Spring FAQ is out and it's bad news

Xerxus

From the newly updated codex space marines FAQQ: Can the Auspex Scan Stratagem be used to shoot an enemy unit that is removed from the battlefield and then set up again, for example, when using a teleport homer? A: Yes. 
I believe you can only can only use auspex on units arriving as reinforcements/reserves so unfortunately RaW I think this limits our turn 1 upon wings of fire as well. They Grey knight forum is discussing how it affects their gates of infinity and shunts.

Going to have to disagree with you here Palwatch.

The rules says: "Furthermore, in matched play games, any unit that arrives on the battlefield during a player’s first turn must be deployed wholly within the controlling player’s deployment zone (even if its ability would normally let it be set up anywhere)."

If you are using Upon Wings of Fire, you're leaving and then arriving on the battlefield.  So if that's on your first turn, you're deploying in your deployment zone.  Strike from the Shadows happens BEFORE the game, not during Turn 1, that's the difference.

From the newly updated codex space marines FAQQ: Can the Auspex Scan Stratagem be used to shoot an enemy unit that is removed from the battlefield and then set up again, for example, when using a teleport homer? A: Yes. 

I believe you can only can only use auspex on units arriving as reinforcements/reserves so unfortunately RaW I think this limits our turn 1 upon wings of fire as well. They Grey knight forum is discussing how it affects their gates of infinity and shunts.

Auspex Scan used the term "set up this turn" which can (and is) being argued is different from "arriving." There's also the argument that stratagems take precedence over core rules as they're intended to be able to modify them. To me this seems pretty obvious but apparently it's a lot more contentious than I'd have thought.

Basically the FAQ needs an FAQ because GW wasn't quite careful enough with their verbage.

It's a beta rule.. a very bad beta rule.

Just don't use it. In fact seeing how my group used the Smite beta rule and it STILL changed is even more reason not to use it until an official release.

Shooting has always been the deciding factor for games in my neighborhood. Charging only gave a free shooting phase as well as a chance (I swear I fail 8/10 changes) to fail anyway.

Don't over think it. Just pretend it's not there. 

I'm surprisingly okay with the half the Power level on the board thing (though I forget how much they jump from 1 to 2 models for our good units)

And I even see what they wanted when they wrote up the beta Deepstrike rule..

But man is it ever awful execution of it. 

I would be okay with the deep strike rule if it were outside the opponents Deployement zone, rather than in your own deployement zone. Rule s is makes a first turn deepstrike objectively worse than just deploying normally. 

Finally, I know the way My Meta deals with Beta Rules, I'm stuck with them. On the Plus side, I suppose I can start playing hardmode gunline.

Vanilla update shows that Hellfire Shells and Flakk Missile get two shots off with a cherub; that’s been a point of contention in discussions I’ve seen so, at least that benefits us, and the additional CP help us as well. No update to our FAQ regarding Killshot Baal Preds clarifications, etc. though. I don’t think the DS rules hurt us that much. Doesn’t hurt me anyway. I usually DS turn two, and first turn is used to shred chaff and blow up big stuff.

All of a sudden I think six man intercessors squads are going to be a very valuable thing, along with six man scouts squads.

Why 6-man out of interest? I run 2 each of both Intercessors and Scouts and they are great, I am just curious what it is about 6 in a squad?

All of a sudden I think six man intercessors squads are going to be a very valuable thing, along with six man scouts squads.

Why 6-man out of interest? I run 2 each of both Intercessors and Scouts and they are great, I am just curious what it is about 6 in a squad?

It brings the PL of the entire unit up so you can have more in reserves.

I think he means because the power level will double but the points cost does not increase too much.  Leaving more power level deployed

The rules on Deep Striking will hurt us to some extent but it gives us more reason to use Forlorn Fury and UWOF (even if not on T1). I must admit I am glad of the changes to some extent, so many games end up being an escalating war of Reserves.

Time for something different!

I have read, and re-read the Upon Wings of Fire Stratagem now. I think we still can use this to make our turn 1 charge. If we can, it is massive. Then Bood Angels are almost a top of the food chain army. 

Remember that because the unit is still set-up, and therefore can be shot at, if your opponent takes first turn, I actually think it is as GW intended. Your opponent has the change to redeploy, shoot and do other stuff before you attack. 

I think he means because the power level will double but the points cost does not increase too much. Leaving more power level deployed

Exactly that. 18 points for an additional five power level during deployment seems like a pretty good sell to me.

Archived