Commissars are back! Guard and the big FAQ

H311fi5h

why didn't they just revert the changes to the Commissar so it worked like it used to most other codexies have a way to make their models fearless for now, though i do admit the price drop is Nice and it only cost Fluffy Infantry lists 

28icb4.jpg

Happy about Commissars - Leadership bubble and risky moral mitigation. Combined with the points drop, I'm super happy.

Command points - :eek: Obviously the goal is to make stratagems a bigger part of the game. That's an insane amount of CP

One pet peeve of mine wasn't addressed, (and likely never will be given it's been 20+ years since the first dex dropped) namely a Lasgun option for Infantry Squad Sergeants. Come on GW, a Guardsman with a Chainsword? What's he going to do with it? Open tinned rations?

-Ran

Commissar thing is nice.

0-3 rule . . . :down:

Yeah, don't worry, I didn't want to use my HWSs anyway. Get stuffed, GW.

You used more than 3 in a list??

I haven't even used 1 this edition (or last...)

Although I feel the 0-3 might be heavy handed, its for primarily tournament play, which really needed to be addressed because otherwise they'll just keep playing whack-a-mole. I think it will be good for the scene in general :smile.:

Yep, I've frequently used 6. Because I enjoy playing all-infantry lists and HWSs are a big part of them.

0-3 of each dataslate is a bit vexing in light of only one this, for me, Leman Russ.

Often, if I field them, I find myself wanting to field 4-5. Oh well. Glad I own 10. Some can be tank commanders.

You can still do 3 squads of leman russes (9 russes total), plus 3 tank commanders, plus Pask. 13 Leman Russes without breaking the rule of three!

Right, they come in squadrons. I’ve got to remember that.

I also really hate the rule of 3

I usealy play 4 CC (i mean he is the only good HQ choice we have)

So makes me this to a spamlist player?

I think not!

In addition it limits the way you could list build.

No mass Infantry anymore, no Tank army anymore,....

I'am really happy that this nonsense only effects organized play.

So i can still play fluffy and good Guard lists in my local Community

You can still run tons of Infantry, still run tons of tanks, and we have more than 1 good HQ.

* Look below the restrictions table it doesn't effect Troops. And as mentioned, we have squadrons.

Allow me to ninja the thread. Does the 9" restriction only apply when disembarking after having moved more than 20" or no matter when and how you disembark with this rule?

The 9" restriction is when using the Grav Chute Insertion (IE Moving "20) - otherwise you treat it as a normal transport vehicle.

Just read this one:

Q: Some Characters have aura abilities, such as a

Commissar’s Aura of Discipline or a Chaplain’s Spiritual Leader, that allow nearby friendly units to use the character’s Leadership characteristic instead of their own. There are also lots of abilities that modify Leadership characteristics. Could you explain

how these rules interact and in what order I should apply the substitution and any modifications?

A: You modify the Leadership characteristic first,

then you use the character’s Leadership characteristic

instead (this means that the modification will not affect

the unit unless the character’s Leadership has also

been modified)

Means my Mordians dont get to add one to Commissar or Banner buffs :(

Edit:

Banner should still work as its +1. However Commissars wont. Im ok with that :)

Just to go a little deeper on my last post:

The beta rule for deep strike really hampers the Elysian list. The ability to deep strike was the trade off for not having tanks, artillery, heavy weapons in squads, Las Canon teams, psychers. Plus their cost of 5ppm instead of 4ppm. They are a very restrictive list due to their defining feature of bring drop troops, and losing the ability to deep strike and shoot at close range, there is really no reason left to take them.

Just read this one:

Q: Some Characters have aura abilities, such as a

Commissar’s Aura of Discipline or a Chaplain’s Spiritual Leader, that allow nearby friendly units to use the character’s Leadership characteristic instead of their own. There are also lots of abilities that modify Leadership characteristics. Could you explain

how these rules interact and in what order I should apply the substitution and any modifications?

A: You modify the Leadership characteristic first,

then you use the character’s Leadership characteristic

instead (this means that the modification will not affect

the unit unless the character’s Leadership has also

been modified)

Means my Mordians dont get to add one to Commissar or Banner buffs :sad.:

Edit:

Banner should still work as its +1. However Commissars wont. Im ok with that :smile.:

Too bad the banner doesn't get the ordo prefectus keyword.  But with the price decrease there isn't too much to complain about there.  Still though, commissar tank will get the +1, since they are  <Regiment>

Another bit that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is that abilities and stratagems that are used before the battle happen before deployment.  This would have an effect on the the grand strategist warlord trait since the warlord isn't be the field.  With that and the extra command points from Battlions and Brigades, I think a lot fewer people will be running that trait.  We just have so many.  Creed + Kell (plus warlord trait) the other hand, could really pick up the slack on our new shortage of commanders.

I also really hate the rule of 3

I usealy play 4 CC (i mean he is the only good HQ choice we have)

So makes me this to a spamlist player?

I think not!

In addition it limits the way you could list build.

I'am really happy that this nonsense only effects organized play.

So i can still play fluffy and good Guard lists in my local Community

You can still run tons of Infantry, still run tons of tanks, and we have more than 1 good HQ.

I know that Troops are not effected by this Rule

but you can't run more than 3 Comany Commander to Order them, or you can't run more than 3 HWTs to support them,or you can't run more than 3 Commissars to Moral boost them,... the List goes on:blush.:

And for Tanks

Swadrones aren't that great. you just get all the disadvantage(must be deployed close together, only takes 1 HS slot so filling Detachments is hard) for no advantage

And well a Tank Commander is also really nice but he isn't a very Good HQ choice more a BS upgrade for the Tank.

all the other HQ choices in the Codex(Primaris Psyker,Lord Commissar,....) have only limited Synergy's with the other units.

I might overreact a little bit to this Anti-Spam rule but i don't like the Idea of being punished for a crime i didn't commit.

4 CC for example i wouldn't call this a spam but a fluffy list

But you could run 3 company Commanders and 3 platoon Commanders for 9 orders per turn, 3 Commissars and 3 Lord Commissars for a total of 6 and with their price drops that wouldn't be too pricy. If you wanted to use a few of your additional control points, you could also have 3 Commissar tanks, for a total of 9 Commissars.

I had noticed that all Commissars except the Elysians got a price reduction, so I sent this email tonight:

Hello rules team,

First I want to say that it's so great to have a GW that actually wants to interact and dialogue with its customers. I played 40k from 3rd edition until the beginning of 6th and have just recently come back to 8th to discover a much more community oriented company!

I do have a couple of items to bring up right away from the big faq that just dropped though,

First, I believe that Elysian Lord Commissars were missed when it came to point adjustments. Their rules were changed in the Imperial Armour faq, but in the big faq only Astra Militarum Commissars, Astra Militarum Lord Commissars, Death Korps Commissars and Death Korps Death Rider Commissars recieved point drops. I'm fairly confident that this was an oversight so I thought I'd bring it up.

Second, I'd like to address the Tactical Reserves Beta rule from the perspective of an Elysian player:

The beta rule for deep strike really hampers the Elysian list. The ability to deep strike was the trade off for not having tanks, artillery, heavy weapons in squads, Las Canon teams, psychers. Plus their cost of 5ppm instead of 4ppm. They are a very restrictive list due to their defining feature of bring drop troops with the ability to deep strike and shoot at close range from the get go. Without this ability there is really no reason left to pay the points premium and accept the additional list restrictions to take them.

I really hope that this is taken into consideration when refining this rule. I hope that they can be given the same kind of exception that genestealer cult are seeing, and that Grey Knights and Thousand Sons recieved from the Psychic Focus rule! They were given a pass as the rule basicly invalidated their core design feature as an army, and I believe that this new Beta Rule does the same to Elysians.

Once again, thanks for listening and continually working in making 40k a better game!

Steffan Hartwick

* Look below the restrictions table it doesn't effect Troops. And as mentioned, we have squadrons.

Allow me to ninja the thread. Does the 9" restriction only apply when disembarking after having moved more than 20" or no matter when and how you disembark with this rule?

The 9" restriction is when using the Grav Chute Insertion (IE Moving "20) - otherwise you treat it as a normal transport vehicle.

So, what you’re saying is that I cheated when I hovered 19” and dropped the Bullgryns 4” away from the enemy? That sounds unsavoury :D

——

By the way, this gives Wyvern a reason to exist. You can take 3x3 HS Mortar Teams now at 2000, whereas Wyvern laugh at those restrictions with squadrons ;)

Edit: Oh, and Valkyries will now we really important for Scions, seeing as you can not deep strike outside of your deployment zone on T1. A 40” move will being the Plasma dudes where they need to be ;)

Archived