is great, I regularly run him (partly due to having no Libby Dread) but I would not go so far as to say it is a no-brainer.
  • Blackcadian likes this

Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Xerxus

Xerxus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts

Yes, I think their advantage over DC lies in the fact that they can survive a light breeze whereas the DC tend to drop like flies. A good alpha strike is pointless if your opponent still gets to kill you efficiently in return.

I agree that Mephiston is a noticeably better deal than the Libby Dread, whoever gave that thing three attacks made a big mistake.

Bremon

Bremon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 220 posts
You need to leverage their 2W/2+. 2 attacks is bad, and they desperately need +1 attack. They’ve done great things for me, but also crumpled like paper in a few scenarios where I didn’t get Unleash Rage off.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,790 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Luckily we have enough ways to give them +1A. Their own rules and our psychic power. Also a Stratagem that lets them fight an additional time if needed. Plasma is still a problem tho. Sure they have a 5+ save against it, but the additional wound doesn't really matter due the multi-damage profile.

Things change a lot with the relic banner nearby tho.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpg

Blackcadian

Blackcadian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

@Karhedronuk

Sorry, the quote function doesn't seem to work for some reason, and neither does copy paste -.- :cussty old browser is annoying.

Anway, yes, you read that correctly - I almost completely failed to provide any buff for the SGuard, even though I really wanted to and that was the plan. But as they say, plans are the first casualties in a battle, and that was the case here, too.

In game 1 I deployed my warlord on my left flank to Forlorn Fury up the board into total cover from the Russes. At the same time the Russes were in the left corner, so I knew that's where I had to get the rest of my hard hitters to. Which in turn meant that not until the last game turn did they actually link back up with him to get the re-rolls. Also they only had the +1 A cast on them once, Mephy died to early. And the +1 A aura from the Sanguinor was out of range until last turn, too, as I needed him to take down the Russ that Mephy had almost killed before.

So, a perfect storm of non-synergy haha!

And it was pretty much the same in Game 2. I deep struck them all together and in range of everything, but had to relocate them with Wings of Fire due to the Kastellans and Destroyers coming down so far away. So again, no buffs.

And they STILL did really well! And I wouldn't say my opponents had bad lists.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users