Spring FAQ is out and it's bad news

Xerxus

Im happy they stopped Celestine showing up in litterally every imperial tournament-army. Atleast now you have to bring some of her sisters to the battle (if you play with battlebrothers)

Did you guys miss this is the BRB FAQ? I know I did and it's actually quite the game changer for our jump infantry.

Q: When a unit that can Fly declares a charge move against a
unit that is on the upper levels of a ruin, do I need to include
the vertical distance when making the subsequent charge move
for the unit?
A: No. A unit that can Fly effectively ignores vertical
distances when making a charge move. Note though that
the charging unit must still be within 12" (measured
directly ‘base-to-base’, i.e. diagonally) to be able to
declare the charge in the first place.

Did you guys miss this is the BRB FAQ? I know I did and it's actually quite the game changer for our jump infantry.

for the unit?

Woa, thats a pretty huge clarification. (the 12" BtB thing)

for the unit?

Wait so if we measure base to to be over 9” away (at a diagonal) when we deepstrike in, then measure horizontally for our charge distance that means we could deploy an inch away horizontally and nine inches vertically and only need a one inch charge to make it????????? That’s can’t be right? Surely that’s not intended?

for the unit?

Wait so if we measure base to to be over 9” away (at a diagonal) when we deepstrike in, then measure horizontally for our charge distance that means we could deploy an inch away horizontally and nine inches vertically and only need a one inch charge to make it????????? That’s can’t be right? Surely that’s not intended?

They're very clear that this is exactly how it works.

Between this and the changes to the number of CP we get from our Battalions I feel like we're in just as good a place as we were before the FAQ. Possibly even better since I'll be looking at a ridiculous 13 CP for my standard lists.

for the unit?

Yeah that's awesome, but did you read the very next entry as well? I for one have always played it like that but now they clarified that if you can't properly place your model on one of the upper levels of a ruin when charging a unit there then you fail the charge. Means a unit that doesn't leave space for a base on their level of a ruin is immune to charges. ^^

for the unit?

Yeah that's awesome, but did you read the very next entry as well? I for one have always played it like that but now they clarified that if you can't properly place your model on one of the upper levels of a ruin when charging a unit there then you fail the charge. Means a unit that doesn't leave space for a base on their level of a ruin is immune to charges. ^^

I did see the next entry yeah. Their ruling is how I've always played it so I'm not particularly concerned.

Are we agreeing that Celestine is (unfortunately) not out of all Imperial armies? And that we still have access, to the CP-mining detachment in matched play with new beta rules? 

The CP-Miner got nerfed tho.

Grand Strategist works only for your own Stratagems now and Kurov's Aquilla only works if the model is on the field now (the latter being a smaller nerf tho unless you were taking a transport just for him).

I've typed and erased several messages now. My head is hurting.

Over on FLG there's the comment sections are blowing up since apparently the External Playtesters (FLG + tournament organizers) and GW consider "soup" to mean multiple Factions in the same Detachment.

Raise your hands if you consider Soup to mean multiple factions in the same army?

The latter is what my meta considers Soup.

It didn't arrive though. It was already there

Will be interested to see the ruling on it. If WoF is exempt then we are awesome. Suppose that's why it's a beta. Won't be doing this until clarified

I'm a bit late to the party, but I would like to add this little snippet from the main rulebook FAQ (page 6): 

Q: If a unit uses a rule that removes them from the battlefield and then sets them up again, such as the Teleport Homer ability or the Gate of Infinity psychic power, does that unit count as having moved for the purposes of moving and firing Heavy weapons?

A: Yes. Treat such units as if they are arriving on the battlefield as reinforcements.

I've typed and erased several messages now. My head is hurting.

Over on FLG there's the comment sections are blowing up since apparently the External Playtesters (FLG + tournament organizers) and GW consider "soup" to mean multiple Factions in the same Detachment.

Raise your hands if you consider Soup to mean multiple factions in the same army?

The latter is what my meta considers Soup.

Haha yeah I read that new rule and immediately thought "Only on detachment level? So they're repeating the same mistake that made soups so broken in the first place? GW really never learns lol" :D

It didn't arrive though. It was already there

Will be interested to see the ruling on it. If WoF is exempt then we are awesome. Suppose that's why it's a beta. Won't be doing this until clarified

I'm a bit late to the party, but I would like to add this little snippet from the main rulebook FAQ (page 6): 

Q: If a unit uses a rule that removes them from the battlefield and then sets them up again, such as the Teleport Homer ability or the Gate of Infinity psychic power, does that unit count as having moved for the purposes of moving and firing Heavy weapons?

A: Yes. Treat such units as if they are arriving on the battlefield as reinforcements.

There's also another FAQ entry that states you can use intercept rules like the T'au EWO and our Auspex Scan Stratagem work on units set up like that as well ... and those effects specifically talk about units being set up as reinforcements. GW clearly intents units being removed from the board and set up like that to follow the same rules as units from reinforcements. ^^

Interesting. That does clear it up. I've been looking at some of the blowback from this on the FB page. The mods are actively suggesting ignoring the beta. I will be. It seems poorly thought out. Scouts screening ability will be pointless. The non DS army will have 2 turns in theory to shut down the board to that one elite DS unit that your army relies on. It's a bit mad. Not only are BA players incensed but GK DA players very upset.

Scout screens aren't "useless" but yeah, they aren't the end all be all troops maybe anymore. They will be able to deploy in a position to shoot/charge in turn 1 unlike a lot of other things!

One thing that seems to be forgotten here is that your opponent isn't going to be able to alpha your army either. Certain armies got a buff for sure.

I think my friend summed it up perfectly: It’s made screening for armies like guard even better. Turn 1 move up chimeras turn 2 get out and and advance to form a line where you aren’t getting within a roar of the tanks. Same deal with nids, just blast your gaunts out turn 1 then it’s lock down

One thing that seems to be forgotten here is that your opponent isn't going to be able to alpha your army either. Certain armies got a buff for sure.

Quoted for truth. While we lose some tricks (at least until T2), I think it will lead to more interesting games. No more plasmacide squads dropping on T1 to delete your units before you can even use them. Troops in transports might make a bit of a comeback too. The metal bawkses shield them from fire if the enemy gets T1 and then they disembark to set up a screen again drop troops.

Looks like I might actually get to use Captain Smash for his aura buff (at least on T1) :wink:.

As the owner of 5 drop pods and as somebody who built their very first army around deep strike: This sucks.

However, I don't think that we're dead in the water just yet. We still have very powerful units in our codex. Combined with the new Kabal of the Black Heart Stratagem, I don't think it is viable to use Descent of Angels as a crutch to build lists around. I think a return to "Rhino Rush" is in order, supported with deepstriking troops as an option, but not the end-all-be-all of our force.

From a narrative standpoint I'm disappointed, but we are certainly still a workable faction that can win games against strong lists.

It all seems way too heavy handed.

Like how they nerfed Shield of Sanguinius from 4++ to 5++. Ok, cool since every psyker in our army can toss it out to as many units as we like...

...oh, what's that you say? We're only allowed a single attempt at casting it per Turn?

...ok...so then suddenly 4++ doesn't seem that cheesy at all and 5++ seems far less useful.

I need to step away from all this for a moment.

As the owner of 5 drop pods and as somebody who built their very first army around deep strike: This sucks.

Try 7... Yeah, I've used one since 8th happened.

Currently the only advantages a drop pod offers us is the ability to put the few shooty infantry units we have in the (sort of ) right place. Oh and it actually stops any interceptor-style shooting from stratagems, as they have to target the pod.

I'm hoping Drop Pods will see an update in the future making them the only thing able to strike near the enemy turn one. This alone would be a great unique rule for marines that is balanced by cost and the fact that each pod + unit inside is at least two drops so you'd need the same deployed.

I think the beta rule will see some change. The same way they kept smite for armies that rely on them there might be a way to prevent constant alpha strike and keep BA descent from reserves thing. Something like enabling to deep strike within X range of a friendly unit would do the work as most BA list runs scouts for that.

We still have forlorn fury and upon wing of fire for the 1st turn. It’s not so bad.

90% of BA list gets more CP. This is beyond great. 2 battalions list getting +4 cp means they get an additional red rampage+honour the chapter.

Also keep in mind that chaos lost the deep strike/warptime combo. This is a big deal, especially for tzangor bomb.

Same goes for genestealer/ swarmlord free move.

3d6 charge is the most reliable way to melee coming from deep strike.

I don’t like the 50% based on power level, points is how I like to count things

I think the beta rule will see some change. The same way they kept smite for armies that rely on them there might be a way to prevent constant alpha strike and keep BA descent from reserves thing. Something like enabling to deep strike within X range of a friendly unit would do the work as most BA list runs scouts for that.

We still have forlorn fury and upon wing of fire for the 1st turn. It’s not so bad.

90% of BA list gets more CP. This is beyond great. 2 battalions list getting +4 cp means they get an additional red rampage+honour the chapter.

Also keep in mind that chaos lost the deep strike/warptime combo. This is a big deal, especially for tzangor bomb.

Can't run 2 battalions anymore, limit of 1 type of each detatchment.

Forlorn Fury is worthless vs a gunline that can just kill 15 DC in a single shooting phase, and can still be screened against, and Wings of Fire is probably under the same restriction.

If it turns out that wings still works turn 1, we're fine, but otherwise we are going to get shot to hell long before we can threaten somethings backline.

Can't run 2 battalions anymore, limit of 1 type of each detatchment.

Forlorn Fury is worthless vs a gunline that can just kill 15 DC in a single shooting phase, and can still be screened against, and Wings of Fire is probably under the same restriction.

If it turns out that wings still works turn 1, we're fine, but otherwise we are going to get shot to hell long before we can threaten somethings backline.

Care to post where you saw the detachment limit? I can't find that anywhere.

I'm confused, which isn't saying much. It seems that they actually buffed armies that could easily make brigades (​I'm looking at you guard), and gave them more points for taking a brigade.

Also gunline armies got a boost by not having to worry about first turn deepstrikes. Gunline armies, however, can still sit there and shoot.

We'll have to see how this works out, unfortunately now I have no way to threaten those untouchable guard batteries and must suffer through at least 1 turn of shooting before I can start to threaten.

Oh well, let's see what happens.

Archived