Commissars are back! Guard and the big FAQ

H311fi5h

Although I expect the deep strike rules to get toned down from what they just published, I would assume there will be at least some restrictions kept in place. So with that being said, are Tank Commanders going to be more valuable now that the risk of being nuked from reserve units is sort of mitigated? Or no?

I don't think the problem with Tank commanders was vulnerability to reserves. They could be bubblewrapped like everything else.

Their problem is that you pay +40 pts for a thing that dies just as easily a normal Leman Russ, and that only has the potential to be a bit more effective/survivable, i.e. if you go first. Which, on average, tends to happen less than half of the times. Their problem is probably that of being overcosted, because it's debatable whether that potential is worth 40 pts, and that remains unaddressed by the FAQ.

My tank commander survived first turn only once in four games just to die before my second turn and he was shooting with bs 5+ when he got the opportunity. I'm seriously thinking the unit is an overcosted distraction carnifex 

They've only ever had value when used in tank heavy lists. Sure, shoot the tank commander and leave the super heavy :).

Also tallarn tank commander gain much more survivability as they can order themselves for extra mobility. With the -1 everywhere tank commanders are more relevant than ever. Also I can run 3 russ tc with punishers in a supreme command to get my super heavy its doctrine rules.

Certainly not a complete writeoff

I've had some great success with my tank commander but I do field him in a very interesting role. I have him kitted out with punisher cannon, and triple heavy flamers. He is the perfect mop up to tzaangors, genestealers, cultist bomb, da jumped boyz, or whatever else comes out of reserve or warptime or whatever. With this set up he is not much of a threat to the enemy armor or big guns so they tend to ignore him. I keep him with my regular russes and first turn double up on his orders for strike and shroud to give them some more survivability while he can pop smoke himself or just hide behind the russes/LOS cover.

I know this is not an optimal set up for the tank commander but I have had him lasting till the end of the game multiple times because he is a counter-assaulter and can hide while still being useful for his orders. Just my $0.02

Now, does the Catachan doctrine add onto that Ld9, or is their native leadership with the bonus overruled by the Lord Commisar, making it pointless?

The FAQ addressed this

If the leadership of another model can be used this is done instead of bonuses.

So Officer + Banner will give you +2 Ld, a Commissar or LC will just give you their flat value with no additional bonuses

Now, does the Catachan doctrine add onto that Ld9, or is their native leadership with the bonus overruled by the Lord Commisar, making it pointless?

The FAQ addressed this

If the leadership of another model can be used this is done instead of bonuses.

So Officer + Banner will give you +2 Ld, a Commissar or LC will just give you their flat value with no additional bonuses

Slight caveat. ^ this, unless the flat leadership model also gets the bonus. A commissar w +1 Ld would pass on his Ld+1.

What happens if a Commissar has Voice of Command?

How do you give a commissar Voice of Command? 

Do you have to designate 1 commissar (Yarrick, Lord, regular) as your Warlord and give him Master of Command trait?

What happens if a Commissar has Voice of Command?

How do you give a commissar Voice of Command?

Do you have to designate 1 commissar (Yarrick, Lord, regular) as your Warlord and give him Master of Command trait?

Yep, and he can order any regiment.

Fun possibility for the Lord Commissar for me is combining it with a Krieg combat engineer squad in an Astra Militarum vanguard detachment with the two astropaths you were going to take anyway - Krieg officers don't get the Take Aim order but the Lord Commissar will finally allowing you to reroll those 1s on carcass shot and plasma. 

Good stuff. 

They've only ever had value when used in tank heavy lists. Sure, shoot the tank commander and leave the super heavy :).

Also tallarn tank commander gain much more survivability as they can order themselves for extra mobility. With the -1 everywhere tank commanders are more relevant than ever. Also I can run 3 russ tc with punishers in a supreme command to get my super heavy its doctrine rules.

Can tank commanders order themselves? I thought there was an FAQ that said they couldn't, but I might just be imagining that

They've only ever had value when used in tank heavy lists. Sure, shoot the tank commander and leave the super heavy :smile.:.

Can tank commanders order themselves? I thought there was an FAQ that said they couldn't, but I might just be imagining that

They can, anything saying otherwise is pre codex.  The Codex rewrote the rule.

Is it best to put your tank commander in a LRBT with a Punisher/Autocannon/other non D weapon?

That way he benefits his turret with his higher BS, and can use his order to order another LRBT with a Battle/Demolisher cannon that can reroll D6/3 attacks.

Archived