The Big FAQ: Chaos Changes

Kaiju Soze

The big changes:

Tide of Traitors is now once per battle.

Chosen get more weapon options (melee weapons for all the squad)

Killshot now adds 1 to the damage, not just damage rolls (so works with the autocannon).

Edit to add: Helbrutes can also apparently take 2 of each melee weapon. Hello, 11 attack twin-scourge 'brutes.

The big changes:

I've not read though them all yet.  But just wanted to check, does this mean Chosen are ok to take Bolter, Bolt Pistol & Chainsword.  Or is this just more aim that combat weapon like Power Sword, Power Fist, etc....?

Also the Chaos Index & Forge World faq are up.

Siege dreadnought, contemptor & Dredo (sp?) Dreadnought are not allowed to use the fire frenzy command card.

Sparta ignore the -1 to Heavy Weapon when moving & shooting.  Not sure if that a new thing, just saw it was in the colour text.

The big changes:

I've not read though them all yet. But just wanted to check, does this mean Chosen are ok to take Bolter, Bolt Pistol & Chainsword. Or is this just more aim that combat weapon like Power Sword, Power Fist, etc....?

Any model in the unit can have an item from the melee list. So, the first one. Also, taking a plasma pistol only replaces the bolt pistol (though you can not have plasma pistol & combi-weapon).

Ok, now I'm more interested in Chosen... a future project perhaps! I note that you can summon daemons without losing your Legion Trait (but not if they start on the board), that's something. Summoning still doesn't feel amazing though.

I am very pleased with the spartan changes!

Yep. It should never have had a penalty for shooting heavy weapons as a Lord of War. Makes it much more cost competitive with a Land Raider.

The Kharybdis Assault Claw took a big hit though, now you can't use Warptime on it. Costs about the same as a Land Raider but doesn't have the wounds / save to survive a round of shooting.

I get it that GW is trying to blunt the impact of alpha strikes, but this cripples the KAC.

As per the faq for Index: Chaos, and further clarified in the main rules faq - Warptime no longer works on units brought in as reinforcements. 

Where are you seeing this? I just checked and the Index: Chaos FAQ has not been updated since last September. I've read the Big FAQ, the updated Codex: CSM FAQ, and I just read the 9/2017 Index: Chaos FAQ. The first two make no mention of warptime, and the last one still says that you specifically can target a unit brought in as reinforcements.

As per the faq for Index: Chaos, and further clarified in the main rules faq - Warptime no longer works on units brought in as reinforcements. 

I'm not seeing this anywhere. In the Index it confirms you can, and neither the CSM or Summary makes mention of it. 

Where are you seeing this? I just checked and the Index: Chaos FAQ has not been updated since last September. I've read the Big FAQ, the updated Codex: CSM FAQ, and I just read the 9/2017 Index: Chaos FAQ. The first two make no mention of warptime, and the last one still says that you specifically can target a unit brought in as reinforcements.

Page 3 of the newly updated Index: Chaos FAQ (16/4/2018).  The answer is in magenta, which suggests it's a change from the previous versions.  A bit odd to me that it isn't also in the Codex: CSM FAQ.

They just changed the "Yes" to a magenta "No". Had to check twice as well.

They just changed the "Yes" to a magenta "No". Had to check twice as well.

Of course they did.

Yeah. I barely noticed it too. And in the main FAQ, they point out that, basically if you arrive as reinforcements, you don't get to move at all unless it's to charge. They refer to Warptime specifically as well as similar Tyranid abilities (page 5 of BRB FAQ).

BRB FAQ, Page 8, 

"Is the deployment step of a mission considered a 'phase' for the purposes of rules? No"

Forward Operatives just got HILARIOUS

Didn't we already know this?  Though you're not wrong.

Gosh darn it, I just realized the new Battle Brothers rule ruins my Fallen army! I can't play Codex: Dark Angels stuff with Cypher, since they only have Imperium in common...

Actually, how are you supposed to be able to play Cypher? The rule cuts out all of his faction keywords except "Fallen", which basically means he and the Fallen can only ever be played in minimum size Fallen Vanguard detachments with no other units? This seems like a major oversight...

Edit: Nevermind, it's a beta rule. Hopefully they'll iron out that particular issue before it releases.

Page 3 of the newly updated Index: Chaos FAQ (16/4/2018).  The answer is in magenta, which suggests it's a change from the previous versions.  A bit odd to me that it isn't also in the Codex: CSM FAQ.

This is probably because the rule change affects Nids and Eldar also.  

Gosh darn it, I just realized the new Battle Brothers rule ruins my Fallen army! I can't play Codex: Dark Angels stuff with Cypher, since they only have Imperium in common...

Actually, how are you supposed to be able to play Cypher? The rule cuts out all of his faction keywords except "Fallen", which basically means he and the Fallen can only ever be played in minimum size Fallen Vanguard detachments with no other units? This seems like a major oversight...

Yeah....they need to errata Shadowy Allies, because right now the wording makes it impossible to use in Matched Play because of the new Keyword issue. Otherwise....yeah, Vanguard.

And for your Fallen, you can still use them with DA in their own Vanguard Detachment. The Keyword restriction is only WITHIN detachments.

BRB FAQ, Page 8, 

"Is the deployment step of a mission considered a 'phase' for the purposes of rules? No"

Forward Operatives just got HILARIOUS

Didn't we already know this?  Though you're not wrong.

We did. And in addition, things like Forward Operatives are specifically exempted from the "no Reserves on 1st turn" rule because of how they work.

Yeah....they need to errata Shadowy Allies, because right now the wording makes it impossible to use in Matched Play because of the new Keyword issue. Otherwise....yeah, Vanguard.

And for your Fallen, you can still use them with DA in their own Vanguard Detachment. The Keyword restriction is only WITHIN detachments.

Ah, that makes sense. Unfortunately I don't have any actual Fallen models at the moment...the DA/Fallen force was just to give myself an excuse for me to buy Know No Fear for the Death Guard when I couldn't find anyone who would split it with me, and of course there aren't any Primaris Fallen. I was able to excuse a chapter of Primaris working with Cypher as the Dark Angels failing to let the new guys in on their secrets, but I haven't really found any good source of Dark Angels regular space marine models since Dark Vengeance left shelves.

I find the Helbrute entry a bit odd. It comes only with one Fist by default so can only replace that one anyway. I didn't think it's possible to juggle with the loadout like that (trading the ranged weapon for a fist and then trading that one for another melee weapon).

Tho if that's how it's intended I kinda want a double Scourge Helbrute now ... 10 S8 AP-2 D2 attacks hitting on 3+ lol

Archived