Thousand Sons and the spring FAQ

Nym

So... The April / Spring FAQ is up (or about to be) and they've already disclosed a lot of details about it on Facebook. Let's talk !

SMITE

The "beta" rules for Smite have been changed slightly, for the better. Firstly, it doesn't affect mini-smite (GK, Daemons or TS squad versions of Smite). Secondly, it now increases Warp Charge cost instead of giving a penalty to the casting roll, which means that it doesn't prevent high rolls anymore (rolling 11+) and doesn't make our spells easier to dispell.

Overall, it's a great change.

BATAILLONS (and Brigades)

Bataillon detachments now give 5CP, and Brigades 12CP. For those of us who used to bring 2 Bataillons, it's a real blessing. It also makes our Helm of the Third Eye relic even more attractive, as the more CP our opponents have, the more we're likely to regenerate.

I don't know anything yet about army specific point changes, but I think it's safe to say that they've listened pretty well to our remarks (especially on Smite's beta rules).

Whoa. The new version just exempts all Brotherhood of Sorcerers units from the Smite fee? So that would imply ALL of our Smites are exempt from Psychic Focus, and not just mini-smites? Nice.

Yeah that’s my understanding too! We are being recognised as the greatest sorcerers of the galaxy haha!

Q: Can such a unit move or Advance for any other reason e.g. because of an ability such as The Swarmlord’s Hive Commander ability, or because of a psychic power such as Warptime from the Dark Hereticus discipline, or because of a Stratagem like Metabolic Overdrive from Codex: Tyranids, etc.? A: No.

The deepstrike change and this make me fear Tzaangor bomb or similar is dead. Terminators I don't care much for they can come in T2 and still be ok, but finding room for 20-30 Tzaangors T2 and no warptime is not good at all.

Dang it, now I can't play a Fortification as my Warlord! What are we ever going to do, Lord Chaos Bastion?!

I am also amused that they bothered to update the Index: Chaos FAQ; what in there is even still a valid datasheet? The updates seem to effect models that I would've thought would be covered by Codex: CSM or Codex: Chaos Daemons, and it seems odd to update datasheets that I would assume are no longer valid anyway...especially since they tell the Iron Warriors to use the presumably outmoded Index version of the Chaos Lord datasheet for Warsmiths rather than the current one.

Sucks about warptime.

I tell you what though, its making 2 units of warpflamers in rhinos and 1 rubric squad on foot look a LOT better.

True that.

A little disappointing regarding the DS and Warptime changes overall, but not bad for the game as a whole.

Definetly a shakeup.

I laughed out loud at the thought of "Lord Chaos Bastion".

The "new" deep strike rules are beta rules, so that's not much of an issue unless you play at an event where the organizers insist on testing all the beta rules. The change to warp time is fine though. Evens the playing field.

Or even just deep strike the terminators and not worry about the charge, just shoot! That’s what I often do.

That would work, not with the beta rules unless you want 4"movement SOT in your deployment zone turn one.

Could you not dark matter crystal then warp time for the same effect?

Would this rule apply?

Q: If a unit uses a rule that removes them from the battlefield and then sets them up again, such as the Teleport Homer ability or the Gate of Infinity psychic power, does that unit count as having moved for the purposes of moving and firing Heavy weapons?

A: Yes. Treat such units as if they are arriving on the battlefield as reinforcements.

Archived