Commissars are back! Guard and the big FAQ

H311fi5h

0-3 of each dataslate is a bit vexing in light of only one this, for me, Leman Russ.

Often, if I field them, I find myself wanting to field 4-5. Oh well. Glad I own 10. Some can be tank commanders.

You can still do 3 squads of leman russes (9 russes total), plus 3 tank commanders, plus Pask. 13 Leman Russes without breaking the rule of three!

Guys there seem to be some confusion going on here. Before we spread unwarranted panic, please address or rectify the following :sweat:

- where in the FAQ is this mentioned 'Cadian (trait) nerf'? I cannot see it anywhere

- where in the FAQ is this mentioned 'only 1 detachment of the same type allowed'? As above

How you you think the FAQ effects us?

Do Catachan Leman Russes only re-roll one of the two dice for their main gun using Grinding Advance now? That is quite a nerf. 

This seems like a very poorly worded FAQ question.

Personally I think that they still get to re-roll both of the dice. The question (emphasis mine) says "How many dice does the Brutal Strength Regimental Doctrine allow me to re-roll when a VEHICLE in my army fires a ranged weapon that makes a random number of attacks?". Since the rules of Grinding Advance allow you to "shoot it's turret weapon twice", I would say that this isn't covered by the exact wording of the question. HOWEVER I can see that the intent of this may have been to nerf catachan grinding advance. 

Nah, I don't think that was the intent. I think it was just meant to clarify e.g. a Catachan Baneblade cannon firing 3d6 can only reroll one of those d6 (which was pretty obvious already, but players). I definitely agree that, FAQ-as-written, it does nothing to change Catachan grinding advance because it's the same weapon firing twice and separately. 

Other points in the FAQ seem to address very obvious doubts, by just rewording e.g. some stratagems for better clarity. The Cadian relic was also very cleary a one-use-only thing, glad they finally wrote this clearly. Anyway.

Yeah, I guess I should have said that the intent MAY be interpreted that way by your opponents ;)

- where in the FAQ is this mentioned 'only 1 detachment of the same type allowed'? As above

... Hrm. I saw this mentioned during the Stream, but going back over the FAQ itself to find the wording... I cannot seem to find it either.

I'm very happy about the Commissar changes, I mean I would have liked the original rules, but at least now its not detrimental!

A 50% price drop on each is great for me! I've still been using LC's :smile.:

The other nerf is Cadians losing their Twin Link ability for just +1 to hit instead which is still pretty good!

I wish they'd clarified orders though, ie do you have to take them immediately and if you're stacking orders does that mean they get to shoot twice if the orders relate to re-roll hits / wounds.

I'm surprised Bullgryns didn't get an interim points increase, not complaining though :smile.:

What do you mean with the Cadians nerf?

I dont understand it

My bad, I thought they'd re-worded the RD that gave them effective twin linked with the order.

0-3 of each dataslate is a bit vexing in light of only one this, for me, Leman Russ.

Often, if I field them, I find myself wanting to field 4-5. Oh well. Glad I own 10. Some can be tank commanders.

Its 0-3 of the datasheet! 

So if you're taking LR's in squadrons then you're ok ;)

Actually Guard certainly stand to gain even more from this FAQ than most others! :D

Throw in the FW Leman Russ variants and you end up being able to field with over 20 LRs. I do not think that is ever going to be an issue.

Hellhounds: same thing, and as long as the Artemia does not get a pts fix (unneeded, but who knows...) we also have that. As above.

The only real limitation that the 3x datasheet rule can introduce for AM seems to concern the number of Company Commanders and possibly hws (i.e. mortars) spam. Which seems to me very fair, and anyway we have Commissar Lords now to fill those HQ slots and help our Catachan mini-brawlers. 

Valk took at hit with "if the valkryie move 20" or more, you must roll..."

Means you need to hover to jump out safe.

I think that was already a thing right?

I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, you had to move over 20". So you could fly the minimum 20" and still jump out.

That was part of the last FAQ change, it's not new to the one released today

You are correct though, previously you could fly exactly 20" and they avoided the penalty.

Now you have to hover because as soon as you hit 20" you have to take the test.

It isn't too bad, because at that point depending on what your payload is your opponent is more concerned about what you dropped off than the valk. It also allows you to rotate it so its facing the right direction the next turn. 

Lord Commissar is now the cheapest HQ in the game I believe. Nice way to round off a Detachment. As for the 0-3 data slate restriction literally doesn't affect Astra due to vehicle squadrons. Pretty good. Not sure what to do with 8CP, but I ain't complaining.

The Catachan nerf isn't a thing.

The question was framed "when i shoot my weapons, how many can reroll their shot dice?" The answer was one of them. You're asking "when can the reroll proc?" And the answer is each time a weapon fires.

That was part of the last FAQ change, it's not new to the one released today

You are correct though, previously you could fly exactly 20" and they avoided the penalty.

Now you have to hover because as soon as you hit 20" you have to take the test.

It isn't too bad, because at that point depending on what your payload is your opponent is more concerned about what you dropped off than the valk. It also allows you to rotate it so its facing the right direction the next turn. 

Allow me to ninja the thread. Does the 9" restriction only apply when disembarking after having moved more than 20" or no matter when and how you disembark with this rule?

I would imagine the 9" restriction would apply as soon as you try and disembark using the grav chute rule.

Ie. As soon as you disembark after moving the vehicle, as opposed to disembarking at the beginning of the phase per standard rules

Commissar thing is nice.

0-3 rule . . . :down:

Yeah, don't worry, I didn't want to use my HWSs anyway. Get stuffed, GW.

You used more than 3 in a list??

I haven't even used 1 this edition (or last...)

Although I feel the 0-3 might be heavy handed, its for primarily tournament play, which really needed to be addressed because otherwise they'll just keep playing whack-a-mole. I think it will be good for the scene in general :)

I also really hate the rule of 3

I usealy play 4 CC (i mean he is the only good HQ choice we have)

So makes me this to a spamlist player?

I think not!

In addition it limits the way you could list build.

No mass Infantry anymore, no Tank army anymore,....

I'am really happy that this nonsense only effects organized play.

So i can still play fluffy and good Guard lists in my local Community

Not quite. Scion Command squads can take either a hotshot laspistol and vox caster or a hotshot Las pistol, hotshot lasgun and a vox caster. That means if you want the hotshot lasgun you have to pay extra.

Not quite. Scion Command squads can take either a hotshot laspistol and vox caster or a hotshot Las pistol, hotshot lasgun and a vox caster. That means if you want the hotshot lasgun you have to pay extra.

Id rather have to pay for the pistol than chop up my 5 scion voxes though :)

Troops are noted as being exempt, and as noted earlier, Tanks can be taken in Squadrons to still field a full army of them.

Not that a full list of either was a good idea in tournaments anyway...

I also really hate the rule of 3

I usealy play 4 CC (i mean he is the only good HQ choice we have)

So makes me this to a spamlist player?

I think not!

In addition it limits the way you could list build.

I'am really happy that this nonsense only effects organized play.

So i can still play fluffy and good Guard lists in my local Community

Just use platoon commanders.

Archived